Corps Fees

I don't know about open class, but to audition for world class you need to initiate the auditioning process. Do what most others do and go to the corps website. Look for staff e-mails and shoot them messages. I promise you that Spirit's staff will be more than happy to take people with prior drum corps experience. Finances can be worked out and problems with traveling can also be worked out.

Good luck with SoA! I'm sure they'll have another great year.

Well I've already sent e-mails to the corps director and the brass caption head, but no response yet. I'm not expecting a response too soon either. I'm hoping maybe I can work out a deal with them involving video auditions and a special plan for members coming from far away (like BD has). We'll see. Like I said though, if I march Cadets or Surf I won't be disappointed one bit. I just want to see what's possible first before I commit to anybody. Audition fees are nothing compared to the rest of the cost of a corps, but it's a lot wasted if you don't end up marching there so I want to be at least 51% sure beforehand that the corps I'm auditioning for is one that I can be happy with.

Thanks! Honestly the corps I really want to join is Spirit of Atlanta. I loved their 2010 and 2011 shows more than most of the better corps. If I can't do that then I'm perfectly content with the Cadets or Jersey Surf, but like I said before I want to explore several options. If anybody on the Spirit staff is reading this, can you please PM me?

I know you probably mean well, but don't be over-presumptuous and assume that you're going to walk into whatever corps you want to and make it. Show a little respect. The reality is that you've never marched for a drum corps before and no college marching band will ever adequately prepare you for the demands of marching in the big leagues; it could take someone years to make the corps that they really want to be a part of. In fact, there are groups out there that may not take any rookies at the audition at all, even if they thought they played well enough; they could be waiting for someone better. This isn't like some high school audition and you know it's in the bag cause you're the star player. The higher-end corps can be selective. Keep in mind that there are several elements of the audition process that you can't prepare for. The safest thing to do is to seriously evaluate your abilities as they are and go for the one corps you think you might have a shot at on the first try. If your intent is to march for your rook-out year, then try to have a back-up plan and the money to support it for if/when your original plans fall though. That might mean that you'll have to work a little harder than you're used to to save up. You wouldn't be the first person that's had to work through school to pay for fees and plane tickets. There are several less-experienced corps out there that look for members right before the season starts. This isn't a cheap thing to do and no one is going to let you do it for free, especially if you're a rookie.

• Like 5

I know you probably mean well, but don't be over-presumptuous and assume that you're going to walk into whatever corps you want to and make it. Show a little respect. The reality is that you've never marched for a drum corps before and no college marching band will ever adequately prepare you for the demands of marching in the big leagues; it could take someone years to make the corps that they really want to be a part of. In fact, there are groups out there that may not take any rookies at the audition at all, even if they thought they played well enough; they could be waiting for someone better. This isn't like some high school audition and you know it's in the bag cause you're the star player. The higher-end corps can be selective. Keep in mind that there are several elements of the audition process that you can't prepare for. The safest thing to do is to seriously evaluate your abilities as they are and go for the one corps you think you might have a shot at on the first try. If your intent is to march for your rook-out year, then try to have a back-up plan and the money to support it for if/when your original plans fall though. That might mean that you'll have to work a little harder than you're used to to save up. You wouldn't be the first person that's had to work through school to pay for fees and plane tickets. There are several less-experienced corps out there that look for members right before the season starts. This isn't a cheap thing to do and no one is going to let you do it for free, especially if you're a rookie.

Thanks for the first negative post in this entire thread, but you're arguing about nothing. First of all, I do have drum corps experience as I have stated in my original post. And second, I never said I was going to make it immediately, nor do I think I would ever stand a chance if I actually thought that way. One of the reasons I'm bringing up this topic less than a week after the 2011 season is because I want to start making decisions so I can get the audition packets and start working my ### off. Also, once again, look at my other posts regarding working for money. If it was an option I would get a job, but my parents would cut me off if I ever spent time that I could be using to study on other things (the only reason why drum corps is okay is because it's only 1-2 weekends a month until school is over). And they would never speak to me again if I even considered taking a year off from school for ANY reason. I love drum corps and will do anything in my power to age out with a corps I like, but family and education do take priority.

• Like 2

Thanks for the first negative post in this entire thread, but you're arguing about nothing. First of all, I do have drum corps experience as I have stated in my original post. And second, I never said I was going to make it immediately, nor do I think I would ever stand a chance if I actually thought that way. One of the reasons I'm bringing up this topic less than a week after the 2011 season is because I want to start making decisions so I can get the audition packets and start working my ### off. Also, once again, look at my other posts regarding working for money. If it was an option I would get a job, but my parents would cut me off if I ever spent time that I could be using to study on other things (the only reason why drum corps is okay is because it's only 1-2 weekends a month until school is over). And they would never speak to me again if I even considered taking a year off from school for ANY reason. I love drum corps and will do anything in my power to age out with a corps I like, but family and education do take priority.

I didn't take his post as being negative or argumentative, just pointing out the difficulties you're facing and none of it's going to be easy. One more thing you're going to need if you want to march WC on a full tour - a thicker skin for interactions wth both staff and members when it gets to be late July and you're in Texas or Arkansas. :tongue:

Edited to add:

When I was young enough to march, my parents had the same attitude as your description and I didn't march and dropped the idea altogether without a second thought. If I had to do it all over again, I'd march and take the consequences. It's your life, your decision. Either way, please be sure you're making the decision for you and no one else. Best of luck in your journey.

Edited by Shamu89
  • Like 6

I apologize for overlooking your corps experience. But in the eyes of a different corps, you're still a rookie. I'm only offering genuine advice a well of a reality check and it's not up to me if you can't see it that way. It's the truth. I'm all for you auditioning for my corps, but it's also not very tactful or respectful to assume that a corps that just won the DCI World Championship is going to let you walk right in. I think you're old enough to understand that. Going to school won't teach you how to stand up for what you believe in, nor will any book teach you what you are capable of accomplishing. If your parents are really against you working your ### off to accomplish your goals and dreams, then you need to find your own way to support yourself, because this is the only life that you are going to have. They won't have any reason to not support you if you can keep a 4.0 and work at the same time. While it's possible, it just means that you'll have to work that much harder. One of the most important lessons that anyone can learn is how to stand up for themselves. Are you prepared to do that?

• Like 5

I apologize for overlooking your corps experience. But in the eyes of a different corps, you're still a rookie. I'm only offering genuine advice a well of a reality check and it's not up to me if you can't see it that way. It's the truth. I'm all for you auditioning for my corps, but it's also not very tactful or respectful to assume that a corps that just won the DCI World Championship is going to let you walk right in. I think you're old enough to understand that. Going to school won't teach you how to stand up for what you believe in, nor will any book teach you what you are capable of accomplishing. If your parents are really against you working your ### off to accomplish your goals and dreams, then you need to find your own way to support yourself, because this is the only life that you are going to have. They won't have any reason to not support you if you can keep a 4.0 and work at the same time. While it's possible, it just means that you'll have to work that much harder. One of the most important lessons that anyone can learn is how to stand up for themselves. Are you prepared to do that?

Like I said (that's starting to become my catchphrase :tongue: ), I'm not expecting to walk right in and get a spot. I've been involved with drum corps long enough and seen enough of my friends march World Class to know what it takes, and I want to prepare for that. If I don't make Cadets/Spirit/etc., I'll march Jersey Surf. If I don't make that, I'll accept a contract with an Open Class corps. I'm determined to age out, one way or another.

Anyway, I think I figured out what I'm going to do. Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback. It was really helpful! I personally think the admins should keep this thread open for other people who have the same concerns as me, but it's up to them.

Edited by MetalTones2012
  • Like 1

While its not recommended if your planning on marching anywhere outside the top 8 or so then I would suggest not going to the camps as they're not worth it and if your trying to get a brass spot those holes are still going to be there by the last camp. If your trying to get a drumline spot your going to be hard pressed to grab a spot anywhere come February. I know that spirit has fairly low tour fees around 2000ish.

While its not recommended if your planning on marching anywhere outside the top 8 or so then I would suggest not going to the camps as they're not worth it and if your trying to get a brass spot those holes are still going to be there by the last camp. If your trying to get a drumline spot your going to be hard pressed to grab a spot anywhere come February. I know that spirit has fairly low tour fees around 2000ish.

Camps aren't "worth it"? :blink: