A new rule proposal

The beauty of new technology is that more and more artists are doing exactly that, and for a fraction of what it allegedly costs the record companies. YouTube, iTunes, the web, and social media enable artists to get their music out there easier, cheaper, and more effectively than ever.

That's the main reason the record companies are in a total panic mode. It's a paradigm shift that takes them out of the equation.

True to a point, but it still will cost a musician or a band many thousands and thousands of dollars for "real" exposure with little return on their investment. Because to really progress through the career path they must also gain live exposure at many venues while on a multi-state tour in which the gigs pay little more than gas and food money. As for YouTube, you say the "beauty" of new technology I say the "beast" of new technology. For example, whether you hated this song or not, Rebeca Black had close to a million hits on her YouTube video of her song Friday, but she did not receive any money at all, whatsoever, from those viewings. That to me, more than the song itself, was the real shame (millions of viewers, no money received from those viewings).

Why not just hire a law firm so we can pay them $500,000,000 to sort it out?

Judge Judy would do it for half of that.

• Like 1

As for YouTube, you say the "beauty" of new technology I say the "beast" of new technology. For example, whether you hated this song or not, Rebeca Black had close to a million hits on her YouTube video of her song Friday, but she did not receive any money at all, whatsoever, from those viewings. That to me, more than the song itself, was the real shame (millions of viewers, no money received from those viewings).

Well, not so fast. Rebecca Black made a ton of money selling Friday on iTunes. How did all of the people that bought the song find it? YouTube. Studies have shown YouTube is a very, very large driver of iTunes purchases. Many bands even include iTunes and Amazon Music links right there in the video, embedded and in the descriptor.

"No member corps will be allowed to play a piece of music in competition until all the relevant licences have been granted".

It's a reasonable thought but it's just not that simple. Very often the copyright holders respond extremely slowly. The copyright firm working with DCI is very experienced and very good at knowing which pieces are likely to receive the ok, and which ones may be a problem, and the likely price point(s). In some cases you never hear back, because some copyright holders just don't think it's worth their time to respond. Some purposely don't respond, because it's cheaper to do nothing and wait to pounce on you if you hit it big. Very often you go with the most likely outcome and put an appropriate amount of money in escrow for when (and if) the official ok and price comes through. As mentioned earlier, sometimes the granting of rights changes, throwing another monkey wrench into the picture.

These days, it's pretty remarkable that they're only losing of a tune or two every couple of years. DCI and the corps are doing a very good job in this area, in my opinion. They were certainly helpful to us in facilitating the release of the 1972 and 1974-76 material.

• Like 2

Well, not so fast. Rebecca Black made a ton of money selling Friday on iTunes. How did all of the people that bought the song find it? YouTube. Studies have shown YouTube is a very, very large driver of iTunes purchases. Many bands even include iTunes and Amazon Music links right there in the video, embedded and in the descriptor.

I was not aware of her itunes sales; thanks for the enlightenment! Glad she made some cash!! However, since there are many free YouTube downloaders available, along with many free Mp3 converters, wouldn't there also be a large number of computer savvy people who would just go that route bypassing paying her for her, um, creation?

I was not aware of her itunes sales; thanks for the enlightenment! Glad she made some cash!! However, since there are many free YouTube downloaders available, along with many free Mp3 converters, wouldn't there also be a large number of computer savvy people who would just go that route bypassing paying her for her, um, creation?

Perhaps, but you'd have a lower quality version of it. Since the iTunes file is of a higher bitrate, you get to listen to it at the very highest...um, quality.

I wish all copyright holders realized this fact: Once I heard the Scouts play their 2001 closer, I went home that very night and purchased the entire Alicia Keys Mp3 album containing the song Empire State of Mind Part II. I can also go back through every year I have heard/seen drum corps shows and point to origonal source material which I discovered, and then purchased, due to hearing a drum corps arrangement. How copyright holders can argue with that is beyond me.

No matter how small the scale, the net effect of this flap, unless it's settled, will be an increase in copyright infringement as people rip the DVD to put the music back in and pass it along.

Of that I have no doubt.

In the immortal words of Captain Kirk, "The word is no. I am therefore going anyway."

Edited by Kamarag