Madison

facebook... MADISON SCOUTS! You can find it there, very classy!

Ah, it's a different Madison Scouts page from the one I usually visit. Thanks!

It seems permission was granted for an insurance company to use the song along with the video for a commercial during a football game today. I have watched close to a dozen times, so far.

I would say that the people with the right to say yes or no were financially compensated appropriately by an entity who could pay for the rights as opposed to a non-profit hoping to get a break.

And the problem is? What? Whoever owns the sync rights thought it was fine for the State Farm tribute to the FDNY but not for the Madison Scouts on the DCI DVD. That is their prerogative as the owner of the sync rights. So again, what is the problem?

And the problem is? What? Whoever owns the sync rights thought it was fine for the State Farm tribute to the FDNY but not for the Madison Scouts on the DCI DVD. That is their prerogative as the owner of the sync rights. So again, what is the problem?

I can't see anywhere that I wrote it was a problem. I made an observation and commented on it.

I am a big supporter of free market capitalism.

I can't see anywhere that I wrote it was a problem. I made an observation and commented on it.

I am a big supporter of free market capitalism.

Tone of voice is hard to gauge in written form; of course you did not write that there was a problem. I was merely asking a question based on your observation. Glad that you are a free market capitalist!

There is a huge contradiction in your conclusion: Your reasoning against overconfidence actually does indicate probable overconfidence by the corps!!

Yeah, realized this after the posting, so I will concede that perhaps overconfidence played a part. Still not lazy though! :)

Securing ALL required rights was not a problem for any 2011 DCI corps except for Scouts. It wasn't too impractical for every other corps in DCI to program shows that cleared all required rights and permissions.

You do realize that this is not the first time this has happened, right? See: Phantom 08, Troopers (was it last year?) and an entire Kiwanis Kavaliers show back in the 90s. I only mention this because you keep bringing up the point that Madison is the only corps with this problem THIS year.

Noticed that in the State Farm commercial too. Even thought that maybe that had some bearing on the refusal to license, since the commercial used the song in almost the exact way the Scouts did... as a theme to signify the resolution/recovery of NYC. Probably not, but I did think it.

I would say that the people with the right to say yes or no were financially compensated appropriately by an entity who could pay for the rights as opposed to a non-profit hoping to get a break.

The non-profits have to pay too, ya know...

The non-profits have to pay too, ya know...

Indeed. But, State Farm has the money to pay what it took to get the permission. A non-profit... not as likely. I doubt that anyone within the DCI system approached the hold out with a "what's it gonna take..." dialogue. State Farm most likely had lawyers doing just that. I dunno, just thinking out loud, here.