Now That Soloists are Plugged-in

You think all symphony orchestras have exactly the same instrumentation? Interesting.

"Exactly" the same instruments? No; but within the normal parameters of instrumentation of what defines a symphony orchestra; Yes (violins, violas, cellos, double bass, trumpets, trombones, tubas, timpani, xylophone, side-drum, etc...). And can a symphony orchestra contain an electric guitar or a drum-set, of course if the score calls for such peripheral instrumentation. But an ensemble that "primarily" consists of electric guitars, electric bass, electric keyboards, drum-set, with a violin player on the side would be a Rock Band, not a symphony orchestra.

• Like 1

"Exactly" the same instruments? No; but within the normal parameters of instrumentation of what defines a symphony orchestra; Yes (violins, violas, cellos, double bass, trumpets, trombones, tubas, timpani, xylophone, side-drum, etc...). And can a symphony orchestra contain an electric guitar or a drum-set, of course if the score calls for such peripheral instrumentation. But an ensemble that "primarily" consists of electric guitars, electric bass, electric keyboards, drum-set, with a violin player on the side would be a Rock Band, not a symphony orchestra.

Is there any drum corps calling for a primary instrumentation of what you said is a rock band? No. They just want to explore the options, like they have been doing since the beginning of drum corps.

I swear, the weakest argumentative tool seems to be hyperbole.

• Like 1

May i step in a suggest something?

Drum corps has a certain spirit about it rich with tradition. While there has been a lot of changes made since DCI's conception, drum corps still has, at least for a few more years, its root characteristics. Should more drastic things happen like this idea? I say no! If there is such a push to "enhance" drum corps in such a way, then leave my old school drum corps alone, and start another circuit where drum corps face can be drastically altered, but the way DCI is, leave it alone! When someone said that there needs to be drastic changes to the NFL, they started the AFL, when someone said boxing and wrestling wasnt working anymore, they started UFC, when basketball wasnt enough, they started Slamball and StreetBall, when classical musicians began to be bored with old material, they joined POPS orchestras. If you want DCI to change so much, start your own dang division, where electric violins, and trumpet playing robots are quite acceptable, but leave my drum corps alone! and if DCI dies out for being outdated, so be it, your electric corps may rule supreme, but let drum corps die with its integrity still intact. But do realize, that people still love the NFL, betting is still going on in Vegas for boxing, and the NBA, minus the strike, is still alive, and ill go to any Bach concert any day, I believe DCI will survive also...

• Like 1

I think there should be an eventual rock component that is required of each drum corps. Teal Sound has been doing an incredible job over the past few years with the use of advanced rock-technology in their shows. Carolina Crown has been fortunate enough to dabble in this strange, new art form, but it obviously turned out successful for them. Another top 5 performance by a very talented drum corps! This show was definitely the top of this crazy power surge the corps has undergone.

Anyways, I believe that the top 5 drum corps could all benefit from a performance with more microphones. The additional sounds that could be added to drum corps would send people into the new universe!!!! Imagine the blue devils show from this past year with a band. Totally more awesome. Now, imagine the Cadets show with a rock band. Totally more awesome as well! Think about that drum break with a heavy metal breakdown. Now, imagine the cavies with a rock band. Totally more awesome again! What if phantom decided to, "Strike up the band" as well!? Totally the best phantom show of all time. As the brass expert, I would just like to say that the brass lines with downs phenomenal with an additional bass and guitar push.

I think you get the point DCP. Drum corps with amplified rock bands = totally awesome.

-the brassEXPERT

• Like 1

May i step in a suggest something?

Drum corps has a certain spirit about it rich with tradition. While there has been a lot of changes made since DCI's conception, drum corps still has, at least for a few more years, its root characteristics. Should more drastic things happen like this idea? I say no! If there is such a push to "enhance" drum corps in such a way, then leave my old school drum corps alone, and start another circuit where drum corps face can be drastically altered, but the way DCI is, leave it alone! When someone said that there needs to be drastic changes to the NFL, they started the AFL, when someone said boxing and wrestling wasnt working anymore, they started UFC, when basketball wasnt enough, they started Slamball and StreetBall, when classical musicians began to be bored with old material, they joined POPS orchestras. If you want DCI to change so much, start your own dang division, where electric violins, and trumpet playing robots are quite acceptable, but leave my drum corps alone! and if DCI dies out for being outdated, so be it, your electric corps may rule supreme, but let drum corps die with its integrity still intact. But do realize, that people still love the NFL, betting is still going on in Vegas for boxing, and the NBA, minus the strike, is still alive, and ill go to any Bach concert any day, I believe DCI will survive also...

You do know that the NFL and AFL eventually merged together, right? SNARK OFF

• Like 1

You do know that the NFL and AFL eventually merged together, right? SNARK OFF

And if DCI merged with whatever they want to call themselves, thats cool with me, but there needs to remain a place from drum corps as we know it

• Like 1

And if DCI merged with whatever they want to call themselves, thats cool with me, but there needs to remain a place from drum corps as we know it

I think whatever you think drum corps is will eventually have the I at the end of DCI turn into an A.

• Like 1

Is there any drum corps calling for a primary instrumentation of what you said is a rock band? No. They just want to explore the options, like they have been doing since the beginning of drum corps.

I swear, the weakest argumentative tool seems to be hyperbole.

> Is there any drum corps calling for a primary instrumentation of what you said is a rock band?

Nope, but... there are plenty of people in drum corps who are calling for it to become the primary instrumentation of a "Marching" band (brass/woodwinds).

> I swear, the weakest argumentative tool seems to be hyperbole.

If drum corps instrumentation "does" move into becoming marching band instrumentation (as opposed to drum corps instrumentation), then my argument would not be hyperbole but reality (it would just be in the framework of a marching band not a rock band).

> They just want to explore the options, like they have been doing since the beginning of drum corps.

I am with you on this aspect; "small" explorations within the rock genre, the bluegrass genre, by including some of those insturments as color items is, IMO, fine.

> Is there any drum corps calling for a primary instrumentation of what you said is a rock band?

Nope, but... there are plenty of people in drum corps who are calling for it to become the primary instrumentation of a "Marching" band (brass/woodwinds).

> I swear, the weakest argumentative tool seems to be hyperbole.

If drum corps instrumentation "does" move into becoming marching band instrumentation (as opposed to drum corps instrumentation), then my argument would not be hyperbole but reality (it would just be in the framework of a marching band not a rock band).

> They just want to explore the options, like they have been doing since the beginning of drum corps.

I am with you on this aspect; "small" explorations within the rock genre, the bluegrass genre, by including some of those insturments as color items is, IMO, fine.

Do you have any indication that drum corps is moving beyond limited rock genre instrumentation? I'm guessing not.

Who cares what Joe DCP wants for the instrumentation? It's the corps who decides, and there's nothing to suggest the hyperbole suggested here.