Seating at shows

I know every seat counts when selling tickets for corps shows But I have a bit of a problem with the shows at local stadiums. These seats are always benches which in and of itself is ok with me. What bothers me is that they are not numbered with big people in mind. My wife and I go to a few local shows a year in the New England/Boston area and we are not big people but we do find ourselves being squeezed in our seats by those who are big. At the Beanpot Invitational in Lynn, Ma. I had the end seat on the bench but by the time everyone took their seats half of my keister had no seating under it. I'm just wondering if anyone else finds this to be a problem as well. One idea is to sell on less ticket per row to leave room for expansion but that means less revenue for the hosting corps. I have no problem with seats at finals or a big regional shows like Atlanta in the domes as they have the nice individual seats and plenty of leg room at least for me and the wife.

I just don't like sitting at a show for four hours being squeezed like a lemon in a juicer. Any thoughts or idea's?

• Like 1

Altho I live in the Midwest, and probably haven't attended any of the shows you are talking about, I AM one of those people who take up a seat and a half. I'm just not as 'skinny' as I was in high school and most of these stadium seating measurements are for short, thin high schoolers. I'm not! Sorry!

It is a pain because I am also TALL. No leg room at most of the smaller stadiums either! My knees are in the armpits of the people in the row infront/below me. YUCK!

When I have someone coming with me I buy an extra seat. More money, yes. But also enough room for 2 growup people. Otherwise I get an isle seat and I dont have a problem with anyone squishing me into sitting with one butt cheek in mid-air. At 6-2 and 300, I get my seat plus half of yours! SORRY!!!!

On a good note, there are some shows where the seats are re-numbered and enlarged for the larger bodied adults that they know will be sitting. BRAVO to the shows that take the time to do that!

Until all shows are friendly to larger sized adult a**es....about all we can do is buy an extra seat and maybe the extra space will give everyone in the row a change to sit comfortably!

This is a problem that isn't unique to wider bodies. The seatback chairs that some fans bring don't sync with the size of the seat. Worst of all is the tendency of some fans to sneak one in; that is, they invite that cousin, uncle or girlfriend to join our row because - they say - there's no harm in squeezing a little. This has been a particular issue in my experience at finals in Madison at Camp Randall. Their squeeze quickly became ours. Throw in a seatback chair or two and a few wide bodies and it started to feel as if we were fusing fans. Yech.

HH

Edited by glory

Throw in a seatback chair or two and a few wide bodies and it started to feel as if we were fusing fans. Yech.

5347f81d-fa4a-40eb-9c82-fa24d6a8cde9.jpg

This is a problem that isn't unique to wider bodies. The seatback chairs that some fans bring don't sync with the size of the seat. Worst of all is the tendency of some fans to sneak one in; that is, they invite that cousin, uncle or girlfriend to join our row because - they say - there's no harm in squeezing a little. This has been a particular issue in my experience at finals in Madison at Camp Randall. Their squeeze quickly became ours. Throw in a seatback chair or two and a few wide bodies and it started to feel as if we were fusing fans. Yech.

HH

I almost committed stadiumseaticied at Madison, too true about the seat sneaks too. I’m a skinny guy use to buy 3 tickets for 2 people and even that doesn’t help, they just pushed me over so I stopped that after 2009. I kicked a seat sneak out of my finals’ third seat twice, we really needed it, and both times I got heavy shade. Guess I’m just not cool anymore – the thing that gets me is the shared sweat, I just hate being squished and feeling a strangers' wet sweat on my legs or arms. I’m considering rain ponchos full time

• Like 1

buy a seat cushion that is a normal width, not the oversized kind. get to the show early and stake your claim to your fully alloted seat amount. then when the fatties come and try to squeeze you out you can fight back with the defined seat space which matches your seat size. My brother and I did this at allentown the last two years and it kept us from getting squeezed like we had the previous years before I brought the seat pads. Also makes those bench seats a little more comfortable.

But make sure you aren't the guy bringing the gigantic seat with the back and armrests which is wider than the normal alloted seat space in a bench type stadium seating.

I know every seat counts when selling tickets for corps shows But I have a bit of a problem with the shows at local stadiums. These seats are always benches which in and of itself is ok with me. What bothers me is that they are not numbered with big people in mind. My wife and I go to a few local shows a year in the New England/Boston area and we are not big people but we do find ourselves being squeezed in our seats by those who are big. At the Beanpot Invitational in Lynn, Ma. I had the end seat on the bench but by the time everyone took their seats half of my keister had no seating under it. I'm just wondering if anyone else finds this to be a problem as well. One idea is to sell on less ticket per row to leave room for expansion but that means less revenue for the hosting corps. I have no problem with seats at finals or a big regional shows like Atlanta in the domes as they have the nice individual seats and plenty of leg room at least for me and the wife.

I just don't like sitting at a show for four hours being squeezed like a lemon in a juicer. Any thoughts or idea's?

I was at finals in 2008 in Bloomington and I actually bought one extra seat next to me and people still seemed to squeeze into me....Just sit with your arms crossed :tongue:

This same problem has come up within my "drum corps circle", a group of friends who have marched together and attended shows together since the mid '90's. Coincidentally, we are ALSO from the greater Boston area...the seating is so bad at Lynn (Beanpot) that some of us will not be attending next year for just that reason. We really wish they had never left Beverly. I literally DID sit with half of my backside in the aisle this year, between corps I had to stand sideways so people could navigate the aisle. In Lawrence, (Mission Drums and East Coast Classic), the seating arrangement seems to have been designed with more mature physiques in mind (and this is a high school stadium, no less!). We don't mind that stadium at all.

I was at finals in 2008 in Bloomington and I actually bought one extra seat next to me and people still seemed to squeeze into me....Just sit with your arms crossed :tongue:

Bloomington was an outstanding venue for the Championships in every way EXCEPT for the seating, which was horrendous...we DID have an extra "empty" seat among us, and we STILL didn't have enough room. Madison is the same way (also excellent in most ways, except seating AND parking)...we were talking at Finals this year with one of our seat "neighbors" who made the statement that in Madison they ALWAYS coughed up the money for the extra seat just for the sake of comfort.