Question about "Renegades"

dbg

I'm sure (at least maybe) someone has asked this before, but with regard to the Renegades....what is the significance with the number 7 to the corps? Just something I have always wondered

Edited by dbg

I believe that is the number of people who were at the first meeting when they birthed the corps. 7 folks having pizza deciding 'Let's do this'

I'm sure someone will pipe in with the more accurate long version, though.

Flash

Edited by anokaflash

I believe that is the number of people who were at the first meeting when they birthed the corps. 7 folks having pizza deciding 'Let's do this'

I'm sure someone will pipe in with the more accurate long version, though.

Flash

I don't think it was pizza,............I'm pretty sure it was a ham sandwich,............

• Like 1

Have no idea about food, but it does refer to the original 7... bunch of guys with great big ones hanging between..... well let's just say it took a lot of guts to make that one work... not often can an organization make that kind of an impact in such a short time...

If I'm not mistaken, my life long friend and fellow Fulton Gaucho from the very early 60's (and Brigadiers) was one of the 7... That would be snare drummer Mike Rogala...

yea 7 people and a ham sandwich started the Renegades :devil:

Have no idea about food, but it does refer to the original 7... bunch of guys with great big ones hanging between..... well let's just say it took a lot of guts to make that one work... not often can an organization make that kind of an impact in such a short time...

If I'm not mistaken, my life long friend and fellow Fulton Gaucho from the very early 60's (and Brigadiers) was one of the 7... That would be snare drummer Mike Rogala...

Here are a couple of names that I'm pretty sure were at that first "meeting". Greg Gilman, Lee Rudnicki, Chris Nalls and Mike Nash. So if Mike Rogala is one of the seven then all we need is the names of the other two (2). I met Mike Nash for the first time last September at the DoubleTree. Had lunch with Chris Nalls back in November of 2009. Was invited to Greg's house for dinner the Friday night before the CNY parade in 2010. Still haven't met Lee Rudenicki but do have an autographed copy of his book "My Immortal-The Vampires of Berlin". Just started reading it. A lot of Drum Corps references in it. President "Duarte", ook,.....which is a reference to "notabando", a character from RAMD. Waiting to get to the reference to good ole "CB" herself. :rolleyes: And yes the food reference is a ham sandwich.

Yes, 7 people with a dream (no pun intended). I think there were 5 drummers and two horn players - Munson Chan and Mike Nash, both midrange guys. If you read Lee's book, he says that it's my fault. I'll happily take the blame for this one. Looking forward to seeing my Cali buds in Rochacha.

Yes, 7 people with a dream (no pun intended). I think there were 5 drummers and two horn players - Munson Chan and Mike Nash, both midrange guys. If you read Lee's book, he says that it's my fault. I'll happily take the blame for this one. Looking forward to seeing my Cali buds in Rochacha.

I always thought it was because "7" was some sort of Evil number. Now I know better.

True dat, Tom.

They went from merely an idea to the corps that everyone was talking about in a few short years. Absolutely amazing. :thumbup:

All the years I've been at DCAs... I don't think there has ever been a bigger "buzz" about Prelims than in 2002, with the Renegades bringing their full corps East for the first time, and the Yokohama Inspires coming over from Japan.

Edited by Fran Haring

All the years I've been at DCAs... I don't think there has ever been a bigger "buzz" about Prelims than in 2002, with the Renegades bring their full corps East for the first time, and the Yokohama Inspires coming over from Japan.

that was an exciting weekend, IIRC Renegades got a finals spot, and Yokahama not only got a finals spot, but they advanced from 8th in prelims to 5th in finals,..............I loved their show, especiually "Pavane for a Dead Princess" (never done by a corps before) ...........their take on "Sambadrea Swing" was way cool too,....