Question about "Renegades"

dbg

True dat, Tom.

They went from merely an idea to the corps that everyone was talking about in a few short years. Absolutely amazing. :thumbup:

All the years I've been at DCAs... I don't think there has ever been a bigger "buzz" about Prelims than in 2002, with the Renegades bring their full corps East for the first time, and the Yokohama Inspires coming over from Japan.

I have to agree, Fran. The Renegades went on pretty early in the prelims show and the stands were virtually full. I know they were thrilled just to be there, but the standing ovation they got sent them over the edge. It was a very memorable day. (They actually did a color pre during their warmup! Anyone else remember that?)

The evil part was Lee's idea.

Actually, "7" is from Lee Rudnicki, who has been using that number for many years before Renegades ever existed.

I came in after the Renegades started, so I heard the "started by 7 people and a ham sandwich" lore, but the reason the Renegades started is that there was a brand new Senior Corps (from San Ramon, CA) in 1998 called "Shockwave" (I know because I was the Brass Instructor and webmaster!). One day, most of the corps got ###### off at the Director, and bailed. They still wanted to do drum corps, so they started the Renegades! Now, the reason I tell that story, is we were having 20-30 people show up for horn rehearsals, and we had a bunch of drummers. The week everyone bailed, I was in London and didn't know about it. I came back to teach, and there were only 2 horn players and one drummer left ... so naturally I said "bye-bye" as well, and ended up as the Baritone Section leader in the Renegades the next year! As far as starting with 7 people ... I just looked at the original Renegades bylaws, and there were only 4 people who actually started the corporation.

So ... I ramble! "7" is a "Lee Rudnicki thing".

Return to your normal browsing.

Wow Jeff I did not know that, I went to one of the first Renegades rehearsals with a couple of snare drum friends on our way to a Santana concert. There were only 4 other drummers there besides my friends and I. I did not see all the people from shockwave there but we were only there for a couple of hours so they could have been in other romms around the school.

Edited by bighud1

I also had not every heard of a Sr. corps called shockwave in the area. There was a JR. Corps called shockwave where all the members ended up quitting because of the director. Are you sure it was a senior corps Jeff because that seems a little weird that they would have the same name and the same situation with the director.

Yes, 7 people with a dream (no pun intended). I think there were 5 drummers and two horn players - Munson Chan and Mike Nash, both midrange guys. If you read Lee's book, he says that it's my fault. I'll happily take the blame for this one. Looking forward to seeing my Cali buds in Rochacha.

One of those drummers was Al Chan. Al is a legend in No.Cal drum corps. If I recall my history correctly, he was in a drum corps called Cathey in the early 60's. He was a drum judge in the old Pacific Coast Judging Association during the 70's, also played snare in "Vintage Sound" Senior Corps 84-86. Him and Munson (who also played Mello in Vintage Sound 84-86) were manning a Renegade sign-up booth at Buchser High School in Santa Clara, at what use to be called "Evaluation Show Day" back in 1997-98? probably June 97. They were wearing shirts that have that Indian emblem/logo used on their website...

Edited by muzzicman1

I went to a couple of Shockware rehearsals and then left with the others for Renegades... I sat on the board from the start until 2004, even thou I had started up Dream (Lee won't let me leave the board) The last Season I marched with Gades was in 2000, which was our 1st year doing a field show. I was traveling up to NorCal from SoCal, which was one one the reason Dream got started and Lee kept bugging me to start one...:tongue:

Wow !!! all this talk about "7" and the Renegades right before DCA Championships. Iam loving it. Most of what the other posters have written is true. The early starters of the "Bay Area" Renegades did include Al Chan ( Cathay/Pinole Princemen), Brandon Wilson (BDB Drum Major/Drummer), Mike Rogala (Fulton Gauchos/Syracuse Brigadiers) and Mike Nash (Chevaliers /SSF Conquistador).

The "San Francisco" Renegades moved onto the DCA stage when Lee Rudnicki (Crossmen, Garfield, SCV) enlisted the help of Chris Nalls (Knight Raiders, BD), Dave Watrous (Spirit of Sunnyvale, BD), Kent Cater (SCV) and many others.

Back to the original post, the true meaning of "7" is something you have to experience as a member or a fan.

Come check out the Renegades this weekend in Rochester ... then maybe "7" will have a special meaning for you.

Wow !!! all this talk about "7" and the Renegades right before DCA Championships. Iam loving it. Most of what the other posters have written is true. The early starters of the "Bay Area" Renegades did include Al Chan ( Cathay/Pinole Princemen), Brandon Wilson (BDB Drum Major/Drummer), Mike Rogala (Fulton Gauchos/Syracuse Brigadiers) and Mike Nash (Chevaliers /SSF Conquistador).

The "San Francisco" Renegades moved onto the DCA stage when Lee Rudnicki (Crossmen, Garfield, SCV) enlisted the help of Chris Nalls (Knight Raiders, BD), Dave Watrous (Spirit of Sunnyvale, BD), Kent Cater (SCV) and many others.

Back to the original post, the true meaning of "7" is something you have to experience as a member or a fan.

Come check out the Renegades this weekend in Rochester ... then maybe "7" will have a special meaning for you.

Munson....you gotta update that Avatar brother...you ain't no rookie...lol