Favorite Moments of the 2011 DCA Finals Weekend

So I did this last year and figured i'd do it again.

What was your favorite moment of the 2011 DCA Championships weekend?

It could be a funny moment that happened off the field. Or it could be your favorite on field moment (preferred). Or even a top 5/ top whatever list of moments.

Long list.

Seeing where you marched I have to say listening to Hurc's drum book. I thought it was the nicest one on the field on Saturday (not necessarily played, but written). Addendum: I didn't mean to imply you guys didn't play well, thought you were great, but if the other lines who scored better had your book they'd probably have to invent a new number to award.

Playing Friday night. Best performance I've personally done, and the ensemble too.

Drumming with Kevin, Wayne and Pierre behind the Radisson Thursday night, even though I was too filled up on beer to do my best. Good thing my hotel was only across the street. Hey, I learned something.

Drumming with the guys from Cavaliers Alumni (especially Paul Milano), the guys from Cabs Alumni and Javier and Joe, again behind the Radisson, but in daylight this time. Learned something again.

Cabs Alumni after prelims. Didn't hear a note from the horns (felt the contras, well, not the players, but the vibrations from the notes) because I was almost In the drum line; then the drum runthrough after. Huge crowd.

Encore by Star at the loading dock.

Seeing old friends and acquaintances, to many to list, and I'll probably miss someone.

Kilties Auld Lang Syne.

Corps Vets colour guard. I'm a drummer and I noticed what you folks were doing. Nice writing, good equipment work.

MBI practice Saturday afternoon. Cool (I was in the only shade in their part of the Park.

Finding the park where MBI was practicing. Who ever writes the directions for practice facilities missed a few things. Ok, a lot of things.

Last two blocks of prelims (didn't see first one) every minute of it. Thanks.

Partying with my Optimist friends to close out my weekend.

I've had a great time in Rochester every year, but this one was the best. I hope Annapolis works out OK.

Regards,

John

CADRE

Edited by sarnia sam

:ph34r:

Hey John -

Sorry I missed you on Saturday..I was at the booth, where a couple of your fellow Canadians came and got the address and corrections to the location..the GPS has a tendancy to get you to the wrong side of the river/park..

I was told that their last run on Saturday was unreal, considering the "quality" of the field..

Glad you enjoyed the show!

Pat

:ph34r:

Hey John -

Sorry I missed you on Saturday..I was at the booth, where a couple of your fellow Canadians came and got the address and corrections to the location..the GPS has a tendancy to get you to the wrong side of the river/park..

I was told that their last run on Saturday was unreal, considering the "quality" of the field..

Glad you enjoyed the show!

Pat

I think I know which Canadians you refer to, saw them at the field. I noticed the lack of yard lines (just like the old days) and wondered how that would affect rehearsal and performance. Obviuosly not a heck of a lot.

John

Edited by sarnia sam

Marching with the first Kilties corps to make finals in a dozen years.

Being moved to tears by Star's loading dock performance.

Sharing the stage with a drum corps legend on minicorps night.

Ok, funny moment...

Standing in front of some of the Prime Time Brass guys after the Canadian National Anthem was sung at Mini Corps Championships...

"Drop the Puck!! Drop the Puck!!!"

Classic...Thanks Mark and guys, see you soon!

• Like 2

Playing at the Alumni Spectacular was pretty amazing.

Really enjoyed Bridgemen's New York traffic and Scout House's wooden soldiers. Very entertaining.

Lastly, the Bugles Across America performance at Alumni Spectacular was very well done and quite emotional, especially the echo Taps. This is a tradition that should continue year after year.

Also my favorite quote of the weekend, MBI starts their show with the blowing of the Viking horn. One of my fellow corps members, "That's the worst soprano I've ever heard."

Oh God...where to begin....

Empire's cymbal line. I can not say enough about those ladies..not just the visual stuff, they played some quality stuff too!

Alliance's drumline.

Hucs guard

Bucs opener...easily my favorite part of the show.

Frank Ponzo ( maybe I need to do a youtube video where the answer to every question is Frank Ponzo). again being able to video him playing the Bull Call leading Cabs Alumni on the field ( on facebook) and seeing and hearing him at finals Sundaynight was just incredible.

Being able to tip mycup to Jami Mills as her corps left the field. A nice little tradition my adopted little sister and I have

Chris Nalls. opener, closer, didnt matter :tongue:

Govies.

John Mayer's annual intro of the show

Fusion's battery

Carolina Gold.

the improvement in Shenandoah Sound

Bush's heart

Sun's return

hanging with friends at the HQ bar.

Dino being closed at 10 PM on Sunday...oh wait you said fave part

Star United. I see becky on the podium and I'm reduced to a drooling 16 year old all over again. The rest of them weren't shabby either :tongue:

The cats reaction when we got home.

• Like 2

After all the scores were announced, and the corps were ordered to leave the field, I turned around to find the Govies and they were gone. I guess when the word came to leave they ALL ran to the 50 to congradulate MBI, and from what I could tell, it looked like a giant "moush pit" except everyone was wearing the same thing.

The other thing was when the Govies played the wedding march, because 2 people in MBI got engaged right there on the field in the rain, big ring and all.

I never wanted to leave.

• Like 4

After all the scores were announced, and the corps were ordered to leave the field, I turned around to find the Govies and they were gone. I guess when the word came to leave they ALL ran to the 50 to congradulate MBI, and from what I could tell, it looked like a giant "moush pit" except everyone was wearing the same thing.

The other thing was when the Govies played the wedding march, because 2 people in MBI got engaged right there on the field in the rain, big ring and all.

I never wanted to leave.

Too Cool!!!

Congratulations John (and all my other Govie friends)!!!!!!! Minnesota truly rules!