Any thoughts on having an Alumni Association?

NYSkyliner

Just to start this aspect of the activity, what would be your thoughts????

1) Should one be established?

2) Should there be regional associations?

Any other thoughts?

The G.A.S. has been active for many years now. I've attended several of their reunions, both in the US and in Canada. But beyond the actual reunion, I'm not sure I understand their purpose. So my question to you is, "What would be the purpose of a proposed alumni association?"

As for regional associations, once a purpose is developed, it would certainly make sense for alumni corps to start their own associations in the areas they serve. But beyond supporting the parent organization, there does not seem to be any other impetus to start/create such an organization (certainly not a performing alumni corps) in the DCI ranks, except for special, celebratory purposes.

I would appreciate seeing more discussion on this.

There WAS a meeting of the minds, before the turn of the millenium.

An association was formed, IIRC it was called Drum Corps Old. Sully from MSJ was named chief honcho.

However, I read this on RAMD, so it may have been a contrivance.

Just to start this aspect of the activity, what would be your thoughts????

1) Should one be established?

2) Should there be regional associations?

Any other thoughts?

Michael,

Never mind an alumni association, we should start an alumni union. Think of the demands we could make....

1. No more wearing of Spandex on the field.

2. No more wagon trains of pit equipment onto and off the field.

3. No cadence higher than 132, and even then only for short periods.

4. Every corps must wear headgear to reduce the glare for the audience.

5. Every show sponsor must provide a recharging station for Amigos and Hoverounds.

6. Any judges involved must be certified by both DCA and AARP.

The list could go on... and on... and on...

• Like 1

Michael,

Never mind an alumni association, we should start an alumni union. Think of the demands we could make....

5. Every show sponsor must provide a recharging station for Amigos and Hoverounds.

At one time I suggested that DCA foster, or parent a loosely knit group,...........maintain a membership list on their website for purposes of one stop marketing of corps to promoters of shows, parades and other performance opportunities, and charge a small membership fee that would go toward further enhancing the DCA I&E event,........ sort of a sponsorship,............ with a goal of making the event even better, promote attendance at shows and DCA finals weekend, allow for some involvement in the alumni show planning and participation, etc.

Edited by Gary Matczak

At one time I suggested that DCA foster, or parent a loosely knit group,...........maintain a membership list on their website for purposes of one stop marketing of corps to promoters of shows, parades and other performance opportunities, and charge a small membership fee that would go toward further enhancing the DCA I&E event,........ sort of a sponsorship,............ with a goal of making the event even better, promote attendance at shows and DCA finals weekend, allow for some involvement in the alumni show planning and participation, etc.

All great ideas. I remember a few years ago Frank Neill, Director of the Reilly Raiders, called together representatives from several Alumni Corps on the east coast. I remember being the representative for 3 Pennsylvania Corps on a couple of occasions. I represented Steel City, Thunderbirds and Westshore. The purpose of those meetings was 1) basically to ensure that those Corps didn't have conflicting schedules for their indoor show during the indoor exhibition season. 2) if an Alumni Corps was overloaded on a particular day with more performances then they could handle they could past the performance along to an Alumni Corps that didn't any performances that day. 3) a kind of cooperative that could/would possibly share equipment. The last meeting that I was aware of took place maybe 6 months ago but I'm not sure of all of the Alumni Corps that were represented there. I'm sure Bridgemen, Reilly and Archie were there and probably a list of he "usual suspects" from the east were represented. But I certainly like you idea of regarding the possibility of somehow dovetailing with DCA. As far as making I&E better???? Personally I think they are doing a pretty good job the way it stands but such an Alumni Organization could possibly tweak it with some new twists. What bothers me about your suggestion is that it be parented by DCA. I think autonomy should be the goal of such organizations. I think that any funds that would/could be raised by the Alumni Organizations (AO) via shows, parades and other performance opportunities, a certain % of the earnings (say 5%) could be place in a fund that could be given to DCA the rest to the Alumni Corps that performed the gig.

But I'd like to see some of those Mini Corps be referred to as Alumni corps. Star United is a case in point. They ARE pretty much representing Star of Indiana, even though Star does have a larger Alumni Corps.

And I guess I'm thinking on a grander scale as well. While the mid-Atlantic Corps have had a few meetings as an organization, I know there are quite a few Alumni Corps in the Boston area as well. The Plymouth Thanksgiving parade turns out quite a few Alumni Corps from there as well. BAC, Holy Name Defenders to name a couple. There is the way I'm thinking of having this Alumni thing to be regionalized. I'm pretty sure the Mid-West have some Corps that have or could form Alumni corps as well. Those that have so far are Star and Madison. I was under the impression that the Cavaliers were thinking about it as well. Each one of these regionaizational organizations under the umbrella of the parent AO.

I think "corpsreps" could be a starting point to form a list of all of the Alumni corps that are presently in existence

These are just some of my thoughts. All constructive contributions will be entertained.

Michael,

GREAT idea Andy. Personally I think that a Drum Corps Union could fit very well under the umbrella of the AO. Therefore I'm naming you the Union President. I suggest that you name a Shop Steward for each of the Alumni corps to keep the "membership in line" and happy. Just don't take any advice from Danny De Vito. :rolleyes:

The G.A.S. has been active for many years now. I've attended several of their reunions, both in the US and in Canada. But beyond the actual reunion, I'm not sure I understand their purpose. So my question to you is, "What would be the purpose of a proposed alumni association?"

The purpose of the GAS Reunion is pretty much as a fraternal organization. It started the Cabs and Norman Prince suggesting that they have a get together. They invited Archie and Skyliners to join in back in 1986? I believe. Since then it has mushroomed to what it is now. I think that as ideas are suggested via this thread you'll get a better idea of what could be the outcome.

As for regional associations, once a purpose is developed, it would certainly make sense for alumni corps to start their own associations in the areas they serve.

Exactly.

But beyond supporting the parent organization, there does not seem to be any other impetus to start/create such an organization (certainly not a performing alumni corps) in the DCI ranks, except for special, celebratory purposes.

Well, Star Alumni still get together as far as I know. We have a couple Star Alumni marching with us in the Bridgemen. And I believe the Mini Corps "Sine Wave" is pretty much a bunch of guys from Chicago Vanguard.

I would appreciate seeing more discussion on this.

Me too. Good observations. :thumbup: Do you possibly have some input Steve?

There WAS a meeting of the minds, before the turn of the millenium.

An association was formed, IIRC it was called Drum Corps Old. Sully from MSJ was named chief honcho.

However, I read this on RAMD, so it may have been a contrivance.

Ken, I'll try to put some thoughts together for you tonight about we talked about at DCA Finals.and maybe give you a call. Believe me I haven't forgotten and I think it's a GREAT idea and will give you all the help I possibly can. :thumbup: