Any thoughts on having an Alumni Association?

NYSkyliner

I honestly think it needs to be more thought out for better exposure for the corps who would make the trip just for this chance to perform. I also think that it shouldn't be placed in a time zone that could possible effect the attendance during other portions of the show weekend, i.e. the beginning of Finals. Sorry, but that is how I feel.

*edit ~ or is this a thread where we are all supposed to nod along in agreement?*

Edited by LegalEagle50
  • Like 1

Andy, your proposal has some upsides, for sure.

But the downside that comes to mind for me... as someone on the DCA show staff for Finals.... is that it might keep people either 1) from attending Finals, or 2) from arriving there later, if they already have tickets... since the "time window" between the end of the Alumni show and the start of Finals is pretty short.

The corps on early at Finals.... in particular the Class A corps... I'm sure would like to see an audience in front of them.

Regardless of what any of us might think... and this is not a knock at all on the mini-corps or alumni corps, who are wonderful and definitely worth seeing... but the "main events" of DCA weekend, for all intents and purposes, are the Prelims and Finals.

Fran, I agree with your thought about Open and Class A Finals being "the main event" and I'm not suggesting we do anything at all to dilute them. And this "thing" that I've been thinking about wouldn't interfere with them at all.

What I'd contemplate is that this "thing" begins a half-hour or an hour after the alumni show and continues to an hour before the Finals. I don't remember the times from Rochester, but that would probably be about a three-hour span - time enough for nine twenty-minute performances.

Maybe there would only be a half-dozen groups who'd want to perform. We'd cut time from the beginning and the end. And if nobody wants to perform, that's okay. And if nobody wants to watch, that's okay too. All I suggested at the very beginning is that we have a bunch of newer/smaller corps that we never see. This is their opportunity (and ours).

And one last point, Fran. I have to be brutally frank here. The hotel lobbies and bars were still full well after the beginning of Finals this year in Rochester. Rude to the Class A corps and the lower-placing Open Class corps, but a fact. I really don't think that a twenty-minute performance by the Skowhegan Maine Hosophone Ensemble is going to change that.

And one last point, Fran. I have to be brutally frank here. The hotel lobbies and bars were still full well after the beginning of Finals this year in Rochester. Rude to the Class A corps and the lower-placing Open Class corps, but a fact. I really don't think that a twenty-minute performance by the Skowhegan Maine Hosophone Ensemble is going to change that.

Good point, Andy.

I'm not sure those folks are being rude to the competitive corps, but that some of them are just not interested in the competitive corps... that's fine, it's their decision to make.

To some degree, there is a "disconnect" between some of the alumni audience and the competition-corps audience, and not just at DCA weekend.

One small example, and I know it's anecdotal: A couple of years ago, at one of the alumni show after-parties I mentioned something about the Reading Buccaneers. (This while the Bucs were in the middle of their recent undefeated streak.) The guy I was talking to said to me, "The Buccaneers... wow, they're still around???" Seriously.

What I'd contemplate is that this "thing" begins a half-hour or an hour after the alumni show and continues to an hour before the Finals. I don't remember the times from Rochester, but that would probably be about a three-hour span - time enough for nine twenty-minute performances.

And perfect for the "drink your dinner" crowd. :lol:

• Like 1

And perfect for the "drink your dinner" crowd. :lol:

:spitting:

I think some here may be over estamating the draw alumni corps bring. YES, it works great and people like it BUT if it interferes , wheres someone gonna go. ITS like DCI and OC no matter how many claim to be supportive the stands are still empty for OC.

Dont get me wrong when an alumni corps comes on at a show its , fun, fun fun...now would I go to see if it werent an actual DCA contest...probably not....JMO

IF alumni corps start to work against the basic premise of DCA ( which is what many directors were afraid of years agao when Alumni corps were started ) Then DCA and it's corps could step up and say WE DONT WANT ALUMNI CORPS AROUND .

If alumni corps become the main event during a DCA weekend ( which Im not saying anyone is saying it would be ) then I think its drifted from its main intent.

If its more oppurtunity to perform, which I believe most alumni corps dont want more on their plate, but if it is create your own Alumni spectacular weekend.

Also the idea in performing is to perform in front of people, otherwise just stand in your own parking lot and play away. I think a small window of time filled up with yet another thing doesnt serve alot of purpose. People do need breaks..lol......JMO

Edited by GUARDLING

Why not start the weekend with a Thursday night jam session?

ANY corps or individual would be welcome to come and play. A format could be set up with the smaller or lesser known corps following the Sky mini or Brigs alumni etc.

This would allow for groups or individuals performing in the I&E to do a run through to a live audience. I would suggest a 3pm start as there may be many performers for one venue.

This would help DCA with marketing in cities as it would assure MORE hotel room rentals and MORE restaurant business. :thumbup:

Any thoughts?

Dan

Okay, you're all absolutely correct; it'll never work. So I won't even discuss it any further.

I'll just send out a few emails to some folks. For example, "Dear Wilbur and Orville, why don't you just forget about this whole 'flying thing'." It'll never work." Or, "Dear Jonas, this polio vaccine thing isn't sponsored by the right people. You'd better just drop it." Or, "Dear Christopher, forget about this trip to the so-called new world. The folks running the old world won't like it." "Besides, Reverend King, nobody will show up." :sarcasm:

Okay, you're all absolutely correct; it'll never work. So I won't even discuss it any further.

I'll just send out a few emails to some folks. For example, "Dear Wilbur and Orville, why don't you just forget about this whole 'flying thing'." It'll never work." Or, "Dear Jonas, this polio vaccine thing isn't sponsored by the right people. You'd better just drop it." Or, "Dear Christopher, forget about this trip to the so-called new world. The folks running the old world won't like it." "Besides, Reverend King, nobody will show up." :sarcasm:

discuss? or agree with...that can be 2 different things..you seem to want the later...which is fine

maybe contact groups wanting to do this and just go for it. If it works fine if not, oh well....maybe a suggesstion, in the parking lot as entertainment for the tail gaters before shows begin or the afternoon before OC finals

Edited by GUARDLING

Good point, Andy.

I'm not sure those folks are being rude to the competitive corps, but that some of them are just not interested in the competitive corps... that's fine, it's their decision to make.

To some degree, there is a "disconnect" between some of the alumni audience and the competition-corps audience, and not just at DCA weekend.

One small example, and I know it's anecdotal: A couple of years ago, at one of the alumni show after-parties I mentioned something about the Reading Buccaneers. (This while the Bucs were in the middle of their recent undefeated streak.) The guy I was talking to said to me, "The Buccaneers... wow, they're still around???" Seriously.

"Don't Get 'Round Much Anymore":

Struck up a conversation with a gentleman in an old Norwood Park Imperials Jacket at H-Berg. Olde tymmer was astonished to learn Norman Prince, Stratford's Yankees, and Skokie & Hamm's Indians had folded, the Jersey Joes and "Skeeters" were also inactive, and the Laidlaw Toreadors were now the Minnesota Brass.

He also remarked that Hawthorne looked exactly like they did in the early 1950's, but their drum major seemed a "Little Shorter" than he remembered Ralph Silverbrand..... (Seriously:))

Elphaba