Any thoughts on having an Alumni Association?

NYSkyliner

Honest question, if newer alumni corps came out performing shows from 20-25 years ago, would they be accepted with open arms? Or would they be shunned for not being "real" or "too modern"?

There is one very obvious answer, Star of Indiana alumni. Granted, they performed last year at DCI and NOT DCA...but they brought the house down-playing songs that were a part of their shows. BTW, Star United last year played some of the same stuff (Medea comes to mind immediately). To some extent, Bridgemen fit into this, although slightly further back than 25 years ago-probably pushing 30.

On a different tangent, but still related to the topic, I would like every effort for this endeavor to make sure that even the smallest or most little-known groups are included-and they MAY not have even made it onto the radar of some places like corpsreps-I'm thinking of groups like the Red Knights of Pittsfield, MA; the Standish Guards from Plymouth, MA and what of groups like the Melha's or the Sons of Italy drum corps?

On a different tangent, but still related to the topic, I would like every effort for this endeavor to make sure that even the smallest or most little-known groups are included-and they MAY not have even made it onto the radar of some places like corpsreps-I'm thinking of groups like the Red Knights of Pittsfield, MA; the Standish Guards from Plymouth, MA and what of groups like the Melha's or the Sons of Italy drum corps?

And to carry your idea one step further, would it not be possible to include those who wish to participate in some sort of venue at the DCA weekend - perhaps an Alumni Spectacular II.

Obviously, it can't be in the stadium, but let's say on Sunday afternoon, after the Alumni Spectacular but before the Finals, at some central location, these lesser-known alumni corps perform in a standstill. In Rochester, for example, it could have been the steps behind the Crown Plaza - facing the river. No tickets; no competitive atmosphere; no drill; no involvement by DCA or venue personnel; just a chance for some of these lesser-known corps to play before an audience of their peers - drum corps people.

Perhaps the exposure may prompt them to even greater efforts in terms of recuiting; or someone seeing them may just decide that it might be fun to join; or we may possibly even find a diamond in the rough - to be invited to other shows over the course of the next year. Who knows.... But to use the corps you mentioned above as an example, who here has seen the Standish Guard or the Red Knights? This would be the corps' opportunity to see and be seen.

And to carry your idea one step further, would it not be possible to include those who wish to participate in some sort of venue at the DCA weekend - perhaps an Alumni Spectacular II.

Obviously, it can't be in the stadium, but let's say on Sunday afternoon, after the Alumni Spectacular but before the Finals, at some central location, these lesser-known alumni corps perform in a standstill. In Rochester, for example, it could have been the steps behind the Crown Plaza - facing the river. No tickets; no competitive atmosphere; no drill; no involvement by DCA or venue personnel; just a chance for some of these lesser-known corps to play before an audience of their peers - drum corps people.

Perhaps the exposure may prompt them to even greater efforts in terms of recuiting; or someone seeing them may just decide that it might be fun to join; or we may possibly even find a diamond in the rough - to be invited to other shows over the course of the next year. Who knows.... But to use the corps you mentioned above as an example, who here has seen the Standish Guard or the Red Knights? This would be the corps' opportunity to see and be seen.

That is a very interesting idea! No rules, no minimum 35, just literally a drumcorps free for all. This would be open to anyone who does not necessarily meet the DCA mold. There are drumlines and colorguards out there for example. Could even be done on I&E Friday!

Edited by Shenandoah Vibrato

OK, not trying to be Debbie Downer here but if I were the business manager of any corps, my first thought would be the exposure is iffy, because who knows if anyone is going to show. That window between the Alumni show and Finals isn’t exactly that big.

Financially there are no rewards for a show of this “nature”. I’m not sure without it being a sanctioned event DCA weekend that it would ever fly.

Sorry…..

OK, not trying to be Debbie Downer here but if I were the business manager of any corps, my first thought would be the exposure is iffy, because who knows if anyone is going to show. That window between the Alumni show and Finals isn’t exactly that big.

Financially there are no rewards for a show of this “nature”. I’m not sure without it being a sanctioned event DCA weekend that it would ever fly.

Sorry…..

understood,.............but anything along these lines would bring more drum corps people to town, filling more hotel rooms, restaurants, and paid seats at the stadium events,..........I&E fosters this thought now,.......discuss,..........

Agreed Gary. Here's another question that circles in that direction. How many I&E participants are competing in I&E soley, as in not attached with another corps performing that weekend in any capacity?

Sorry…..

Yes, Debbie, a business manager could say that the exposure is "iffy." So don't come!

Yes, Debbie, the window between the Alumni show and Finals is only three or four hours. So don't come!

Yes, Debbie, there's no financial reward for a show of this kind. So don't come!

But Mr. Business Manager, if you'd like your corps to be seen - even if the attendance might be "iffy" - then come ahead. And Mr. Business Manager, if you'd like your corps to be a part of the weekend - no matter how unofficial - then come ahead. And Mr. Business Manager, if you'd like your corps to potentially become something more than an occasional mention on DCP, then come ahead.

One thing I didn't bring up in my earlier post was the possible inclusion of other-than-alumni corps. What would be wrong with some of the mini-corps putting their show on again? What would be wrong with corps not making the Finals putting on the music portion of their show again? What would be wrong with some of the brass or percussion ensembles reprising their performance?

And yes, Mr. Business Manager, make sure your corps is never seen by the large majority of the rest of the DCA group.

But really what rest of DCA? Competitive corps won't be there. Attendance is miniscule for the alumni show by comparison to the prelims and finals as it is....I'm being realistic Andy.

Yes, Debbie, a business manager could say that the exposure is "iffy." So don't come!

Yes, Debbie, the window between the Alumni show and Finals is only three or four hours. So don't come!

Yes, Debbie, there's no financial reward for a show of this kind. So don't come!

But Mr. Business Manager, if you'd like your corps to be seen - even if the attendance might be "iffy" - then come ahead. And Mr. Business Manager, if you'd like your corps to be a part of the weekend - no matter how unofficial - then come ahead. And Mr. Business Manager, if you'd like your corps to potentially become something more than an occasional mention on DCP, then come ahead.

One thing I didn't bring up in my earlier post was the possible inclusion of other-than-alumni corps. What would be wrong with some of the mini-corps putting their show on again? What would be wrong with corps not making the Finals putting on the music portion of their show again? What would be wrong with some of the brass or percussion ensembles reprising their performance?

And yes, Mr. Business Manager, make sure your corps is never seen by the large majority of the rest of the DCA group.

Andy, your proposal has some upsides, for sure.

But the downside that comes to mind for me... as someone on the DCA show staff for Finals.... is that it might keep people either 1) from attending Finals, or 2) from arriving there later, if they already have tickets... since the "time window" between the end of the Alumni show and the start of Finals is pretty short.

The corps on early at Finals.... in particular the Class A corps... I'm sure would like to see an audience in front of them.

Regardless of what any of us might think... and this is not a knock at all on the mini-corps or alumni corps, who are wonderful and definitely worth seeing... but the "main events" of DCA weekend, for all intents and purposes, are the Prelims and Finals.

• Like 1

But really what rest of DCA? Competitive corps won't be there. Attendance is miniscule for the alumni show by comparison to the prelims and finals as it is....I'm being realistic Andy.

You're right, Liz. Competitive corps won't be there. And so? And you're right again, the attendance at the alumni show isn't what we'd like. And so?

How about the other side of the question? I saw between 450 and 500 people watch an alumni corps go through a run-through on Friday evening in Rochester (I counted). Now where are these people on Sunday? They're getting over hangovers; they're looking around for a corps to watch; they;'re standing in line at Dinosaur; or they're sitting around renewing old acquaintances.

Perhaps if we had one central location where these people could congregate and, by the way, listen to some aspect of drum corps, what would be wrong with that? Think about this...

2:00 - 2:20 Standish Guard, Plymouth, MA

2:20 - 2:40 Skyliners Mini-Corps

2:40 - 3:00 East Overshoe Percussion Ensemble

3:00 - 3:20 Shemp, Larry, Curly, and Moe Brass Quartet

And so forth...

You want to hear the Skyliners Mini-Corps again? Then come ahead. You don't want to bother? Then don't.

Liz, this isn't a "show" - as such. It's merely an opportunity for some folks to be heard (or heard again). And it provides a central location where folks can get together, something similar to the street venue at the I&E's in Rochester.

That's all.