Audition Help

That's true, they are. Also, wasn't one of Phantom's DMs from this past season a rookie? I think they were. Like, an 18 year old rookie or something.

Yeah all three drum majors for Phantom Regiment in 2011 were rookies. The head DM was 19 and the assistants were 21 and 20.

Thanks everyone for your opinions, I appreciate the input.

After PMing a couple people on DCP as well as speaking to some MMs from recent years, I have decided that I am going to try to learn a brass instrument (haven't decided which yet).

As to the comments about brass methods classes, I go to Florida State, and unfortunately they do not let us start those classes until Junior year.

I do, however, have many brass friends I will no doubt be consulting and begging for help!

I am going to try to start this week and my goal is going to be 1-2 hours a day, hopefully 2. (That may require me to stay up until 2 every night, but it's worth it!)

Now my question is where should I try to audition?

Quickly and humbly, I am on scholarship for my principal instrument at what is considered one of the best collegiate music programs in the country. I hope I can pick up a brass instrument fairly quickly, and I like to think that my musicality is pretty darn good, but I know brass is not saxophone.

With that in mind, and roughly 2 to 2 and half months until auditions, where should I go realistically?

Ever make any decisions?

IMO...I'd pick up baritone if possible. That's what I did in the Cadets. I wanted to play a brass instrument as I too was a music ed major, and I had brass methods coming up, so for the 72 season I switched to horn from drums. I ended up playing 3rd baritone and had a blast.

Of course, that comment was also said about my tone quality at times by Don Angelica, our horn instructor! :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

just wanted to thank everyone for your encouragement. Last weekend I went to the audition camp for Tampa Bay Thunder, a newer DCA corps based in my area. I really enjoyed the experience and I'm thinking that I want to march with them next summer. Just thought I'd update those asking about what I decided to do, but I can thank you all enough for giving me good advice. It's nice to have a community like this one for our activity. :smile:

• Like 3