Key Poulan to Glassmen

Not offended at all. You know I enjoy a good discussion especially about the Toledo Team. While it's hard to argue that 97-2001 were the most successful years as far as placement, I don't believe it's the right direction for the corps in this current age of drum corps. It's over ten years past those days and drum corps changes and every team must continue to evolve. Not live in past success. The most successful corps are the ones that have adapted every year to current trends and in the process created new trends.

The corps current design team is a big proponent of a new direction they've been trying to carve out and I definitely feel Rob Ferguson is a driving factor behind this. And I believe it's a GREAT thing for the corps. But that direction may not be shared with all, especially old school drum corps fans that don't seem overly interested in change. (No offense Dan) To see Rob's work at it's best you only have to look as far as Matrix PIW and see what happens when he has full control over a program. And they've been quite successful especially working out of an area of Ohio heavily populated with good percussion programs. This success can be seen transferring to the Glassmen percussion section since he took over I believe. And while he is not the "program coordinator" by any means, he is a driving force for the Glassmen staff and educational team as far as I can see. And hopefully his writing and influences can gel and work with Key Poulan better than they have with Don Hill and those two can create the music style that as of now, the Glassmen have seemed to be trying to achieve. Will it work? Who knows. But I know I'm going to support the corps in any way I can, no matter if they continue on a marching band rave path, or go to a full on Catholic Orchestral Mass. I'm a supporter of the organization, and that extends way past the going ons of the performance.

They may have "lost" some fan base, but maybe they're trying to appeal to a different group. I question those that they've "lost" though. Being a fan of a certain program or music is nice, but it's no different or better than jumping on a sports team bandwagon. Fan's stick by a corps for reasons way past the music on the field or the placement.

I think that the corps, who is usually incredibly quiet, have at least made a name move in this crazy off season shows that they fully intend on competing back for Saturday night. Last years show may have been 13th, but I believe it appealed to the high school crowd very much. And oddly enough, those are the kids that are drum corps age and could be showing up at the renovated G-West in November for first camp. Those are the kids paying tour fees that want to be a part of the corps whose interest caught them, whether it was the techno vampire style, the carnival, or whatever else gets them interested in drum corps and specifically the Glassmen.

Well put Matt ! :thumbup:

valid question....hopefully they will...........much more hope here then

having a line that plays ok with a lackluster book......

GB

As long as Key has the best techs available to him then everything should go smoothly , I agree totally with " I Play Timpany "

last year was what it was but I think that it might have had an effect on the high school band crowd and in that case November

will be very interesting ! Key has aleady said to all of the Glassmen family that he will bring his " A " game and nothing less ,

so for Key to make that statement with his vast years of experience in the drum corps world thats saying something ! :smile:

indeed there were past members as techs....But lets get real...they were techs only....As far as Alum from the past on staff...When was that?

Bolded by me so that I may ask exactly what that is suppose to mean?

Only In The Mood can tell you what he means...but I 'took it to mean' a number of things:

1) Brian (Glassmen director) will not put any Glassmen alum in a design role, BECAUSE they marched Glassmen

2) Techs are a dime a dozen, exerting no influence on the corps, the members, or the reputation of the organization

The overall tone of In The Mood's comments in this thread leads me to believe he feels that, but for Brian Hickman, the Glassmen would be a far better corps...or at least one more to his liking.

It seems the Glassmen have a fractured relationship with their 50 years of alumni. Many on here have offered some insight into why that is...including In The Mood.

(sorry...wandered off the initial topic of speculating on what he meant.

Edited by FHdork

Only In The Mood can tell you what he means...but I 'took it to mean' a number of things:

1) Brian (Glassmen director) will not put any Glassmen alum in a design role, BECAUSE they marched Glassmen

2) Techs are a dime a dozen, exerting no influence on the corps, the members, or the reputation of the organization

The overall tone of In The Mood's comments in this thread leads me to believe he feels that, but for Brian Hickman, the Glassmen would be a far better corps...or at least one more to his liking.

It seems the Glassmen have a fractured relationship with their 50 years of alumni. Many on here have offered some insight into why that is...including In The Mood.

(sorry...wandered off the initial topic of speculating on what he meant.

this is generally accurate.

The excellence in your staff, lies, almost solely, in these individuals.

I can not disagree with it more.

Anyone who thinks such things about "techs" has never spent a second working under people like Joe Wever.

• Like 2

Aren't the Glassmen the ones that have effectively kept the formation of a true Alumni Association from happening?

No but when the only people that come onto a place like DCP to talk about it are extremists that aren't even allowed to be members of Glassmen organization groups on social media sites, it sure could look that way.

But how about Key Poulan? :thumbup:

The excellence in your staff, lies, almost solely, in these individuals.

I can not disagree with it more.

Anyone who thinks such things about "techs" has never spent a second working under people like Joe Wever.

I totally agree with you!