Is Madison the new Crown?

As far as the drum line, I don't know if Hannum and Angelis held them back.

But I do see the track record of Beddis and Sparling.

I respect Mr. Hannum immensely: he has been responsible for at least two of the greatest percussion lines in DCI history (while trying to pepper the rhetoric, I think you can argue two of the greatest percussion sections in marching percussion history). That being said, clearly Madison had percussion issues, and it's great to see The Scouts quickly make a change. Not all arrangers or instructors work for all drum corps' styles and philosophies. Beddis has sort of built his career building strong drum lines (essentially) from scratch. This is exactly the type of instructor that I think Scouts need at this point.

Well, I'd agree that they had innovations. Now, if you call them good, that's where I'm going to diverge from you. This whole idea of one person being a star, well, and the whole thing wi the keyboard, Geez! Talk about making things so young groups can't have a chance to compete, unless they have LOTS of money. That's what was =not= supposed to

happen. The whole keyboard/electronics thing, we were told, was supposed to bring about more parity.

Didn't happen. Wouldn't happen. Not gonna do it! Wouldn't be prudent!

Real Drum Corps Doesn't Need Batteries!

Well wait... But.. hm. That's funny, because advancement in technology is shaping the music industry. If DCI didn't advance in its technology as well, DCI would not be with the present music scene. Plus, Crown wasn't the only group to have electronics. It just so happened that both the synths this past season were actual fantastic musicians. Both are music students in college with piano as their instrument. Often, DCI synths are just percussionists who can also play piano. These two Crown synths have actually studied piano performance in a university. That's why Crown had "the whole thing wi the keyboard, Geez!" Because they had two legitimate keyboard players who could play music that matched the level of difficulty being played by the rest of the instrumentalists. They happened to be equal in musicianship with the rest of the members, not some "chord background, less important" part of the front ensemble.

Yep.

I did read that Andy will be "Co-writer" so yeah, not sure how much

that will be, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

And I'm still wondering if they will pick up Adam Sage to help with Color Guard

now that he has stepped down from his position at Crown.

Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Adam, NO WAY,

• Like 3

The staff change surely should not #### off Scouts fans. I was referring to your jab about looking forward to more body movement, but you knew exactly what I was talking about. Yes, you did.

Hmm... guess I'll just repeat myself. I can't see why more "more body movement" woud be a "jab" to a Scouts fan. And I can't see why -- given the current staff's lineage -- we shouldn't expect to see more dance from Madison.

I can see why it might upset some folks who are stuck in the past -- what DCP often calls dinos -- but I'm certain there are plenty of Scouts fans who don't fit that description.

• Like 2

I wish nothing but the best for Madison. This drum corps has amazing heart and soul. Having said that, I wish that some folks here on DCP wouldn't get so super-hyped about the staff du jour......some of the DCP hype over the last couple of pre-seasons has had the corps in 5th, top 3, even winning it all based on staff announcements alone. This is a disservice to the 150 young men who march.

It's tough on these kids to match the hype when they have no control whatever over the programming and instruction of the corps.

To that end, I recall one of my Madison Alum friends on here posting back in LATE JULY something about "The Dream Team is gonna fly in for the weekend" and everything is gonna change. Seriously? Call them what you like, but why is the "Premier" staff finally flying in in late July?? Where have they been? Aren't most caption heads on tour? Isn't that what they're paid for?

It ALMOST doesn't matter if the new team is the butcher, the baker, and the candlestick maker....it seems to me that they need to be on tour with the kids, rewriting, enhancing, and helping them to get better with every show, like most other corps. The boys in Madison deserve that, imo.

Good luck in 2012 guys.

NOOOO caption heads are not always on tour or at least for the entire time.....most staff isnt..many come in and out and Caption heads are in touch constantly for any needed changes.....at least thats been my experience for many many years.

Hype is always hard to live up to and sometimes it helps them out alot ( a few this year ) and sometimes it hurts becAUSE ITS HARD TO LIVE UP TO SOMEONE ELSES expectation...wheather its alumni, fans or the corps itself........I think youve even honked a bit over the year for yours...lol..Oh well good luck to them all , should be another good year for many for at least another year :tongue:

Hmm... guess I'll just repeat myself. I can't see why more "more body movement" woud be a "jab" to a Scouts fan. And I can't see why -- given the current staff's lineage -- we shouldn't expect to see more dance from Madison.

I can see why it might upset some folks who are stuck in the past -- what DCP often calls dinos -- but I'm certain there are plenty of Scouts fans who don't fit that description.

More of the same I guess... Make the subtle comment in an attempt to get a rise out of someone - then "innocently" claim not to understand.... Thread after Thread after Thread..... We get it CB - you don't like Scouts fans. It's OK -- really! You are one of the many that make DCP fun to laugh at! :thumbup:

• Like 1

I think body movement can add a lot to a production. I've loved what Crown has done

with it the past few years. I also really like what Scouts have done in 2010 and 2011,

but it's been limited. Hopefully, if any is added, it will continue to be tasteful and

fit the style of the program, but that it will be another leap forward in innovation.

I think body movement can add a lot to a production. I've loved what Crown has done

with it the past few years. I also really like what Scouts have done in 2010 and 2011,

but it's been limited. Hopefully, if any is added, it will continue to be tasteful and

fit the style of the program, but that it will be another leap forward in innovation.

Great reply and hits on the point to which (IMO) some are completely blind: 90's drum corps (however freshly made-over) will only take you so far. Looking forward to seeing what comes out of these changes.

• Like 1

As of Today, Adam Sage Of Carolina Crown, as well as one other Carolina Crown guars staff member were announced as "added to the Scouts staff"

Amazing just how many Carolina Crown staff members are now with Scouts.

Edited by Cop
  • Like 1

Madison has had one of the top staffs in drum corps for the past two years. Their placement with these staffs is a matter of record.

They can change the "parts" of the staff - and opt for one high profile "name" over another, they can hype all they want on various forums, but until their design is substantially improved and until they can prove they can recruit a much higher caliber of talent, they are nowhere near the Carolina Crown product, as it stands today.

I root for the continuing existence and success of all drum corps, but honestly I don't think the hyperbole has helped the Scouts at all. A humble, low key, hard working, hard recruiting effort is what's needed now to get these guys near the top 6. Sadly all I see is a repeat of the last few years' "plan".

So, in answer to the initial question of the OP, no.

• Like 3