Did this not bother anyone else?

Yogi-

I will let others that have spent time with me assess my qualifications as a brass player and/or abililties to assess whether a hornline is using great technique and producing great sound as well.

I have no bias to Crown because they have been labeled the new Star of Indiana. I think that is an insult to what Crown has accomplished as they are their own entity and other than having a staff that grew up in the Star ranks there are no correlations between the two.

My observations of Crown's hornline are very unbiased other than I love the way they approach ensemble brass playing and the sound and clarity which they achieved this year.

To me great hornlines produce balanced sound with great attention to detail not only from a balance and blend but also from a clarity of the sound and silence that makes up music. Let me hear a solid attack and release with full balanced sound in between and that makes my day.

And one last thing that those that I have marched with and spent time with can tell you..... If a corps is using what we called the "program" I will listen to it with even more critical ears than corps that approach brass playing differently. I cannot stand when a hornline gives up the little #### and doesn't address every detail.

As I have said a few times since August..... I feel the Crown hornline from this year has raised the bar as the most complete hornline in DCI history. Yes we all have our opinion but prior to this year when I would listen to lines for balance, blend, pure sound and clarity I always did compare them to our line of 1992. There is now a new sheriff in town from my perspective.

like you said. I'd choose 02 and 03 cavaliers hornline over them any day. But like you said, these are all opinions.

Yeah they're clean musically, but last time i checked this was MARCHING band. So standing around won't win you a championship. The challenge is to move AND play.

If bandos wanted to listen to real musicians not move and play, then they'd go to an orchestra concert.

• Like 2

Yogi-

I will let others that have spent time with me assess my qualifications as a brass player and/or abililties to assess whether a hornline is using great technique and producing great sound as well.

I have no bias to Crown because they have been labeled the new Star of Indiana. I think that is an insult to what Crown has accomplished as they are their own entity and other than having a staff that grew up in the Star ranks there are no correlations between the two.

My observations of Crown's hornline are very unbiased other than I love the way they approach ensemble brass playing and the sound and clarity which they achieved this year.

To me great hornlines produce balanced sound with great attention to detail not only from a balance and blend but also from a clarity of the sound and silence that makes up music. Let me hear a solid attack and release with full balanced sound in between and that makes my day.

And one last thing that those that I have marched with and spent time with can tell you..... If a corps is using what we called the "program" I will listen to it with even more critical ears than corps that approach brass playing differently. I cannot stand when a hornline gives up the little #### and doesn't address every detail.

As I have said a few times since August..... I feel the Crown hornline from this year has raised the bar as the most complete hornline in DCI history. Yes we all have our opinion but prior to this year when I would listen to lines for balance, blend, pure sound and clarity I always did compare them to our line of 1992. There is now a new sheriff in town from my perspective.

I'd choose 02 and 03 cavaliers hornline over them any day. But like you said, these are all opinions.

Yeah they're clean musically, but last time i checked this was MARCHING band. So standing around won't win you a championship. The challenge is to move AND play.

If bandos wanted to listen to real musicians not move and play, then they'd go to an orchestra concert.

Edited by YogiBear
  • Like 2

like you said. I'd choose 02 and 03 cavaliers hornline over them any day. But like you said, these are all opinions.

Tell that to the Blue Devils.... :devil::ph34r: :jimlad:

But in all seriousness, calm down everybody. What Crown does on the field is pretty amazing. What every corps does on the field is nothing short of astounding. But what Crown does in terms of movement, field coverage, and musicality is almost unmatched in the drum corps arena. Paint it Black this year was insanely hard, as was Symphonic Dances. Last year, it was the Katchicurian No.2, in '09 it was St. Michael the Archangel. They have EXTREMELY challenging portions of their show, as does every corps, but they seem to do the musical parts a little bit better, so it seems. It's not for everyone, but that doesn't give anyone a right to tear down another corps for what's going on out on the field, okay?

Oh, yeah. And as people continue pointing out to you, dance is movement. It's been around for centuries longer than this marching stuff, so trying to get all high and mighty about marching is just going to make you look stupid. Thanks. Trying to play while doing the same dance moves some people practice for years takes tons of work and effort, especially to play as well as they do.

Edited by fsubone
  • Like 3

I'd choose 02 and 03 cavaliers hornline over them any day. But like you said, these are all opinions.

I would not call what Crown does "standing around"

• Like 3

blando bando

:devil:

Is that the DCIA apologist in you coming out? :tounge2::lol::laughing::w00t::smile::tongue::shutup:

Boy, do I miss RAMD.

No, wait. I don't miss that fetid cesspool of cranial dung at all. It's the Naugles Mexican restaurant chain that I miss.

• Like 1

Yes, C*th*r*n*. :devil:

I'd like to buy a vowel...

(will you admit you threw me that straight line?)

• Like 1

Is that the DCIA apologist in you coming out? :tounge2::lol::laughing::w00t::smile::tongue::shutup:

No, sounds more like the Michael Boo Back Up Band :worthy:

Do you have a dalmation kilt ?

After all, you love cheese so much...did you work at Swill Swiss Colony ? :blink:

Michael, when you were born did they turn you over and think "she who will not be mentioned by name" and you were twins ?

Edist for the genkis spelling of Swiss as swill

Edited by The Other Mike

Boy, do I miss RAMD.

No, wait. I don't miss that fetid cesspool of cranial dung at all. It's the Naugles Mexican restaurant chain that I miss.

"Mos Eisley RAMD spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

You can quote me.

Edited by wvu80

I'd like to buy a vowel...

(will you admit you threw me that straight line?)

I admit to nothing. I like being able to walk through darkened alleys.

I admit to nothing. I like being able to walk through darkened alleys.

Wheres Wayne Doutey ( sp ? ) when you need a laugh.

THAT thread was one of the funniest threads I ever read over there.