In Season Corps Fundraiser Idea

Stu: Valid points, but here's the thing, I do. :smile: I love my time volunteering.

If you volunteer exclusively for just a cooking crew, then you must realize your idea is a non-starter because the cooking crew flat does not have enough time and energy to accomplish both taking qualitative care of the kids (which, by the way, is their primary responsibility) AND prepare/serve qualitative "concessions" to sell.

I guess I just disagree to some level with you Stu. Cooking crews are already extremely active in the lot making at least snack for the corps during the show. I don't see why selling some extra would be all that much different, and that's where my thoughts came from. If I'm already cooking for 180, how much more is it to make an extra batch of whatever. And again, if you're a corps that HAS THE EXTRA HANDS, why not capitalize on this and offer more. If you have nothing to offer, than don't. I just know that many corps eat very well including the one I help cook for whenever possible, and that maybe there's some extra money to be made in the process with a little forward thinking.

I guess I just disagree to some level with you Stu. Cooking crews are already extremely active in the lot making at least snack for the corps during the show. I don't see why selling some extra would be all that much different, and that's where my thoughts came from. If I'm already cooking for 180, how much more is it to make an extra batch of whatever. And again, if you're a corps that HAS THE EXTRA HANDS, why not capitalize on this and offer more. If you have nothing to offer, than don't. I just know that many corps eat very well including the one I help cook for whenever possible, and that maybe there's some extra money to be made in the process with a little forward thinking.

Agreed. I was on kitchen duty as an MM and I can't tell you how much food the volunteers and our crew have to throw away after many shows...

Must be nice to be involved with one of the elite corps that has extra hands and extra volunteers. Here is an idea: why not send those extra hands and extra volunteers over to the multitude of struggling corps which have extreme difficulty getting people to volunteer.

Agreed. I was on kitchen duty as an MM and I can't tell you how much food the volunteers and our crew have to throw away after many shows...

This tells me that the the person in charge of your cooking crew does not know how to portion out meals to minimize waist; thus costing the corps valuable resources by throwing money out in the garbage.

ok as far as the food thing ( think of another because it wont be possible )

reasons

1. a show host wont give it up because usually money is not made on tickets sales but on concession...why would they give that up

2. Bigger shows like regionals as one person posted...there is a contract for part pof the gate as well as the concessions...never gonna give that up

3. all the reasons everyone else gave.....lol :smile:

Was making dinner tonight and had this thought. Would it work or even be possible for corps to fund raise at shows by utilizing their cook truck as the mobile kitchen and restaurant it really is? I realize some shows would never allow it as it would take greatly from concession sales, but what if corps could instead sell food from their trucks to spectators? Corps could decide for themselves if they want to participate and to what extent. Even set their own prices. Many corps eat VERY well, why not capitalize on this? Would it just be the shows preventing it so they can try and make money? Anyone else think that people would pay maybe even an extra dollar or two to grab that burger or philly steak and cheese from a corps truck versus a concession stand?

Just trying to think outside the box for some fund raising ideas for corps. Plus it's the offseason and somehow these are the thoughts that ended up in my head. Anyone else have a thought on this or maybe some other way corps can make some money on the road using resources they already have?

Coincidentally I've been watching The Great Food Truck Race the last month and change, and every week I think of the drum corps food trucks. :satisfied:

The local BBQ place the marching band staff I teach with frequents recently bought a food truck for business. The owner was telling us that it was a (relatively) cheap investment (he said about $100k) and he does good business. Maybe an off-shoot of your idea would be a good "side business" to help support the corps would be to set up a food truck in their local area. There would obviously be start-up costs and regular expenses involved, but it could be a good revenue generator for an enterprising drum corps with the seed money to get it up and running. In the finale of The Great Food Truck Race, the two finalists had to make $15k on their last stop (the first to make fifteen grand and meet the host at a beach location in Miami would win), and both finalist trucks made the money in a weekend (that's after expenses for their supply purchases). Maybe the corps could run the business during the off-season, used the cook crew to take the 'lead' at camps and throughout the summer (or the food truck could tour with the corps to make money on the road).

Just a thought/brain storm branching from your idea. Props to you for volunteering for your corps!! :thumbup:

Here is something to consider: Health Codes/Inspections and Food Sales Licenses in various cities/states.

I would second this concern. Most places would require you to have a food dealer license for the cook truck(which can run several hundred dollars), a temporary permit to do business at the stadium itself, and then you can still be subject to random inspections as the health department sees fit. That means being aware of the various health codes within that jurisdiction and following them to a "T". Also have to factor in the liability issues that are associated with serving food to non-corps members.

• Like 1

Logistically, not as easy as you think.

These are considered 'food trucks' if they are selling their food.

This is a permit/zone/inspection NIGHTMARE, just about anywhere.

There is a very good chance that all the problems outweight the financial advancement (if there is any).

I can say that the two big corps I marched with would fail most food truck inspections, and they both had awesome food.

• Like 1