For Those Who Serve, And Have Served...

davidp

Hi,

I had a thought the other day about a tribute to those who have bravely defended our country, and continue to do so. I thought I'd run this idea "up the flagpole, and see who salutes it." I have chosen four pieces, one of which might be a percussion feature. Feel free to comment, switch around what I have, and also make substitutions, if you think something else might fit better.

Here goes:

"For Those Who Serve, and Have Served..."

"In the Spring, When Kings Go Off to War" - Holsinger

"Battle March Medley" - Woods (the Pogues) - possible percussion feature (with "old skool" guard work, maybe?)

"Band of Brothers" - Kamen

"Hymn to the Fallen" - Williams (from "Saving Private Ryan")

I think I had another one, but I forgot what it was (ADHD sucks, ya know?).

At the end of the show, the color guard, as the corps leaves the field, would spread out two banners; one would read, "For Those who Serve and Have Served..." (left side) and the other would read, "Thank You!!!"

Anyway, have at it.

Thanks. :smile:

I'm adding "Victory at Sea" to the mix as well. :smile:

Good choice ... listen to Sky's Color Pre from 1964 and 1975 to get a flavor of Hy Dreitzer's arrangements ... the Alumni also played Victory's fabled Hymn in 2005 ... classic piece ...

:-)

I really do like the idea, but in today's world of "Show Coordinators", it has as much chance of making it onto the field as does a color pre to Battle Hymn of the Republic. I'm not trying to throw darts, just sadly being realistic.

• Like 2

I really do like the idea, but in today's world of "Show Coordinators", it has as much chance of making it onto the field as does a color pre to Battle Hymn of the Republic. I'm not trying to throw darts, just sadly being realistic.

It is unfortunate that you are right. However, in light of the DCA's 2012 World Championship weekend at the hallowed grounds of Annapolis, such a show of patriotism would be very appropriate!

Which brave Corps will step "Off the Line" and present an old style military/patriotic theme for 2012? I would pay to see that!

Edited by Shenandoah Vibrato

It is unfortunate that you are right. However, in light of the DCA's 2012 World Championship weekend at the hallowed grounds of Annapolis, such a show of patriotism would be very appropriate!

Which brave Corps will step "Off the Line" and present an old style military/patriotic theme for 2012? I would pay to see that!

If I was to design a show like the OP suggested, I would try and get as far away from WWII and WWII-related music as I possibly could. Not that it would be bad, mind you, but...it's been done so many times.

Why not do something that highlights/profiles/pays-tribute-to veterans from the Vietnam, Gulf War, and Iraq/Afghanistan eras? Would it be different? Yes. Would it feature non-traditional music? Sure. Would it be cool? Absolutely.

• Like 1

If I was to design a show like the OP suggested, I would try and get as far away from WWII and WWII-related music as I possibly could. Not that it would be bad, mind you, but...it's been done so many times.

Why not do something that highlights/profiles/pays-tribute-to veterans from the Vietnam, Gulf War, and Iraq/Afghanistan eras? Would it be different? Yes. Would it feature non-traditional music? Sure. Would it be cool? Absolutely.

What was the name of that Billy Joel song, "We'll All Go Down Together," or something? The reason I picked "Band of Brothers" and "Hymn to the Fallen" was because of the recent (sort of) movie and miniseries. The "Battle March Medley," in my opinion, work work for any era (and it could showcase some really cool drill and guard work) Plus, I wasn't sure if the music of the Vietnam era was all that kind to the military (the fall of Saigon happened around my 11th birthday, so my memories of that time are vague, at best). I do see where you're coming from. I'm just not sure what music would be considered fitting for a modern military tribute. Of course, that's why I invited comments, substitutions, etc. (and it is very much appreciated :smile: ).

This is fun; keep it going!

would be nice to see a patriotic show................old style Military?....no thanks...JMO

Two thoughts...

"Summon the Heroes" from Saving Private Ryan, although John Williams would never give permission for it to be played by a corps.

"Theme from The Battle of Britain", United Artists movie from 1968, by Ron Goodwin. There's a version out there somewhere in my stack by the Cincinnati Pops. WOW!

Andy Lisko, please take note for the Sky Alumni....

Man... I would love to hear/see a show based entirely on the "Victory at Sea" music. The Hymn is awesome... and the rest of the soundtrack isn't too shabby, either.