Dah Horn Doctah!

The BAC Horn Doctor saves drum corps lives. Drum corps puts huge wear and tare on brass instruments, but ever horn the BAC Horn Doctor has fixed makes those worn out pieces of marching metal look like nothing's happened. Ode to the Horn Doctor.

Post previous experiences you've had with the Horn Doctor here. Give 'em some love!

• Like 2

I won't forget Pasenda 2007 on Finals night, BAC all filed past the Doctah's trailer (who was busy beating a horn to death....I'm not even sure what kind it was). Anyway, BAC passed by two by two and he gave them all a good laugh as he went through his antics......you could tell they loved this guy. Thank you Doctor. Oh, and he fixes the #### out of horns!!!!!! :thumbup:

While the BAC Horn Doctor is central to this anecdote, it surely is more about another aspect of alignment and renewal.

I was at a Blue Devils rehearsal finals week last summer when the BAC Horn Doctor was there. He apparently had finished repairing several horns and had a young man tote them to the field where the brass were practicing. This young man - late teens, early 20s most - placed all the finished horns on the sideline except one. That one, a baritone, he carried onto the field directly into the hands of its owner, a young lady who obviously was gifted beyond her musical talent.

All involved seemed happy, though perhaps for different reasons.

HH

• Like 1

I've known Mike since we were kids (it was him that convinced me to try out for the Crossmen and me that convinced him to try out for BAC) and he's a beautiful human being. If you aren't aware, read what he's done for New Orleans musicians several times over the last few years: http://offbeat.com/2010/06/01/horn-adjustments/

For anyone who doesn't know Mike but may have attended DCI 2001 finals, he's the guy that proposed to his girlfriend on the field that night. They now have two young children. When his daughter was born, Mike's Facebook profile photo was a photo her in the the hospital cradle with a tiny Bb French Horn laying on it. For the birth of his son, he repeated the stunt with a little soprano trombone.

I send him all my trombones when they need repair. A few years ago I sent him a 1956 Conn 6H that had been in my family since the early 1960s. While it played well, the lacquer was totally gone and it looked terrible. He sent that thing back looking like a brand new horn.

• Like 1

This is two faceted:

1. BAC's in house work and custom built horns out of their studios, are AWESOME. Check them out. Their trombones are ridiculous. Their custom work in house, RIDICULOUS.

2. Their work at show sites/rehearsal sites... is not. They are like an ambulance that patches stuff up until it can be better addressed. I'd much rather spend a rehearsal day on a beater while my horn was in-house somewhere... then have the BAC mutilate my silver, leave chunks of solder everywhere, and not completely check for leaks.

It isn't because they are bad, quite the contrary, they are good. But it is a function of how they are trying to help a lot of people and a lot of horns and are doing it out of a trailer.

• Like 3

I don't know what is funnier...

1. The fact you claim I didn't use your service and have you confused with someone else. (When you are clearly marked and have a recognizable name)

2. You tried to bypass the advertisement clause of the site by getting a random person to start a "i heart bac" thread.

And yes, I've seen your ugly mug. Your shop, singlehandedly sends out the (without a doubt) the best trombone slides in the world. The in house made stuff is epic, and trombones sent to you come back with slides of magic. I've dealt with you several times. Each time was nice, in house. In the drum corps arena, not so much.

And no, I'm not going to out where I teach and have dealt with you. Your in house work speaks for itself, your outside stuff does not.

The best way to resolve that, is do a better job cleaning that stuff up.

Everyone else, be forewarned, if you enjoy solder chunks and holes, this is your drum corps repair group. Otherwise, if you can hold off, get it done in house somewhere.

• Like 3

I don't know what is funnier...

1. The fact you claim I didn't use your service and have you confused with someone else. (When you are clearly marked and have a recognizable name)

2. You tried to bypass the advertisement clause of the site by getting a random person to start a "i heart bac" thread.

And yes, I've seen your ugly mug. Your shop, singlehandedly sends out the (without a doubt) the best trombone slides in the world. The in house made stuff is epic, and trombones sent to you come back with slides of magic. I've dealt with you several times. Each time was nice, in house. In the drum corps arena, not so much.

And no, I'm not going to out where I teach and have dealt with you. Your in house work speaks for itself, your outside stuff does not.

The best way to resolve that, is do a better job cleaning that stuff up.

Everyone else, be forewarned, if you enjoy solder chunks and holes, this is your drum corps repair group. Otherwise, if you can hold off, get it done in house somewhere.

...really?

Always seemed to do quality work for our horns! In '07, I smashed in the side of my trumpet from repeatedly (and forcefully) going from trail to attention. BAC fixed it...multiple times, I think. Proudest drum corps moment was definitely being able to say I crushed a horn with my bare hands...

Thanks BAC Horn Doctor!

Edited by DrillmanSop06
  • Like 5