Should Scouts bring back Empire State of Mind next year?

Should Scouts bring back ESOM next year?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scouts bring back Empire State of Mind next year?

^^What he said. And a little magic

You may be interested in knowing who ckomnick, the person who asked you about your source, is outside of DCP. But then again, maybe not. :shutup:

• Like 1

The corps did play ESOM at our camp this weekend as part of our rehearsal music. We also played Brian's Song and scales and exercises. I don't know what we're going to play for our encore pieces as we often don't even decide that until late in the spring. I'm thinking some of the slur exercises might be the best choice.

I was just surprised by the word "fact" and was wondering if somebody failed to get me the memo.

:winky:

P.S. - we do have our show selected and I'm thinking on making the announcement on 12.25 :tongue:

You may be interested in knowing who ckomnick, the person who asked you about your source, is outside of DCP. But then again, maybe not. :shutup:

• Like 3

The corps did play ESOM at our camp this weekend as part of our rehearsal music. We also played Brian's Song and scales and exercises. I don't know what we're going to play for our encore pieces as we often don't even decide that until late in the spring. I'm thinking some of the slur exercises might be the best choice.

I was just surprised by the word "fact" and was wondering if somebody failed to get me the memo.

:winky:

P.S. - we do have our show selected and I'm thinking on making the announcement on 12.25 :tongue:

Chris:

I would definitely go with the slur exercises. That would be absolutely radical. As for the use of the word "fact," did you also not get the memo about the corps moving to Bermuda? Speaking of Bermuda, I'm really anticipating you making the official announcement about the "Bermuda Triangle" show. Are you going to utilize my suggestion for the Iannis Xenakis opener?

• Like 1

Chris:

I would definitely go with the slur exercises. That would be absolutely radical. As for the use of the word "fact," did you also not get the memo about the corps moving to Bermuda? Speaking of Bermuda, I'm really anticipating you making the official announcement about the "Bermuda Triangle" show. Are you going to utilize my suggestion for the Iannis Xenakis opener?

You mean this?

(BTW - With Hop's mancrush on Manilow, very surprised Cadets have never done any of his tunes. One of the mysteries of the universe...)

Well, Barry does have a few Christmas albums out. :cool:

I’ve often thought that all Madison has to do is get off the bus and the crowd goes wild, no matter what the show. No one is better at bringing out old standards from past shows and make them seem brand new than Madison. How many times has Madison performed “Slaughter on Tenth Avenue” or “Maleguena” or any Gershwin music and the crowd swoons? I know I love it. ESOM has the potential to be another Madison favorite for the ages, so bring it back. As for next year, it depends on the theme of the show. Of course I also agree with those who mentioned the blocked out portion on 2011 DCI DVDs and Blu-Rays, Madison, get the licensing rights in advance of DCI.

• Like 1

Really....a fact.

And your source is?

I think he heard it from the Corps Director. :tongue:

• Like 1

I think it depends on the year and the corps. 27th did it successfully in 79 and 80, so too did SCV in 88/89, although they discovered in 78/79, it doesn't always work (though I thought their third place show in 79 was stronger than their victory in 78, but that's just me). Phantom did it to great success with Spartacus though that was not in successive years and the two Spartacus shows were very different. Madison may be the best at bringing new life to old favorites, but usually not in successive years. I do agree with you than in quite a few cases, the reexaminations are not as good as the originals.

I'm a big Scouts fan, and I voted No for two reasons. First, Mr. Boo and others are correct that much of the tune's power was dependant on the context. Unless Mr. Mason & Company choose to either trash their plan for next year or shoe horn it into an already existing program, I don't see it happening. Second, it has been my experience that attempts by corps to improve on something and bring it back the following year often left a lot to be desired.

I would just as soon the corps either used it as an encore or left it alone for a while until a theme emerged where it would fit.

Edited by Tim K