Should Scouts bring back Empire State of Mind next year?

Should Scouts bring back ESOM next year?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scouts bring back Empire State of Mind next year?

NO!!!

I am grateful that the days of copping out and playing the same thing in consecutive years are gone!

I loved some of those shows back then, but c'mon! That is so weak. Corps that did that basically admit that they dont want to put in any effort and regurgitate the same ole stuff.

Empire State of Mind was one of the most memorable and special moments I have ever witnessed. I dont want them trying to one-up themselves on that. It was a wonderful moment in time, leave it alone!

• Like 1

89, I think...I remember it not being the entire show, but one of the charts...either Gloria or Images Diabolique (more likely images Diabolique, since Gloria was done again in 90)

It was whatever Images Diabolique was written to replace. I didn't march '89, but I remember being surprised to hear that they had to replace an entire song.

Jeff

Except the SCV show was the same theme in 1989 as in 1988. But I agree it would make a great encore tune.

You are correct sir, no doubt about it, on both counts.

But when SCV brought back not only the same tune but the same show, re-written and re-staged, did the audiences from 1989 support it or reject it? :rock:

Boo, I bet you listen to it everyday on your iPod. :music:

++

Not meaning to argue here, because I think there are well stated arguments on all sides (including Mr. "Who Cares?" :w00t:).

It's a legitimate thread drift to note that this is not 1989 anymore, and these are different times. BITD a corps was not competitive if they did NOT bring back a popular tune from the year before. In this day and age, you probably are not competitive if you do.

The results of the poll are overwhelming that folks do NOT want to see ESOM again on the field anytime soon, and that's OK with me. It's a good snapshot of the current sentiment of the drum corps state-of-the-art hard core fan base, and I accept it for what it is.

Edited by wvu80

But when SCV brought back not only the same tune but the same show, re-written and re-staged, did the audiences from 1989 support it or reject it? :rock:

++

Not meaning to argue here, because I think there are well stated arguments on all sides (including Mr. "Who Cares?" :w00t:).

It's a legitimate thread drift to note that this is not 1989 anymore, and these are different times. BITD a corps was not competitive if they did NOT bring back a popular tune from the year before. In this day and age, you probably are not competitive if you do.

The results of the poll are overwhelming that folks do NOT want to see ESOM again on the field anytime soon, and that's OK with me. It's a good snapshot of the current sentiment of the drum corps state-of-the-art hard core fan base, and I accept it for what it is.

some did question a repeat show for SCV at the time..even a repeat of Souts show in the 90s but lets keep in mind it was over 20 years ago...its a different drum corps world now

++

Am I the only person involved with drum corps who doesn't yet have an iPod? How would I get my 78 rpm platters onto one?

Much of the reason "Empire State of Mind" was so powerful was how it grew out of what came before it. Context was a "10."

If it was brought back and didn't have that same contextual impact, fans would be disappointed at the letdown.

Seriously; should I have an iPod? Would it make airplane trips seem to go faster? Would it make me more hip to the kiddies?

Am I the only person involved with drum corps who doesn't yet have an iPod? How would I get my 78 rpm platters onto one?

Much of the reason "Empire State of Mind" was so powerful was how it grew out of what came before it. Context was a "10."

If it was brought back and didn't have that same contextual impact, fans would be disappointed at the letdown.

Seriously; should I have an iPod? Would it make airplane trips seem to go faster? Would it make me more hip to the kiddies?

Boo,

If you really want to put your vinyl onto the computer, and then later to your portable music player of choice you should try this. ( http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/B000BUEMOO).

You should get and iPod, or OTHER music player of your own choosing if you enjoy having music to make the time go by faster. I don't have an iPod; I NEVER had an iPod.... I'd be more inclined to get an iPad or some other tablet. It's more flexible and can do many more things other than playing music.

I'm not against Apple. I've had iPhones and Macs ( used in conjunction with PCs) in the past ... Currently, I have an Android phone.

Edited by jjeffeory

Boo,

If you really want to put your vinyl onto the computer, and then later to your portable music player of choice you should try this. ( http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/B000BUEMOO).

Okay, but I can't figure out how I would wear that when I go jogging.

Haha! That's why you have "friends" to help you with that! tongue.gif

I can't believe you don't know the answer to such a simple problem!

41SjEvpxsFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just Scotch Tape a penny to the end of the tone arm. It keeps it from bouncing up and down. :doh:

Edited by wvu80