What program do drill writers use.

Arrowmarcher

Hey everyone, I'm relatively new to WGI (both guard and percussion) and my old school is considering starting indoor programs for both guard and percussion. I have Pyware 3D and I wrote drill for my schools band this last year and I would like to be on staff for designing the indoor shows, but I'm not sure what program to use for designing for indoor groups. If anyone knows what programs to use it would be helpful. Thanks everyone!

Bodies and pointing. sometimes paper and pencil.

Bodies and pointing. sometimes paper and pencil.

this............and a good eye for design, transition, flow, entrances and exits, blend and purpose..unless youre top 3 in WC then throw it all out the window and do what you want and call it art....lol....sorry couldnt help myself ..it was to easy...lol :tongue:

• Like 1

Pyware has a plug in for indoor. You can even upload your floor jpg and chart on top of it.

+1

• Like 1

I have been using EnVision by Box5 Software. I haven't purchased the full version (yet) as I still playing with the demo version.

The animation and workflow great. Kinda makes you realize how dated some of the other programs are... to each their own I suppose.

• 1 month later...

I have many accounts, and I STILL use paper and pencil and my good ol' brain. I'm NOT convinced yet that I can move "faster" on computer, the "animations"

aren't always what you want to see or how you REALLY want it done, and I have yet to see a program print out it's drill as neatly as I write mine. The only

thing drill programs are good at doing are numbers management, so if you need to change drill due to number changes in the personnel, then it's a snap. I do

give it that...

But I probably will never use a computer. And if Jay Murphy says so, then it

MUST be true.... :-)

Edited by Newton

• 1 month later...

I have been writting field/winterguard/indoor drumline shows for over 16 years. I have been using Pyware almost the entire time. For indoor, I may sketch out ideas on Pyware, but I usually end up writting the form book at rehearsal. I prefer this way so I can get more input from the equipment and body staff. I can see their ideas and use those to help the flow of the form. I will then sketch it down and put a final version into Pyware to perfect intervals and such.

The one problem I have always found with Pyware is when there are staggered counts to a move. Something I like to have in the form book to create visual effects. I end up writting in 4 count movements and it is a real pain as opposed to telling the performers at a rehearsal: "Here is where I want you to end up"; "Here is how I want you to get here"; "You start on count X, you start on count Y, and you start on count Z". Much easier. Plus I get real time feed back doing it in the gym.

Pyware is great, but can never replace the creative mind and visual detail you get standing in the gym.

The one problem I have always found with Pyware is when there are staggered counts to a move. Something I like to have in the form book to create visual effects. I end up writting in 4 count movements and it is a real pain as opposed to telling the performers at a rehearsal: "Here is where I want you to end up"; "Here is how I want you to get here"; "You start on count X, you start on count Y, and you start on count Z". Much easier. Plus I get real time feed back doing it in the gym.

Pyware is great, but can never replace the creative mind and visual detail you get standing in the gym.

Agreed. You can waste a TON of time just getting Pyware to animate something correctly that you already know how to teach on the fly.