Did you march your age out?

ANS: YES

WHY: After 15 years in the same corps, I could not imagine not marching my age-out year in year number 16.

REGRETS: Absolutely none. We didn't make finals, but it was a great year for our corps and the best they ever were. I also made friendships that I still value to this day.

Yes.

I wasn't planning on marching my age-out but someone had other plans. I got a call just before regional season asking if I'd be willing to come fill a spot in the hornline. I said yes, bought a ticket to San Antonio, joined the corps on tour, and aged out of a DCI World Class drum corps just as I had dreamed.

To be honest, there was a lot going on in my life at that point and sometimes I regret going back. Weird, I know. But when I look back on it, I am proud to be among those who had a dream and lived it. I walked away from marching music (as a performer) knowing I had that capstone on my involvement.

If you didn't - why not and do you regret it?

I did. I was engaged at the time, planning a wedding (which was in December of that year), and my wife (fiance) was on staff at another drum corps. It was difficult, and there were several days where I was on a pay phone (stupid 90's...) with my wife making decisions during free time adding to the stress. But I don't regret it at all, and would do it again. I've been married now going on 13 years but only had the opportunity to march two DCI seasons. While planning a wedding in the midst of marching drum corps (on top of college) was very difficult, I'm positive I would've regretted not marching. There's just something that feels "right" about marching off the field after the final performance. Win, lose, satisfied with placements or not there's a feeling of accomplishment and closure I felt knowing I made it to the 'finish line,' so to speak, of my DCI career.

Same feeling for WGI IW percussion: I aged-out of WGI playing snare drum with my wedding band on! It was crazy, and more stressful than marching a summer of DCI pre-married (long story short: I wasn't planning on marching WGI after getting married, but when January rolled around and my unit 'needed' me I couldn't say no), but I feel like I gave everything I had to DCI & WGI. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't feel that way bailing on my age-out season.

Did I march? Yes, kinda.

DCI announced in Spring 1973 that it would crack down on "ringers" - members who had turned 21 prior to 01 JUNE of that season. I turned 21 on 30 APR, so I would be a "ringer." Corps Manager George Bonfiglio was a board member of DCI. Ringers within his organization would embarass the organization.

Regret? No. Rules are rules.

Edited by Navillus WP

Answer: No.

Why?: I got drafted into the Army (draft was still on in 1972)

Regret: Definately - Had I marched my age out year I would completed the loop of having won a DCI Championship (SCV 1973), VFW Championship (1971), and an American Legion Championship (1970). Two out of three is still not too shabby.

:ph34r:

No..

Ah, someone of my own grouping...a DRAFTEE!!

Marched my first year with "Brass Inc." in '72 (Hey Jesse - we followed you guys on in Racine that year..talk about scary), was hoping to try out for St. Paul Scouts the next year (they had asked me to fill a hole for '2nd tour', I declined)but like Jesse - 2 days after getting to vote for the first time..I got my draft notice in the mail..

Lost 3 seasons because I decided to enlist for a school and station, instead of having my job 'chosen' for me..

Yes and no..I have been told that I could have gone to either Blue Stars or Madison for my age-out year ('75)

Now THAT would have been cool. :cool:

Pat

• Like 1

YES.

After 2 years with the Crossmen, I got the call on my BIRTHDAY that the corps was moving to Texas for my age-out summer. I contemplated aging out elsewhere, and joining a corps where competitive success wasn't so up in the air. But it didn't take me long to realize I was making the trip down to Texas with the Crossmen. So many people, to this day, ask me if I regret not going somewhere else and marching in Finals. And I can confidently say I do not regret my decision to stay.

Being one of only 40-something veterans in the 2007 Crossmen meant so much to me and always will. Being a part of a cross-country move and keeping the traditions of a group as deeply rooted in history/tradition as the Crossmen (and all drum corps for that matter) was more important than any medal or individual performance could ever be. I know this is a little off-topic, but it felt good to say anyways :tongue:

• Like 3

No, i didn't

i marched every year Fever was active (2003-07).... i wasn't planning on marching in 08 for financial reasons, and then Fever ended up folding around memorial camp....i DID try out for SCV for 09, but the only open bass was 5th, and my back and knees could no longer handle a 32...plus, i didn't have the money to march anyway

would it have been awesome and wonderful to age out in anywhere? sure...but, i TOTALLY lacked the money to do so, and the only two corps i wanted to do it w/ were Fever and SCV

I marched my age-out year. It was worth it, but obviously there were sacrifices. Music is not my chosen career, but I learned a lot, including some things that can be applied to life in general, regardless of what you are doing. I also am on staff with a HS marching band, so my two DCI years are useful for that and gave me more knowledge and allow me to teach the kids better than I would have been able to otherwise.

No.

I had many options, and no money. I wanted to age out at Crossmen after marching my first two seasons. But making the trip out to camps from Philly was impossible. And i needed to work. I almost filled a hole... and was going to quit my job, but I ended up having to stay home to watch my dogs while my parents were on Vacation. I was pretty ######. I also almost filled a hole at Crown at one point over the summer. But none of it actually materialized. But I really wanted to age out at Crossmen (that is why I passed up the Crown spot).

Regrets... Yes and No. If I would have marched again, I don't even want to imagine my financial situation right now. Because it's already pretty crappy from spending all my saved up money on marching two seasons. And even got a lot of help in '09, which I am very grateful for. I regret not ageing out. But it also wasn't the best season to march in the corps if you look back.

Looking back on it all... I hate to say this... I regret nothing about my experience as a member of the Crossmen. I had an amazing instructional staff and have family I can always count on all over the country. However, if I could go back in time, I wouldn't have done it. Maybe one season. But It has put me so far behind in other aspects of my life. I DON'T regret it. Don't get me wrong. But the financial burden it has put me in is no fun. My advice, only do drum corps if you can actually afford it. I know... there goes over half of the current members for all corps. But it is just too costly. It is a great deal money wise. A lot of summer camps that last for a week or to are as much or more than the cost of drum corps. But the time commitment and money commitment just did not work out well for me. Life has just caught up to me really fast lately.

Sorry for getting long winded. it is just something I have thought about a lot. Basically I don't regret not marching my age out. But I do think and go back and forth on my time in drum corps constantly.

• Like 1

No, I did not march my age out.

I was going to college and could not see doing both (I know many others who did, so that was my fault).

At the time I did not regret it. With hind sight, there are times I think I should have finished up with my corps, but then there are many other things I did during those years which were also life-changing and wonderful (which would have been the case had I stayed in drum corps, too.)