Revamped Classic Countdown

DCI could do many of these things.....and cheaper....on the Fan Network.

Some old guys must like the idea of having a theater with dolby sound and a great big screen...all to themselves. Unfortunately, none of those guys work at DCI.

Seeing older drum corps perform just doesn't bring in the folks...that's why the format changed.

I think you are right. DCI could do some of these special offerings on the Fan Network and most likely increase the value of a subscription. But, it would still take time to edit each one of the "features." Best Percussion Moments of the 1980s, Loudest Hornlines of All Time, etc. These could be done, but the production work to put them together would still have costs involved. The key would be to use these specials to build more value and gain more subscriptions to the Fan Network.

Then, with a big screen TV, a nice audio system and a popcorn popper and a couple of cold ones, fans are ready for a very similar experience right from their own living room.

i would imagine the editing work would be far cheaper than the costs of running it thru Fathom.

And with the Fan Network, if you offer it up as a special, and leave it available, you increase repeat viewings which could lead to increased subscriptions

i would imagine the editing work would be far cheaper than the costs of running it thru Fathom.

And with the Fan Network, if you offer it up as a special, and leave it available, you increase repeat viewings which could lead to increased subscriptions

I have no argument. Makes fine business sense. Maybe we should run it by DanielRay first though. Ya' Think?

• Like 1

No offense, but I think you're missing the forest for the trees. The fact is people are going - and going in big numbers. Ticket sales for each of the past three years has been in excess of 37,000 for these. Those numbers are in the Montreal category.

This format is drawing big. That's undeniable. What's unfathomable is this thinking that similar big crowds would want to buy tickets to see shows that not only couldn't place among their contemporaries but that also have failed to gain more than niche recognition since. I saw '94 VK live in 1994. They were fun. But there are better VK shows. Why would we expect either the new generation or the previous one to buy tickets to see a VK show that isn't legendary? That's not what the countdown is for*. That's what the Fan Network and DVDs are for.

HH

*Except as a footnote inside a broader program.

You are quoting ticket sale stats from a different show. Quarter-Finals is different than the Classic Countdown

Carry on

ANYTHING would be better than the lame format they have had for the last few years, which I think is little more than a DCI recruiting gimmick (get the bandos in, and get them hooked). I haven't gone because the closest theater from my house is a good hour's drive and I already have the last 10 years on DVD...why would I want to drive an hour to see something I can watch in the comfort of my home? Show us some of the older shows we CAN'T see on Fan Network-like '94 Velvet Knights, for example. Didn't score well, but was one of the funniest shows I can remember. Maybe have folks vote for the top shows to NOT make Finals, and limit it to pre-2000; again, the stuff you CAN'T get on FN. Just MHO, but I know that format would get me back in the theater.

...the bandos ARE the audience. The dinos aren't. For your lack of ticket sales, you already gave them money via DVDs and from my understanding, the Fan Network. They don't need you in the theater; you already support DCI. The bandos are more important.

• Like 1

...the bandos ARE the audience. The dinos aren't. For your lack of ticket sales, you already gave them money via DVDs and from my understanding, the Fan Network. They don't need you in the theater; you already support DCI. The bandos are more important.

On target, sir. Exactly correct. Except I would refer to the potential prime audience members as "members of scholastic marching bands." Because, we can't have a potentially deragatory name for these folks. They can provide DCI much needed income.

Edited by Tom Brace

Duh! Well at least it's good to know I've made my annual error.

HH

'Bout time... it's the next to last month of the year already. :tongue:

I have no argument. Makes fine business sense. Maybe we should run it by DanielRay first though. Ya' Think?

:spitting:

if the idea is to get the younger generation into DCI, especially High School students, I think a show from the 80's/70's would put them to sleep. while the 70's/80's were great and everything, I think the more modern performances and programs would hook better than an older show. Season Opener on screen seems like a good idea...unless your actually with the corps performing. whoever thought it was a good idea to bring all the top 8 to TEXAS IN THE BEGINNING OF JUNE is not smart at all. stick with the showing of the previous years finals for the sake of the performers health and so the staff's of each corps aren't trying to through together there show just to have something in early June.