Revamped Classic Countdown

I have no argument. Makes fine business sense. Maybe we should run it by DanielRay first though. Ya' Think?

:spitting:

Cheap shots taken and hidden within an innocuous thread... Sweet and noted...

Edited by Big Bad Bari

whoever thought it was a good idea to bring all the top 8 to TEXAS IN THE BEGINNING OF JUNE is not smart at all.

As opposed to bringing them all there for a week+ in July? Good good, man, it's not like they are having the show in Chernobyl or Jalalabad, it's just Texas. Drink some water and you're good to go.

The problem with the sectional features is that the camera always seemed to be focused somewhere else on the field instead of where the real action was. Visual elements were supposed to augment drum solos, but you don't see the drum line for more than 30% of the time.

As far as bad camera shots go, I only need to present one example: end of 1812 for Regiment in 1984, and all we saw was that ###### bell!!!

Garry in Vegas

Dangit! Stop being all logical and stuff. GEEEEEZ..... :tongue:

As opposed to bringing them all there for a week+ in July? Good good, man, it's not like they are having the show in Chernobyl or Jalalabad, it's just Texas. Drink some water and you're good to go.

When they come in July, they have already been on tour for a month, aka, they have become accustomed to the rigors of tour, etc. coming straight from spring training to Texas is a drastic change.

if the idea is to get the younger generation into DCI, especially High School students, I think a show from the 80's/70's would put them to sleep. while the 70's/80's were great and everything, I think the more modern performances and programs would hook better than an older show. Season Opener on screen seems like a good idea...unless your actually with the corps performing. whoever thought it was a good idea to bring all the top 8 to TEXAS IN THE BEGINNING OF JUNE is not smart at all. stick with the showing of the previous years finals for the sake of the performers health and so the staff's of each corps aren't trying to through together there show just to have something in early June.

I thought getting the corps together in June was a great idea; it forced traditional late bloomer SCV to actually finish their show & get it taught by the season opener. By the way, interesting signature...what era did your instructors, director, volunteers and/or corps founders march?

When they come in July, they have already been on tour for a month, aka, they have become accustomed to the rigors of tour, etc. coming straight from spring training to Texas is a drastic change.

It's a pretty drastic change going from the NE to the deep south overnight too... it's a part of tour... and if the corps is doing things right, they will prepare the corps properly.

Cheap shots taken and hidden within an innocuous thread... Sweet and noted...

no cheap shot sorry. I just laughed at the comment. Anything I may have to say to the poster mentioned by Tom I'm pretty sure I've said directly to that poster

I thought getting the corps together in June was a great idea; it forced traditional late bloomer SCV to actually finish their show & get it taught by the season opener. By the way, interesting signature...what era did your instructors, director, volunteers and/or corps founders march?

I don't like pre-1989 DCI. theres nothing more to it. The actions of my staff, director, volunteers in present day are far more important than their drum corps resume.

It's a pretty drastic change going from the NE to the deep south overnight too... it's a part of tour... and if the corps is doing things right, they will prepare the corps properly.

You can't prepare a corps for 105 Texas heat when your corps spring training is 70-80 degrees...but back to the point of the thread, I says stick with the previous years shows. more time for the corps to prepare the programs and come up with more ways to entertain us. also It's cheaper for the top 8 corps and puts less stress on the admin.

You can't prepare a corps for 105 Texas heat when your corps spring training is 70-80 degrees...but back to the point of the thread, I says stick with the previous years shows. more time for the corps to prepare the programs and come up with more ways to entertain us. also It's cheaper for the top 8 corps and puts less stress on the admin.

Nah. When June 20th rolls around the top 8 have had plenty of time to prepare the programs. Showing the top 8 altogether in theaters at the beginning of the season is a great way to get fans hyped for the rest of the tour. Showing last year's shows? Not so much. Show the new stuff, even if it is ragged and incomplete.

Too hot in Texas? There is no "too hot" in drum corps. Tell your corpsmates not to be such shrinking violets. It's drum corps.

As for the classic countdown itself: It was a great idea. The first one was really something special, and the entire audience - young and old - enjoyed it. But it's not something that can be sustained year after year. Maybe they can use the original format every few years or so, but otherwise I'd stick with showing the newer stuff interspersed with highlights from the older shows.