The 2011 "Phone Books" are coming

For an audio-only recording (like a CD) you need a "mechanical license." For internet play, a "new media license" is needed. It seems that either DCI made the recordings available while they were in negotiations for that license, or it may have been granted initially and then denied/revoked. The rights holder has the right to do that whenever they so chose.

This whole issue is turning into a nightmare for DCI/WGI/marching bands. The talent and quality of instruments is at an all-time high, yet they may soon be left with nothing outside of the Public Domain or original compositions to play!

Carolina Crown's FULL SHOW (inc. the pre-show) "studio" (standstill) field recording from Finals week is still available for download at the Crown Store. I suggest you get it quick if you want it...

It's quite possible that rights for these may still be "pending", but DCI simply couldn't wait any longer before shipping their products. We know that sync rights for Madison were refused, but if Crown/Cavies performances are still being considered and they secure the necessary rights in the future, it may be possible to see the full shows restored to FN and/or for DCI to offer a one-disc deal that has the full performances. Perhaps Crown actually DID secure the necessary rights so that THEY can offer the performance for sale, but DCI has not yet secured them so that they cannot sell the Finals performance at the present time. Splitting hairs, yes but unfortunately that's life under the current laws.

My guess here is that FN performances for these two corps were pulled so that they could be re-edited to be in compliance with copyrights. I imagine they were allowed to exist on the network this far because they were in good faith negotiations with the copyright holders. Once those negotiations fell through for the CDs/DVDs/blu-rays, they had to adjust the FN recordings to get in compliance. I wouldn’t be surprised if you see the shows added back in an edited format in the near future.

Yeah, and them removing those videos from the fan network just so happened to coincide with the shipping of the blurays/dvds, etc. What a coincidence... :rolleyes:

Maybe the makers of the sword gave 'holding' broadcast rights but not 'impaling' broadcast rights?

:thumbup: LOL

Most of you will know my opinion on sync rights, some agree some don't.

At the risk of repeating myself.... If the sync issues are not sorted out by DCI and her member corps then it's only a matter of time before the majority of one or more corps performances are blacked out on the DVD/Bluray.

If this issue isn't addressed soon then the question switches from if to when.

My opinion for what it's worth... DCI are not stupid and I suspect they're already working on how to address this particular issue. I think next season's music selections will be very telling from this point of view.