The 2011 "Phone Books" are coming

Anyway... how is the audio this year. In an article they talked about switching up mic placement. Just wondering how that actually turned out.

After listening to the CD tracks I would say the recordings are not that much better than the APD's. :thumbdown: So if you already have the APD's I wouldnt buy the CD's.

• Like 1

the entire 2011 Season of performances of Crown and Cavies no longer exist on the FN ....

My guess here is that FN performances for these two corps were pulled so that they could be re-edited to be in compliance with copyrights. I imagine they were allowed to exist on the network this far because they were in good faith negotiations with the copyright holders. Once those negotiations fell through for the CDs/DVDs/blu-rays, they had to adjust the FN recordings to get in compliance. I wouldn’t be surprised if you see the shows added back in an edited format in the near future.

After listening to the CD tracks I would say the recordings are not that much better than the APD's. :thumbdown: So if you already have the APD's I wouldnt buy the CD's.

I ripped the DVD audio to mp3 format (320) and it sounds a bit top heavy, but it will do. Saving $29 sipping cheap, maybe but oh well.

• Like 1

My guess here is that FN performances for these two corps were pulled so that they could be re-edited to be in compliance with copyrights. I imagine they were allowed to exist on the network this far because they were in good faith negotiations with the copyright holders. Once those negotiations fell through for the CDs/DVDs/blu-rays, they had to adjust the FN recordings to get in compliance. I wouldn’t be surprised if you see the shows added back in an edited format in the near future.

The entire season for both corps is no longer available .... with no explanation other than "copyright restrictions" ....

The entire season for both corps is no longer available .... with no explanation other than "copyright restrictions" ....

Just because it's gone today doesn't mean it'll be gone tomorrow. :smile:

I think the problem is that they don't have any of the rights to put those two on the CD's. Sync rights is only for the DVDs/Blu-ray. And I forget what the rights are called just for audio only.

I saw someone lurking who might be able to answer some questions though. devil.gif

For an audio-only recording (like a CD) you need a "mechanical license." For internet play, a "new media license" is needed. It seems that either DCI made the recordings available while they were in negotiations for that license, or it may have been granted initially and then denied/revoked. The rights holder has the right to do that whenever they so chose.

This whole issue is turning into a nightmare for DCI/WGI/marching bands. The talent and quality of instruments is at an all-time high, yet they may soon be left with nothing outside of the Public Domain or original compositions to play!

Carolina Crown's FULL SHOW (inc. the pre-show) "studio" (standstill) field recording from Finals week is still available for download at the Crown Store. I suggest you get it quick if you want it...

• Like 2

is Crown missing stuff from the DCI CDs but not missing anything from the product available sale on their own website?

Guess they are just more daring then DCI is.

• Like 1

Kind of random, but PR didn't have a guitar in their pit, did they? It sure sounds like it on the CD...

Gottcha: (I think) you're saying designers should do what they want, but do so in a timely manner to ensure that all copyright clearances are achieved, even if that means two years out (kinda like what Blue Devils did with Godfather show in 2006 when they'd been wanting to do it for years but didn't until they got permission to use everything they wanted)

yes, this is what I meant hahaha.