DCI Vlog

35 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested?

• Sure!
    • Nope.

So I'm finally beginning my DCI adventure this December with the Cavaliers and I've been thinking about doing a DCI vlog and uploading it to YouTube *while on tour*. I was wondering what you guys think about this and if you would be interested in viewing it. If not, then I won't bother.

Be very careful with how you write things. You maintain that you never claimed you were already a member of the Cavaliers. Well young man, the bold above (from your first post) not only implies you have already made the corps but flat out states you will be touring with them.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

Be very careful with how you write things. You maintain that you never claimed you were already a member of the Cavaliers. Well young man, the bold above (from your first post) not only implies you have already made the corps but flat out states you will be touring with them.

Read my post on page 2, I already addressed this.

• Like 2

Yes, I explained this in my clarification post.

There was no need for a clarification post in the first place. You're approaching this situation the wrong way and it's not reflecting well on your ability to be a corps member.

• Like 3

In this day of people posting their every move on Twitter, Facebook and goodness knows what else will appear before summer 2012, it's no wonder that this question was asked. It was asked innocently with a level of maturity typical of people in their late teens and early 20's who are living in this time of electronic over-sharing. (and I'm guilty of that from time to time myself) Let's not skewer the author for that. Us oldies have all lived through our own transformations from adolescence to adulthood, and I'm sure we all said and did a few things that demonstrated a lack of experience. And like many people in his situation it seems the OP would like to try to rein in the negative perceptions. It's natural. Cut him some slack.

To answer the OP: honestly, I wouldn't have much interest in such a thing. I find personal diaries/blogs about tour too individual-focused for my tastes. Also, I would hope that once on tour you would be far more invested in the group dynamic and not so interested in your personal experience. Lastly, many of the things that you experience on tour can't be put in their proper perspective until long after tour is over. Sometimes it takes months for the whole thing to sink in. (maybe years for some)

However, I am always interested to read the official blogs and videos from various corps, both in the summer and during the off-season. Cadets have had some really inventive ones recently that give me a much needed off-season chuckle.

• Like 2

If I recall...and I am by no means an expert, but I didn't think the cavies allowed you to bring any sort of electronics on tour (or maybe that was just cell phones)...something I had heard once...perhaps you might want to check that out as well.

...To answer the OP: honestly, I wouldn't have much interest in such a thing. I find personal diaries/blogs about tour too individual-focused for my tastes. Also, I would hope that once on tour you would be far more invested in the group dynamic and not so interested in your personal experience. Lastly, many of the things that you experience on tour can't be put in their proper perspective until long after tour is over. Sometimes it takes months for the whole thing to sink in. (maybe years for some)...

... and another reason why you shouldn't.

You'll have a different experience. Different from other rookies. Different from other vets. They'll be living it. You'll just be recording it.

Think about all the conversations you won't be participating in. Think of the conversations that won't take place at all because someone is recording. When the others are having fun spontaneously, you'll be reaching for the camera. While they're communicating silently, you'll be looking for a better angle or better light.

I feel sorry for the people who feel compelled to record all the events of their lives. They're working when they could be enjoying. You should be enjoying too.

HH

• Like 3

There was no need for clarification. Simply a "thank you" and internalization of the advice given. That's it. End of story.

Maybe a little more blunt than I'd have phrased it, but I think I'm going to agree with this.

To the topic creator: Best wishes on your audition! Enjoy yourself, perform well, learn lots. This is all a process, and those who walk in to it convinced, even subconsciously, that they know what they're in for are only limiting themselves. Your attitude will play a large part in determining your experience.

... and another reason why you shouldn't.

You'll have a different experience. Different from other rookies. Different from other vets. They'll be living it. You'll just be recording it.

Think about all the conversations you won't be participating in. Think of the conversations that won't take place at all because someone is recording. When the others are having fun spontaneously, you'll be reaching for the camera. While they're communicating silently, you'll be looking for a better angle or better light.

I feel sorry for the people who feel compelled to record all the events of their lives. They're working when they could be enjoying. You should be enjoying too.

HH

Sure, that might be certainly be the case depending on how time consuming it was...or he could just take say, 15 minutes a week for an update, which would hardly be a summer buzz killer.

Edited by troon8
  • Like 1