Too old to start DCI?

Hi, so I'm not sure if this is the right place for this (or if it's a duplicate of any sort) so please delete/move if necessary.

Am I too old to start marching DCI? I just turned 19 and I marched all 4 years of high school (alto sax) and I'm currently a college sophomore. My college doesn't have a marching band and I'm really missing the activity. I was thinking of trying out for the Raiders, but I don't know if it's common to start DCI so close to the maximum age. Should I just do DCA instead?

I'm also thinking about Jersey Surf, but I'm not sure if World Class would be out of reach for me since I've never marched (or really played) brass before.

Thoughts on what I should do? I'd appreciate any and all advice.

Edited by raravis

You've got several years left. Both Raiders and Surf would be fantastic experiences.

Thanks for responding :)

Can you tell me a little about the differences between them?

I mean obviously they're two different corps. I guess I mean, because Raiders is Open Class and Surf is World Class does the intensity of the experience/practices differ?

I started marching corps when I was 20, granted I had the extra year being born in June, but still, it isn't too late.

I started when I was 18. And then started again when I was 38! :cool:

You're absolutely NOT too old. MANY people are rook-outs (marching their final year of eligibility). I was a rook out in Blue Devils (and BOY, was that a steep learning curve, going from old-school marching band squads of 4 and always facing the direction of march o drum corps style with slides and back steps!).

If I could do it, you can....so long as you don't turn 22 until after the first day of the season, you're good.

Like John said, you've got a few years left.

It doesn't matter where you march....just MARCH!

(but try to end up at BD....not that I'm biased or anything.... :bluedevil: )

Edited by 84BDsop

the intensity of the experience/practices differ?

Not. A. Bit.

The only real difference between an Open and a World class corps is the size...you'll still put in the same looooooong days in Raiders as you would in Surf.

In fact, you're more likely to work a little harder in a smaller corps simply due to the smaller amount of people to pull off the show...you can't hide amongst the herd like you can in a big line. EVERYone has to pull their weight.

Go for it. I know a few rook-outs. You're not old at all. The PT varies depending on corps, but as you condition for it yourself, just see how long you can run. Something you can do is run a few laps than jump on your horn while you're out of breath. Simulates what you'll feel like in a show. Push ups are always good too since they seem to be the universal punishment (along with running). Not sure how long Surf or Raiders tour but it's likely to be shorter with Raiders for financial reasons. Most OC corps don't travel as much or as far. I see no reason for you not to try on both.

As a rook-out I have a few suggestions:

1) Do it. It will literally be the best decision you will ever make - no matter where you go.

2) You get out what you put in. If you push yourself you will surprise yourself on what you can do.

3) Start conditioning now - getting yourself to the gym and start getting your cardiovascular health better. This saved my body, before going to outside rehearsals I had lost 25 pounds..

4) Get a group of friends to go with you. Save on gas and have a fun time traveling. Some of my best memories were from the road trips to camps and rehearsals.

Best of luck - and keep us updated :)