Favorite Glassmen Show Ever

Favorite Glassmen show ever?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Glassmen show?

• 1993- "A Voyage Through Imagination" Overture, Morning Sun On The Sails, The Lion's Breath, The North Wind, Sailing
    • 1994- "Days of Future Past" Dawn, Another Morning, Peak Hour, Tuesday Afternoon, Night In White Satin
    • 1995- "A Joyful Celebration" Little Fugue in G Minor, Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring, Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee, A Mighty Fortress
    • 1997- "The Age of Gold: The Music of Georges Bizet" Scene And Variations, Changing Of The Guard (from Carmen), Intermezzo: The Mountain Pass, Farandole
    • 1998- "Dreams of Gold: The Music of Alexander Borodin" Asia Fantasia, Prince Igor Overture, Notturno (from String Quartet No. 2 in D Major), Kismet Suite, Polovetsian Dances (From Prince Igor)
    • 1999- "Empire of Gold: The Music of Zoltan Kodaly" Symphony No. 1, Variations On A Hungarian Folksong, Entrance Of The Emperor And His Court (from Hary Janos Suite)
    • 2000- "Music of George Gershwin" Piano Concerto in F
    • 2001- "IMAGO" Invocation To The Powerful Saints (from Panambi), Pampeana No. 3: Impetuosamente, Conertino for Oboe and Strings, Dance Of The Warriors (from Panambi), Pavana (from Tres Versiones Sinfónica)
    • 2002- "Odyssey" Javelin, Milennium Symphony
    • 2004- "Voice of One" Prologue Serenade for Orchestra, The Saint (from Seraphic Dialogues), The Cave, Finale For Martha
    • 2005- "A New World" New World Symphony
    • 2006- "Beethoven: Mastery and Madness" Selections from Symphonies 1-8, Moonlight Sonata, Diabelli Variations, Ode To Joy (from Symphony No. 9)
    • 2007- "Gitano" Gitano Espagnol, Alborada, La Noche, Danzas, Fandango
    • 2008- "Kar-ne-vel" Carnival is Over, The Breakfast Machine from Big Top Pee Wee, Overture, Watermark, Beirut Taxi
    • 2009- "The Journey of ONE" The Multiples of One, You Are Wherever Your Thoughts Are, The Heart Asks Pleasure First (from The Piano), Tristan and Yvaine (from Stardust), The Multiples of One, Joy (from Awakening), One
    • 2010- "The Prayer Cycle" Mercy (from The Prayer Cycle), Primacy of Number (from Naqoyqatsi), Terminal Hope (from The Prayer Cycle), Epiphanies (from Fanfare & Chorales), We're All Jungle Creatures (from The Lion in Winter)

I have only included the years in which they made finals. Some great shows out there.

Love the Latin groove section in the 2005 show, and 1997 when they finally became a real "Big Boy" corps.

1997 was the first time Glassmen really caught my attention. Some great stuff on the field that year...Farandole was my favorite.

I did choose 1999 as my favorite Glassmen finals show. For some reason Glassmen and Kodaly just go together. I can't explain it really. The music, the percussion, the guard, the whole visual. Just amazing. What a great brass sound that year! I always thought that they should do another Kodaly show. That would surely bring the house down, IMO.

• Like 1

2007. That guard was fantastic!

• Like 1

how is Gitano competing with ANYTHING from 1997-2001???

I liked 07 but man there were some incredible shows in that late 90's run!

the person has an opinion.

also, GOLD. everything GOLD. Midas touch.

ed: I'm stupid and don't read back my own statements before posting.

Edited by hornandsoccer

I voted for 99 - the Kodaly show was stunningly good...just GREAT drum corps.

I also encourage folks to look at and listen to the Dan Acheson finalist years...you can hear the good teaching in the brass, though it's still obvious they had a lot of high school and young college players.

I had to go with the one I was in but if I wasnt in one IMAGO would be my vote.

This. IMAGO is the reason I marched drum corps.

also, GOLD. everything GOLD. Midas touch.

Also this. :cool:

Edited by PunkRawkBandGeek

I voted for 1999, followed closely by 1998 and 2001. I also enjoyed parts of 2000 and 2002 a lot!

I also want to mention 2011. They didn't make finals, but I loved the show design (brass, percussion, visual, guard, everything!) and the performers really sold it with a lot of emotion. I can't wait to see what the Gmen have in their future.

• Like 2