Restructuring the DCI BOD

Shirley, you jest.

You're going to try to convince me that more of the community knows more about WGI than they do DCI?

pretty close....maybe that's why USSBA has dabbled in indoor on a local level...starting out similarly to how they did it in the fall.

for the units that go to Dayton every year, millions follow what happens for finals there....they see many of those groups in their local circuits. WGI is actually easier for the average fan to see, because there are more shows geared to local areas.

right now, WGI is considered hipper and more progressive as well as more inclusive than DCI. It takes a lot less to start an independent guard than it does a drum corps

you're right...earlier in this thread you said DCI needs more tailgating activities.....so other than watching the activity itself, people can get drunk and watch it.

do you even remember what you type?

Nothing wrong with drinking beer and watching drum corps. I just think NASCAR is silly.

My name is Daniel, and I approve this message.

right now, WGI is considered hipper and more progressive as well as more inclusive than DCI. It takes a lot less to start an independent guard than it does a drum corps

Yep.

Used to be that drum corps was the innovator and marching band and winter programs simply followed. Now WGI is where the innovation is at... then marching band... drum corps just executes it on a higher level. You literally have corps doing stuff field tested in winter programs or marching band before you see it in the summer.

I don't know that this is necessarily a bad thing, as the current audience for winter programs and marching band is much narrower and the financial dynamics are much different... so, maybe this is how it should be.

There is more money to be made than from paid ticket holders if you do it right. I've stressed this before... lower prices... fiłłłłłłłłłłłłłłłłłł the stands.... pack it with kids... there is cash there if you know how to milk the cow.

true...yet DCI has been trying for 10+ years to kid DCI up to the max.

and yet it hasn't taken off.

remember everyone thinks kids have all this money...well money comes from mom and dad. and these days mom and dad dont have as much as they used to have.

you can run shows in super stadiums all summer long, but the kids arent coming in droves. they have been marketing to bands for over a decade, yet many kids in programs have no clue what DCI is because their director hates it. oh and schools are cuting arts programs left and right.

to build a business properly, you have to RETAIN and add. DCI has done neither well, but is starting to do a little bit better at retaining. You need that base to stick because other wise, you find yourself in a never ending 4 year cycle of trying to attract kids.

Nothing wrong with drinking beer and watching drum corps. I just think NASCAR is silly.

My name is Daniel, and I approve this message.

great, you think it's silly.

yet it's audience dwarfs DCI. So who's silly?

and as I said before,parents WILL be hesitant to allow kids to be at booze soaked events. Nascar doesnt havethe youth marketing you claim DCI will need.

Yep.

Used to be that drum corps was the innovator and marching band and winter programs simply followed. Now WGI is where the innovation is at... then marching band... drum corps just executes it on a higher level. You literally have corps doing stuff field tested in winter programs or marching band before you see it in the summer.

I don't know that this is necessarily a bad thing, as the current audience for winter programs and marching band is much narrower and the financial dynamics are much different... so, maybe this is how it should be.

I'll agree on WGIO being the innovator. However, far too many marching bands just try to copy what drum corps does for that to be considered the innovator. if anything it's the guinea pig for some of the top level bands

true...yet DCI has been trying for 10+ years to kid DCI up to the max.

and yet it hasn't taken off.

remember everyone thinks kids have all this money...well money comes from mom and dad. and these days mom and dad dont have as much as they used to have.

you can run shows in super stadiums all summer long, but the kids arent coming in droves. they have been marketing to bands for over a decade, yet many kids in programs have no clue what DCI is because their director hates it. oh and schools are cuting arts programs left and right.

I'm just telling you what brands will pay for. Youth are more valuable. Older people, even though they have money, they tend to have well established preferences and habits, and are also not as persuaded by such types of marketing. Different approaches work better for older segments.

to build a business properly, you have to RETAIN and add. DCI has done neither well, but is starting to do a little bit better at retaining. You need that base to stick because other wise, you find yourself in a never ending 4 year cycle of trying to attract kids.

They need to hire industry people to build up their sponsorship... pull guys directly away from other groups who do this... hired guys with no clue what drum corps is that can communicate the opportunity to those with budgets who also have no clue what it is either. Give them large incentives for success.

great, you think it's silly.

yet it's audience dwarfs DCI. So who's silly?

and as I said before,parents WILL be hesitant to allow kids to be at booze soaked events. Nascar doesnt havethe youth marketing you claim DCI will need.

There is the nonsensical puritanical restrictive thinking in America. Beer does not mean booze soaked. In a lot of countries, beer isn't even considered to be alcohol and has no restriction on it at all. 12 year old kids could go to a kiosk and buy it... but they don't... because they don't really like it. Make it forbidden or make it out to be a big deal and you'll have 12 year old kids clamoring to get it.

There is such a thing as responsible drinking in public places.

Edited by danielray
  • Like 2

There is the nonsensical puritanical restrictive thinking in America. Beer does not mean booze soaked. In a lot of countries, beer isn't even considered to be alcohol and has no restriction on it at all. 12 year old kids could go to a kiosk and buy it... but they don't... because they don't really like it. Make it forbidden or make it out to be a big deal and you'll have 12 year old kids clamoring to get it.

There is such a thing as responsible drinking in public places.

hmmmm im trying to remember if we were able to get a beeer at LOS..i know..we could at Giants stadium and some other places...hmmmm cant remember

I'm just telling you what brands will pay for. Youth are more valuable. Older people, even though they have money, they tend to have well established preferences and habits, and are also not as persuaded by such types of marketing. Different approaches work better for older segments.

They need to hire industry people to build up their sponsorship... pull guys directly away from other groups who do this... hired guys with no clue what drum corps is that can communicate the opportunity to those with budgets who also have no clue what it is either. Give them large incentives for success.

you're right they do have established preferences......and you have to include themsomewhat in the thought process, or DCI is doomed. You will not et enough kids flocking for several years to make up for the loss of the older folks.

andyou do realize a lit of those "older folks" are in their 20s and 30s.