Restructuring the DCI BOD

Neither of those matter.... it is only the business plan that matters.

Why are you even arguing this?

Missions matter. Period.

If an organization wants their mission to not matter, they will make it as vague as the examples you cite.

And besides, is there anything in DCI's mission statement that you object to? I honestly expect your answer to be "no". So why fuss?

Why are you [danielray] even arguing this?

Missions matter. Period.

If an organization wants their mission to not matter, they will make it as vague as the examples you cite.

And besides, is there anything in DCI's mission statement that you [danielray] object to? I honestly expect your answer to be "no". So why fuss?

The D-Ray obviously objects to the statement concerning cooperative fraternity of its member corps; otherwise he would not have proposed elimination of those member corps from 18th placement on down; same would hold true for Hop/Gibbs in their G7 proposal.

Edited by Stu

The D-Ray obviously objects to the statement concerning cooperative fraternity of its member corps; otherwise he would not have proposed elimination of those member corps from 18th placement on down; same would hold true for Hop/Gibbs in their G7 proposal.

No....in their view, whatever number of corps remain as members (i.e. 7 in the G7 proposal) would still be a cooperative fraternity.

Ahhh, but a business plan must not conflict with the mission or stated purpose; especially in the world of non-profit. Example: If a 501c3 corporation Mission claims to be helping inner city youth, but the business plan not only refrains from helping inner city youth but actually takes resources away from them, the corporation should have their 501c3 designation yanked by the IRS. And this should be the case with DCI if their business plan (ie G7 or the D-Ray plan) goes against their own DCI mission or statement of purpose (ie the fraternal co-op agreement).

Why are you even arguing this?

Missions matter. Period.

And besides, is there anything in DCI's mission statement that you object to? I honestly expect your answer to be "no". So why fuss?

Not so long ago, I set up a non-profit corporation in the US and also overseas. Neither have mission statements. It is not obligatory and I don't see the point of it.

The only designation of purpose is the specific activity code classification with tax authorities, but it is extremely vague.

Once again, an organization's mission statement is non-binding and is not connected with their tax status. What is connected with their tax status is actually showing where the money went each year in order to remain in good standing.

So, it isn't what they say, but what they do... and how it relates to their registered purpose based on activity code.

For more info on this, check out the IRS publication Applying for501( c)(3) Tax-Exempt Status. (<<pdf) Nowhere in there is there any mention of a mission statement, as it not a requirement for application or renewal.

Anyway, it is cool for individual corps to be purpose driven... and have their mission statements, etc., but DCI should exist simply do killer drum corps shows and return as much cash as possible to corps while balancing sustainability and growth. It doesn't need some fluffy statement, because what it should be focused on shouldn't be fluffy... just nuts and bolts stuff.

No....in their view, whatever number of corps remain as members (i.e. 7 in the G7 proposal) would still be a cooperative fraternity.

But, the co-op officially contains more than seven in it's current state; and an elite few deciding to throw out many others against their will, which are currently part of that co-op, by definition, goes against said co-op agreement.

It is not obligatory and I don't see the point of it.

Your arrogance is astounding. "I don't see the point in the mission, so I will disregard it; or I do not see the point in the Constitution so I will disregard it...". It does not matter if you do not see the point of a mission statement or a constitution. It is up to the organization, not you, on whether or not they have one; and it is up to the organization to follow their own statement or constitution.

Your arrogance is astounding. "I don't see the point in the mission, so I will disregard it; or I do not see the point in the Constitution so I will disregard it...". It does not matter if you do not see the point of a mission statement or a constitution. It is up to the organization, not you, on whether or not they have one; and it is up to the organization to follow their own statement or constitution.

I was stating my opinion. That's all.

To your other point, the constitution is not law, but simply a set of principles upon which law is based. I seriously don't get this whole constitution worship thing... there is little that is highly unique about it. It certainly has been an influential document, sure, but I woud say documents like the Magna Carta, the Twelve Tables or the Code of Hammurabi are probably of greater significance in the context of human development.

I was stating my opinion. That's all.

But you only seem to care about your own opinion; ergo the arrogance.

To your other point, the constitution is not law, but simply a set of principles upon which law is based. I seriously don't get this whole constitution worship thing... there is little that is highly unique about it. It certainly has been an influential document, sure, but I woud say documents like the Magna Carta, the Twelve Tables or the Code of Hammurabi are probably of greater significance in the context of human development.

The condescending tone of our constitution being, "...simply a set of principles..." and , "...seriously don't get this whole constitution worship thing..." says volumes as to why you would not care about the United States congress creating laws which would conflict with that document. It also shows as to why you have no problems whatsoever if a few DCI elite were to completely disregard the DCI founding documents and the current DCI mission or statement of purpose for their own gain. To you, those with the power, those with the money, can do what they want, when they want, and how they want by creating their own rules irrespective of the constitution or other foundational documents.

Edited by Stu

The condescending tone of our constitution being, "...simply a set of principles..." and , "...seriously don't get this whole constitution worship thing..." says volumes as to why you would not care about the United States congress creating laws which would conflict with that document.

Not