What Did You Put Up With?

Music, in general, was and always will be multi-cultural. Look at the music of Motown...it wasn't just "black" music, it was our music. The People.

Our corps had ONE African American and he was the nicest young man and we never thought of him as black...only as a Royal Coachmen, just like the rest of us!

I can remember a black contra player, a few hispanic guys, and Jan Uchida, who was asian and was the world's coolest guard captian, in our corps. We all got along just fine, aside from the occasional stuff any close group is going to have. I don't recall any waitress incidents or anything like that, either, but we did not go into the south much.

Edited by Wort

When I receive my first bugle (a very-used contrabass) it hadn't been cleaned. It stunk and tasted like a stew containing cigarette smoke and all the flotsam that accumulates inside the tubing after as hard season. After a week of playing it nightly I brought it home, disassembled what I could including electrical taped joints and poured boiling water thru it for hours.

When I receive my first bugle (a very-used contrabass) it hadn't been cleaned. It stunk and tasted like a stew containing cigarette smoke and all the flotsam that accumulates inside the tubing after as hard season. After a week of playing it nightly I brought it home, disassembled what I could including electrical taped joints and poured boiling water thru it for hours.

We used to shower with our contrabasses. Suckers are heavy when they are full of water.

We used to shower with our contrabasses. Suckers are heavy when they are full of water.

Oh that still happens weekly on tour.

We were fed in my version of BITD.

- Breakfast every day: One styrofoam cup of cereal

- Lunch, provided only when rehearsing on the road, never when travelling: Two bread (wonder), one meat (bologna), one cheese (american processed cheese food product), possibly lettuce. No limit on mustard.

- Dinner: I guess we were deprived because the corps never fed us dinner.

Later on I moved to another corps, that had a food truck, and it was a miracle.

I KNEW IT! THEY ALWAYS SAID THAT SANTA CLARA USED THE TROOPER TOURING MODEL! (except I remember our cereal was in a paper cup) and one night we'd get KFC for dinner and another Gail would cook his amazing spaghetti.

I KNEW IT! THEY ALWAYS SAID THAT SANTA CLARA USED THE TROOPER TOURING MODEL! (except I remember our cereal was in a paper cup) and one night we'd get KFC for dinner and another Gail would cook his amazing spaghetti.

Don't know why I remember this...

Breakfast: Lrg Cup of cereal Lrg Cup of milk (to pour on cereal and/or drink) . 2 pieces of toast. Lrg cup of O.J. PB&J or butter for toast.

Lunch: 2 Sandwiches. Bologna and Cheese or Tuna fish (Gails secret recipe and I know the secret!)and PB&J. Napkin full of potato chips. 2 to 4 cookies. Cup of milk.

Dinner: Invade local town restaurants, except once in a while we'd get a KFC meal or Gails Spaghetti like Tom says above, along with PB&J sandwiches with dinner and for a snack.

To this day, I can't choke down PB&Js without gagging.

Don't know why I remember this...

Breakfast: Lrg Cup of cereal Lrg Cup of milk (to pour on cereal and/or drink) . 2 pieces of toast. Lrg cup of O.J. PB&J or butter for toast.

Lunch: 2 Sandwiches. Bologna and Cheese or Tuna fish (Gails secret recipe and I know the secret!)and PB&J. Napkin full of potato chips. 2 to 4 cookies. Cup of milk.

Dinner: Invade local town restaurants, except once in a while we'd get a KFC meal or Gails Spaghetti like Tom says above, along with PB&J sandwiches with dinner and for a snack.

To this day, I can't choke down PB&Js without gagging.

You got cookies in Bus 2?

We made Burger King and McDonalds what they are today.

1 to 4 buses pulling in the parking lot. I loved reading lips of the workers..." Oh SH%T!"

Some of us would walk through the drive-through to beat the lines inside.

You got cookies in Bus 2?

No, I always rode Bus 3, "Charlotte the Harlotte". And yes, we always had cookies! Yum...

I remember that smell - we used to say it smelled like "The Post" (American Legion Illiana Post 220, our sponsor & headquarters. I often wonder what equipment is still in the attic. When I was there, they had a complete set of 1-piston horns up there...)