Restructuring Classes

so you want a DCI event, an event catering to "youth" and marketing to band kids galore, to adveritse tailgating and events at bars? Really??

Emphasis does need to be on loading up as many band kids as possible... getting families to consider it as vacation spot in order to get younger kids interested.

I see nothing wrong with kids and tailgating or events at bars.

want a vacation option? Stop going to the same city for 10 years in a row.

I'm all for that one.

I'm just thinking about how other large shows could be considered as something of a destination, instead of finals.

Emphasis does need to be on loading up as many band kids as possible... getting families to consider it as vacation spot in order to get younger kids interested.

I see nothing wrong with kids and tailgating or events at bars.

I'm all for that one.

I'm just thinking about how other large shows could be considered as something of a destination, instead of finals.

funny. There's a thread in here about Allentown....you read it, and fans talk about it like a destination.

Busloads of kids driving by parking lots full of tailgaters is, IMO, sending the wrong message. You want parents to let their kids do drum corps right?

"hey mom, as we pulled into the show, we saw all these older folks drinking!"

great way to entice parents to let their kids march

• Like 1

funny. There's a thread in here about Allentown....you read it, and fans talk about it like a destination.

Busloads of kids driving by parking lots full of tailgaters is, IMO, sending the wrong message. You want parents to let their kids do drum corps right?

Tailgating is only drinking? Barbecues are only drinking? Stuff for kids to do is only drinking?

Tailgating is only drinking? Barbecues are only drinking? Stuff for kids to do is only drinking?

Daniel....what do you think happens at tailgating? I mean really, are you that naive?

Daniel....what do you think happens at tailgating? I mean really, are you that naive?

I guess I have a completely different view. Keep in mind I live in a place where there is no real drinking age, families hang out together in pubs and bars... and kids grow up with infinitely more healthy attitudes towards alcohol.

In my view, all these restrictive approaches towards things do is cause youth to develop unhealthy attitudes. I see absolutely nothing wrong with youth being around adults (not on the other side of some petting zoo like perimeter... but interacting with their parents, guardians, relatives, etc.) who are responsibly enjoying a drink or two in the context of a larger social activity.

I guess I have a completely different view. Keep in mind I live in a place where there is no real drinking age, families hang out together in pubs and bars... and kids grow up with infinitely more healthy attitudes towards alcohol.

In my view, all these restrictive approaches towards things do is cause youth to develop unhealthy attitudes. I see absolutely nothing wrong with youth being around adults (not on the other side of some petting zoo like perimeter... but interacting with their parents, guardians, relatives, etc.) who are responsibly enjoying a drink or two in the context of a larger social activity.

Well, I hate to break it to you but DCI tours in AMERICA. :tongue:

and BD beat Crown by 2.5 points at the end. 2.5 points in the 95+ range is a huge difference; IMO not close.

Coincidentally, 2.5 (2.55 to be exact) was the one-day swing in point spread between BD and Crown in the first two contests of 2011. I'd say that qualifies as "close".

Allentown is a mutant east coast anomaly. There really is no logical explanation for it. I will say the audience demographics are the oldest of any show in the country... which really isn't such a good thing.

your view however is not shared here in the US, and things like that are quick to turn parents off.

True story, from 2001.

Early season show at Franklin Field in Philly. Several tailgating parties going on in the Penn Towers parking garage. My gang is up on the roof, and we're using the hibachi grilling some burgers, no one is having alcohol as my caravan had band students with us. Parents thought it was great we were doing this and brought extra for them.

3 cars down, another tailgating group has a keg, a grill, and they are bragging loudly about the lemon drops they are doing. Parent in our group says " I hope they aren't with a corps, I'd never send my kid there".

These were pretty liberal parents. An openly gay couple with a son. Something very uncommon in the North East in 2001.