Restructuring Classes

I'm not a big fan of just large donations, in the same way that venture capital groups are not a fan of just cutting checks. Money solves problems, but making sure that it is earmarked to solving the right ones at the right time in the right way is what matters.

There is a bit more effect to some discussions on this board than you may see. In fact, I think the offline discussions and subsequent ideas that guys working directly with corps come up with that sometimes were sparked from ideas kicked around here is what makes this place valuable. I don't feel I've wasted my time.

And... literally.

Point. Set. Match.

Forget DCI. If Daniel (or any "private investor") had that kind of money to put into the drum corps activity, they could start their own circuit, offer the corps more $$$ than DCI is providing them, and watch them all sign up.

For the same reasons that the G7 didn't act on this assumption...

(psst...I know you remember, like I do, all the reasons why they attempted to change DCI instead of just bolting to do their own thing.)

• Like 1

Bottom line, every corps should have a practical reality of being in at least the top 12 of their class (some might not make it some years, but it is a possibility).

The idea of a corps languishing for its whole life-cyycle at the bottom of the rankings is as anathema to me as is simply throwing them to the wolves knowing they'll suffer a slow death. Each corps up and down the placements has value and should be defended, I just have a hard time with it being the same corps year after year after year in the same relative positions.

Recognizing the lower-placing corps for their value is important and defendable, but this is also a competitive activity where there's a presumption of competitive growth (we require it of the marching members, don't we?).

Being admitted to WC should include the presumption that movement up the ranks is expected, even while we acknowledge the contributions to the activity to the lower-ranking corps.

That's quite an overreach there. I could break it down by asking who pays them the hundreds of millions, and why, until even you admit that they do more than just "watch" the competition. But I think we all realize that market competition is not a spectator sport.

You have seriously never heard of market analysts? It is a multi-billion dollar spectator sport.

Factually incorrect.

Once again, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. There are 3 chipset manufacturers for the industry (with one player having more than 60% of the market).... and everything that exists is essentially a combination of other unique hardware or software elements slapped on top of these guts.

Of these guys that are assembling unique combinations on top of these 3 core chipsets, there are only 10 globally that matter.... and only 7 of them are licensed by the FCC to sell in the US. Of these 7, the market is basically dominated by 4. There is a huge gap between these and the remainder.

Now who's speaking emphatically with limited knowledge? We've had lots of mergers in drum corps, and their success rate is no greater than that of the rest of the activity. To put it in terms you'd appreciate....none of the G7 are mergers.

I do know there have been several mergers in the past. There should be more now... which is why I noted there should be more... as in more than in the past, more than now.

In reality, people do watch what's happening in the 15th-21st place level in the drum corps activity.

You get too emotional.

- First of all, VK and Impulse are not "a waste". But don't take my word for it....more kids are marching as a result of these two programs vs. one program.

- Impulse and Velvet Knights have different identities, branding developed over a number of years. Funny how when you want two corps merged, you are so quick to repaint those attributes as "personal issues".

Several corps that are competing for the same attention, participants, resources, community support, cash... etc. in the same area... is an issue if they are not able to do this on a higher level.

Yes, it is a waste for these groups to be doing this separately, rather than combining resources to provide a higher quality experience for youth. The only reason why they are not is egos, personalities, past baggage, etc.

Should we merge Blue Devils and Vanguard, then? Why have two corps competing for resources so close together? Is that a "waste"? Somehow, I doubt you'll concur. Why should the "personal issues" that distinguish BD from SCV be treated any differently than those of Impulse/VK, or Cascades/Oregon Crusaders?

SCV and BD are relatively close, yet they have been able to independently perform on the highest level in the activity. Merging them will not provide a better experience for you, increase parity between corps or create greater competition.

Again, people need to step back and look things from a distance and stop getting so emotional about it. For an activity that is so focused on excellence, it is odd that there is so much defense of mediocrity sometimes... it is like it is celebrated.

Edited by danielray

Forget DCI. If Daniel (or any "private investor") had that kind of money to put into the drum corps activity, they could start their own circuit, offer the corps more $$ than DCI is providing them, and watch them all sign up.

There is considerable brand equity in DCI. DCI is not an issue... it just the current structure and mechanism of some activities needs a bit of a tune up.

Also, there is no point to start a new organization, as it is currently the corps that make up the organization... and without the top corps DCI would quickly fold (we see how the bluff was called).

DCI doesn't need any of your help because they are doing just fine as they are.

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 3

Wait. What the heck?

Recomputing... Didn't you just reply to my post to CQuinn?

Or is my system screwing up?

:blink:

He's my Dad and I'm on his laptop. Had a brain fart and didn't realize it was logged in as him. Anyway I went ahead and answered you via PM.

You have seriously never heard of market analysts? It is a multi-billion dollar spectator sport.

As I'm sure you're aware, it is not a spectator sport. Market analysts actually have to perform some work for somebody....they don't just "watch", they must then.... (wait for it) ....analyze.

Once again, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. There are 3 chipset manufacturers for the industry (with one player having more than 60% of the market).... and everything that exists is essentially a combination of other unique hardware or software elements slapped on top of these guts.

Of these guys that are assembling unique combinations on top of these 3 core chipsets, there are only 10 globally that matter.... and only 7 of them are licensed by the FCC to sell in the US. Of these 7, the market is basically dominated by 4. There is a huge gap between these and the remainder.

Oh, OK....one example. You were factually incorrect to suggest that all market competition boils down to five or less competitors. The cell phone industry certainly has more than five....I don't have time to pore through the over 100 I see to provide an exact count of how many remain unmerged. And why bother? Your response will be to contend that only 3 or 4 "matter", and my response will be that my service provider (not among those four) matters to me. Sounds familiar....

I do know there have been several mergers in the past. There should be more now... which is why I noted there should be more... as in more than in the past, more than now.

We need more corps, not less.

Several corps that are competing for the same attention, participants, resources, community support, cash... etc. in the same area... is an issue if they are not able to do this on a higher level.

On that higher level, all corps are competing for the same resources....especially when kids are circling the globe to join the corps of their choice.

SCV and BD are relatively close, yet they have been able to independently perform on the highest level in the activity.

As usual, if they place high enough, whatever they do is OK with you. Lower-placing corps....forget about it.

Merging them will not provide a better experience for you, increase parity between corps or create greater competition.

I'd say the same for the mergers you suggest....that's why they aren't happening. Mergers usually only occur when one of those conditions can really be met.