DCA Championships Question

Although many think DCA has an, "Alumni Division" and a "Mini Corps Division". (and I know they do Not.)

They (DCA) just sponsor the Two shows, at Championships). I would like to know if Junior Corps members(DCI, past and present) can enter the I & E Show/Contest, and/or The Mini Corps shows.

Edited by 2B or not 2B

I'm not an official DCA rep. but I believe the answer is yes. I know I have seen people represent junior corps in the past and as far as mini corps, most of those groups are not affiliated with a DCA corps.

The only requirement I recall was to be a member of an ALL-AGE corps, past or present.

Sayer is correct... being a past member of just a dci corps is insufficient... an alumni corps of any type yes... a non competing exhibition or parade corps that is all aged like Muchachos in NH yes... being part of a competing all aged mini corps yes....

but just to send in an application and say I marched in Santa Clara... ? No...

Of course Mr. Pronti would be the end expert on this...

I'd go with what Tom said, but my "sound bite" rule has been: "Any past/current member of a DCA (aka All Age/Sr) corps or current member of any Alumni-type corps."

I'd go with what Tom said, but my "sound bite" rule has been: "Any past/current member of a DCA (aka All Age/Sr) corps or current member of any Alumni-type corps."

Never argue with a drum corps scholar - from the official rules - I can only add that over the years it has been intended to "include" contestants more so than "exclude" them... but still - the difference between DCI and DCA must be maintained - if a DCI kid is so enamoured with I&E competition that he wishes further competition after DCI eligibility - I suggest strongly he find an all-aged corps to march with - of course now that I'm retired... this is not the official answer from dca...

"All contestants must be a member of a past or present All Age Competitive Corps or active member of an Alumni Corps."

Edited by TomPeashey

The only requirement I recall was to be a member of an ALL-AGE corps, past or present.

With the recent partnership between DCI and DCA, and the enormous amount of DCI alumni already participating in DCA, perhaps it's time to amend that rule.

With the recent partnership between DCI and DCA, and the enormous amount of DCI alumni already participating in DCA, perhaps it's time to amend that rule.

As one who worked both sides of the street for many, many years... and one who helped foster the working relationship that is now proving beneficial... I have to ask?

Why would you say that?

this is definitely one of those areas where viva la difference is critical...

while there are good points to both DCI and DCA I&E's... I don't see how encouraging a bunch of juniors could help DCA? Plus if you've been to both and I'm sure you have... the entire atmosphere is more rigid and formal at DCI (as well it should be for the youth involved) while DCA is a giant block party...

It's an enormously important link to the past - a period in time when entire corps met after the shows to party till the wee hours... comradery, friendship, growth of family ties... all things that are critical to all aged corps... now we are reduced by the times to one night a year instead of after every show... but many find that one night VERY important.

yeah, I know those things (comradery) happen in dci corps but I think it's now primarilly within your chosen corps and it's not nearly as important as it is in all aged corps...

• Like 1

Never argue with a drum corps scholar - from the official rules

Who the Hades are you talking about... :tongue:

Come to think of it, believe the info in my post originally came form Dick Pronti himself when I asked the one and only year I did Individuals... so $1 to him.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

As one who worked both sides of the street for many, many years... and one who helped foster the working relationship that is now proving beneficial... I have to ask?

Why would you say that?

Because, Tom, in the long run, who gives a crap what circuit the corps that you are an alumnus of competed in? Restricting I&E to alumni of only DCA corps is kinda of dated. Why not open it up to alumni of *any* corps, regardless of circuit or level?