Best Stadium to Perform in?

Mile High Stadium 1.0

Mile High Stadium 2.0

Camp Randall

Death Valley (LSU)

Mountaineer Field (non-DCI, performed there with the WVU band)

Franklin Field (total pain to park there as a fan though)

Sun Bowl Stadium

J Birney Crum

Salem Va

NightBeat (Charlotte) - can't think of the stadium name

Roy Stewart Stadium (Murray State)

Floyd Stadium (MTSU)

Joan C. Edwards Stadium

Kidd Brewer Stadium (App State, non-DCI, performed there in HS multiple times)

Edited by DaveG

I see a lot of love for whitewater. Both in the performing and the spectator side of things.

I have to say from a spectator standpoint I loved Camp Randal and a college near Huntington West Virginia right on the Ohio River. Is that UWV? Great acoustics and really good lighting.

Marshall (Joan C. Edwards stadium)

Great place to perform. WVU's stadium as well (Mountaineer Field) is excellent, would be nice if DCI went (came back?) to that one eventually. But the Joan is a great place for a show. Not a fan of Huntington itself but that stadium is great for a DCI event.

Edited by DaveG

For those of you that have marched in a corps before, what stadium(s) were your favorites to perform in? Why?

I only marched two years of World Class DCI, so my experience is pretty small compared to many others. I was fortunate enough to march in some great stadiums, like old Mile High, Whitewater, Camp Randall, Giant Stadium, and many others.

Two of my favorites were:

* Cooper Stadium in Columbus, OH. This stadium was actually pretty awful: the turf was old-school (i.e. carpet-esque), it was in a horrible neighborhood (it shared a parking lot fence with a graveyard), and it was actually a minor league baseball stadium so the front sideline ran at an angle from the seats.

BUT

I'm originally from C-bus, and I grew up performing in the stadium in HS, I had a lot of friends/family come to the show, and I saw my first drum corps show in that stadium. For that last reason alone it mean a ton to me to march in that stadium, and I cherish my memories of marching there. The show I was in was my age-out year, so I was a vet, way more comfortable about shows than my rookie year, and I could really enjoy the moment. My corps director was really cool and let me take the night off from retreat so I can hang out with friends/family. That was fun, but also weird, as it was the first time I saw my corps on a field w/out me with them. That kind of haunted me at the time, but it did get me prepped for the future

* Michigan City. It's a smallish stadium, but it's real classy. It had a wall of brick in front of the bottom of the bleachers so the sound was interesting from the field: we sounded really loud without the obnoxious echo sound of a dome or concrete wall. The fans were incredibly supportive of everyone, and for whatever reason I have good memories of the shows I marched there.

Obviously Whitewater, Camp Randall, the Rhode Island July 4th show, et el that everyone hypes on were great, and I have very fond memories of awesome fans. I also always loved performing on our home show because we were, of course, treated as gods.

But my REAL answer for "best stadium to perform in" is easy: any stadium with a good crowd is perfect. Sometimes that's a free standstill in a HS stadium for parents & bandos in a town that hosted you for a night or two. Sometimes it's a big regional. Sometimes it's an NFL stadium or a famous college stadium, and sometimes it's a podung rinky-dink HS stadium in the middle of nowhere. If the crowd is into it, cheers at the right moments and then gives it up at the final big push, it's the best stadium to perform in, regardless of location.

Reaching back into my memory banks....

1) Camp Randall - Great crowds, great acoustics, great tradition!

2) KC Arrowhead Stadium - More awesome acoustics!

3) Allentown - Most insane crowds every year!

4) UW Whitewater - Energetic crowds and intimate venue.

5) MATC Parking Lot (Just kidding) ;)

Best high school stadium: Berry Athletic Complex. No question.

College stadium: Stanford

Outdoor pro stadium: Mile High

Dome: Alamodome

For those of you that have marched in a corps before, what stadium(s) were your favorites to perform in? Why?

I always have and always will believe that Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, MO. (DCI Finals 1988 and 1989) is the absolute best and most ideal staduim for drum corps. The accoustics are the best I've ever heard and the facility itself, including the HUGE amount of parking lot space plentiful for both parking and warm-ups make this venue the #1 best choice for Drum Corps usage. I really wish DCI could get access to this stadium again. Even if not for finals, I would be satisfied with a regional and or a TOC show.

Edited by bmjfelts1988

These for many reasons already stated.

Denver - I got to march in both the old and new Mile High. The perfectness of the grass really was surreal to me my first time there.

Camp Randall - I know people with a driveway 4 blocks away so parking is good for me.

Allentown - pre-track was so much cooler.

Edited by ScottPREuph