What's with all the hate for BD

Who's we? I don't remember that. Sure some people wanted a new champion. Was that the dominant theme from that summer? Not in my quarter of the activity. I remember love for Phantom and Crown, happiness the Cavies had bounced back from the Billy Joel fiasco, endless complaining about Cadets, and mixed feelings towards BD.

But to say that the immense reaction at the end of Spartacus had something to do with BD is 100% petty. Scores, that's a different story. At the end of the show? That was all PR love. Not BD hate. Saying that, "Oh! It wasn't because they loved them! That happened because they hated us! Yeah! Now I feel vindicated!" is 100% pettiness. Complain about the reaction at retreat all you want. I can see your point in that context, though I think BD hate was still much, much, much less important than PR love.

This thread in a nutshell . . .

Marge: He doesn't hate you. He just feels insecure because you're

getting through life so easily, and it's been so difficult

for him.

Homer: Yeah, yeah, that's his problem, he's a nut! It's not about

me being lazy, it's about him being a crazy nut.

I personally know of no one, particularly any BD homer, that is interested in taking away anything from PR08's phenomenal moment...they earned it...it was orchestrated superbly...and they deserved the title. A few of us may have been shell shocked at the time back at the lot, but that was a storied moment for PR. But your suggestion that BD's involvement in that moment had nothing to do with the response is delusional.

• Like 1

Who's we? I don't remember that. Sure some people wanted a new champion. Was that the dominant theme from that summer? Not in my quarter of the activity. I remember love for Phantom and Crown, happiness the Cavies had bounced back from the Billy Joel fiasco, endless complaining about Cadets, and mixed feelings towards BD.

But to say that the immense reaction at the end of Spartacus had something to do with BD is 100% petty. Scores, that's a different story. At the end of the show? That was all PR love. Not BD hate. Saying that, "Oh! It wasn't because they loved them! That happened because they hated us! Yeah! Now I feel vindicated!" is 100% pettiness. Complain about the reaction at retreat all you want. I can see your point in that context, though I think BD hate was still much, much, much less important than PR love.

This thread in a nutshell . . .

Marge: He doesn't hate you. He just feels insecure because you're

getting through life so easily, and it's been so difficult

for him.

Homer: Yeah, yeah, that's his problem, he's a nut! It's not about

me being lazy, it's about him being a crazy nut.

were talking abot BD here and believe anything you want. No one is taking anything away from PR but to think reactions of not just a good show but that BD was under them would be dilusional also. Not sure as you say your end of what you consider the dominant part of the summer but it was if you were on tour and I would think as I can see with some others view of it there was at least different views of it..................................So to get off PR and back top BD...winners do tend to lose some fan base after a while...why this happens? who knows....more people maybe can relate to the underdog situation? People like to see someone come up and take down the m ighty?...maybe...none the less..its the curse of the perverbial winner.

• Like 1

G, I'm certain you know better than that. Perhaps the crowd response would have come at a different time if BD was announced in 3rd, but that 2nd place cheer was a straight up mix of response for a universally loved show AND ..........

... and nothing else. That reaction was a drum corps crowd realizing that Phantom finally had a championship of their own, after a tie in '96 and so many close second place finishes.

• Like 1

I personally know of no one, particularly any BD homer, that is interested in taking away anything from PR08's phenomenal moment...they earned it...it was orchestrated superbly...and they deserved the title. A few of us may have been shell shocked at the time back at the lot, but that was a storied moment for PR. But your suggestion that BD's involvement in that moment had nothing to do with the response is delusional.

It just strikes me as a little far-fetched to claim that the audience, rising to its feet as DM 2 lanced DM 1, was thinking not only "Yay Phantom!" but "Yes! BD IS GOING DOWN!!!". Now when we're talking about score announcements, sure, there were people that were happy to see BD lose. But that's not what I'm talking about. We're clear on this, right? I'm talking about the reaction at the end of the show itself.

Again, saying that the reaction to Spartacus was driven partly by some discontent with BD is petty. And it does take away from what Phantom did that night, because the greatest accomplishment of PR 08 was not the championship, but the connection with the audience. I've had more than one member of that corps tell me so.

• Like 1

<What was it about the BD show that made is less fan friendly than 27th? >

I think there was a definite air of 'playing not to lose' with 80 BD. It sounded great (better than 79 and way better than 81...), but it lacked spark. This is just my opinion, of course.

27, on the other hand...on fire! Especially at Allentown -

• Like 2

Absolutely true. The fact that they beat BD was only icing on the cake. Had Cavies or Crown been in second place the crowd response would have been just as big.

in Allentown, a week before, Phantom was on a different night than BD.

Phantom lit the crowd up. I mean that crowd became unglued.

had nothing to do with BD. BD went on the night before......and left the fans looking at each other absurdly

and again I will say ...it hasnt hurt them has it

on the sheets? no.

it has cost them fans and has cost them fans that will spend money on them.

the show was great....universallove.hmmmmmmm I dont know if I would say that BUT I think if honky Donk drum corps came around that year with potential to beat BD the fans would have supported anyone with any show.......I heard many many fans as well as corps say..who cares who it is as long as BD loses..... :blink:

and I've heard anyone but Garfield/Cadets, anyone but Cavies etc.

it did what it was intended to do..it was flashy..fan friendly I guess ( appealed to the older drum corps crowd and potentially was going as it did Beat BD...people would have loved anyone who cluld have beat BD no matter what...I know this for sure..Even other corps

it appealed to EVERYONE.

( yes i used caps on purpose).

fans of all ages loved that show. All fans...no. A huge majority? yes.

Maybe so.

But does wanting someone other than BD to win the championship automatically equal "hate for BD"?

it does for honks