To College Music Majors

This isn't my scoring system or part II(b). For I am still waiting for some more DVD's from the library to get examples to associate with the system.

I would like to challenge, maybe request is a better word, that every music major in a Drum Corps go to their music dean and ask them about starting a university drum corps using all the practice facilities, music libaries, professors, bflat instruments, practice rooms,auditoriums,maybe even indoor football field facilities. etc. God...all you preppies have right in your university and you still take DC spots from high schoolers.

If your reading this right during your dean's office hours, then turn off your computer RIGHT NOW. Go to your dean and present him or her my idea of forming university drum corps and leaving the non profit DCI corps to the high schoolers in your probably financially strapped pay to play or cut music program district.

Seriously, if all you want is the Drum Corps experience then wouldn't you rather walk across campus to a rehearsal for a few hours after classes every other night or so. Then sleep in your own bed. Take a shower in your own room and maybe compete with other NCAA Drum Corps within driving distance. That instead of trying to get to the airport after classes tomorrow. And spending thousands in tuition.

In my VCR'd 1989 PBS DCI Broadcast, (viewed by about 8 times the number of ESPN's final broadcast in a nation without Drum Corps) Bobby Knight stated that DC members should get college credit for being in DC. Maybe your university could have an actual scheduled time for a DC class satisfying liberal arts requirement. Maybe there could be a class specifically in computer aided drill design. Think of the possibilities. Be inspired by the lyrics in the most artistic DCI program ever "Open Up Your Mind, Let The Fantasies Unwind. yada yada The Music of The Night." SCV 1988,1989.

Go to your deans right now. Like before you do anything else. Don't even stop at the cafeteria for a cup of coffee and get distracted. If you have to go to the bathroom then go ahead if you might have to wait for awhile NCAA Drum Corps could be a reality this summer with hundreds of super sophisticated programs. Then after your dean states it would be a great idea, you can cancel your flight to whatever corps you're heading to this or next Friday. Then maybe the DCI corps can contact the local levy failure school district and fill your spot.

RIGHT NOW......... RIGHT NOW....... GO TO YOUR DEANS.... UNLESS OF COURSE YOU'RE READING THIS AT 2 A.M. THEN GO TO BED DREAMING OF A STANFORD CARDINAL DRUM CORPS COMPETING AGAINST THE SCV ETC. AND WAKE UP AND MAKE NCAA DRUM CORPS A REALITY.

Scoring system article in about two weeks depending on library order filling time.

• Like 3

And I'm quoting from an earlier post of mine:

As a graduate from a school of music, what you ask for is highly unattainable, and here's why:

Many universities rent out facility space on weekends for events on campus. A drum corps would require the use of practice rooms, performance halls, athletic fields (good luck getting the AD to acquiesce to your request), and dorm space. Tying up these resources with a unit that isn't even an institutional requirement, much less something that isn't a cash-cow immediately, makes no sense to administrators.

The schools that have marching ensembles are highly protective of their instruments. Rarely do they loan out equipment to students, so good luck with strangers who aren't officially affiliated with the schools. These ensembles already have reputations in the area/region. Why should they start something new when they already have bands/orchestras/choirs. You'd need student interest first, with faculty backing, and even then, you would still need a sympathetic ear from the owners of the purse-strings (donors).

Asking music students to start it is even crazier. Music majors take upwards of 13 classes a semester to get 15-18 credits. That doesn't include the time spent in practice rooms preparing for lessons, ensembles, and other academic coursework needed to graduate. I was lucky enough to get through 18 credits while working 20-25 hours a week and pass with honors (barely).

• Like 6

Schools already have bands. They don't need another "band" that only brass players and percussionists can participate in and don't even get press for the school.

Marching bands only survive because they play halftime (and pregame, etc) at giant NCAA football games and have some novelty value. Nobody is going to show up to see them compete.

• Like 1

I'm not holding my breath that a single person is going to take you up on this. Not just because it's a really lousy idea, but when you basically call a group of people spoiled, entitled, rich brats that are stealing from the less fortunate, they usually tune you out after that.

What's that? No, you did....here it is:

God...all you preppies have right in your university and you still take DC spots from high schoolers.

I was a college music major. My dad worked at an oil refinery and my mom stayed home to take care of us. You got something you want to say to me about being a spoiled, rich preppie?

• Like 5

Lets summarize the OP

"Hey, Lazy, Spoiled, A-holes - I have this great idea. *Unintelligable garbage** So, Go do it now. No really, turn off your computer and do it now. Why aren't you doing it yet?"

• Like 8

Schools already have bands. They don't need another "band" that only brass players and percussionists can participate in and don't even get press for the school.

Marching bands only survive because they play halftime (and pregame, etc) at giant NCAA football games and have some novelty value. Nobody is going to show up to see them compete.

Maybe some people would like a band that only brass players and percussionists can participate in. It works for OSU... tongue.gif

Seriously, we've got winter guard with no brass. We've got winter percussion with no brass. Maybe something like this would work in the winter besides basketball band. I mean concert bands are pretty much mandatory year round, so this would be another ensemble to participate in...

This isn't my scoring system or part II(b). For I am still waiting for some more DVD's from the library to get examples to associate with the system.

I would like to challenge, maybe request is a better word, that every music major in a Drum Corps go to their music dean and ask them about starting a university drum corps using all the practice facilities, music libaries, professors, bflat instruments, practice rooms,auditoriums,maybe even indoor football field facilities. etc. God...all you preppies have right in your university and you still take DC spots from high schoolers.

If your reading this right during your dean's office hours, then turn off your computer RIGHT NOW. Go to your dean and present him or her my idea of forming university drum corps and leaving the non profit DCI corps to the high schoolers in your probably financially strapped pay to play or cut music program district.

Seriously, if all you want is the Drum Corps experience then wouldn't you rather walk across campus to a rehearsal for a few hours after classes every other night or so. Then sleep in your own bed. Take a shower in your own room and maybe compete with other NCAA Drum Corps within driving distance. That instead of trying to get to the airport after classes tomorrow. And spending thousands in tuition.

In my VCR'd 1989 PBS DCI Broadcast, (viewed by about 8 times the number of ESPN's final broadcast in a nation without Drum Corps) Bobby Knight stated that DC members should get college credit for being in DC. Maybe your university could have an actual scheduled time for a DC class satisfying liberal arts requirement. Maybe there could be a class specifically in computer aided drill design. Think of the possibilities. Be inspired by the lyrics in the most artistic DCI program ever "Open Up Your Mind, Let The Fantasies Unwind. yada yada The Music of The Night." SCV 1988,1989.

Go to your deans right now. Like before you do anything else. Don't even stop at the cafeteria for a cup of coffee and get distracted. If you have to go to the bathroom then go ahead if you might have to wait for awhile NCAA Drum Corps could be a reality this summer with hundreds of super sophisticated programs. Then after your dean states it would be a great idea, you can cancel your flight to whatever corps you're heading to this or next Friday. Then maybe the DCI corps can contact the local levy failure school district and fill your spot.

RIGHT NOW......... RIGHT NOW....... GO TO YOUR DEANS.... UNLESS OF COURSE YOU'RE READING THIS AT 2 A.M. THEN GO TO BED DREAMING OF A STANFORD CARDINAL DRUM CORPS COMPETING AGAINST THE SCV ETC. AND WAKE UP AND MAKE NCAA DRUM CORPS A REALITY.

Scoring system article in about two weeks depending on library order filling time.

"SOMEONE ###### IN MY CHEERIOS BLAH BLAH BLAH seriously, what your saying is considered "economic nonsense"

OKAY!