Best brass line of the 90's

129 members have voted

1. 1. Which brass line was the Best of the 90's?

• 1990 - Star of Indiana - Belshazzar?s Feast
    • 1991 - Star of Indiana - Roman Images
    • 1991 - Blue Devils - Conversations in Jazz
    • 1992 - Star of Indiana - American Variations
    • 1993 - Star of Indiana - Medea & Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste
    • 1994 - Blue Devils - My Spanish Heart
    • 1995 - Cadets - An American Quintet
    • 1995 - Blue Devils - Carpe Noctem
    • 1995 - Madison Scouts - A Drum Corps Fan?s Dream
    • 1996 - Phantom Regiment - A Defiant Heart
    • 1997 - Blue Devils - As Time Goes By
    • 1998 - Blue Devils - One Hand, One Heart
    • 1999 - Blue Devils - Rhythms... at the edge of time
    • 1993 - Blue Devils - A Don Ellis Portrait

I'm going to argue for the non-beaten path for a minute and explain my vote for the '98 Blue Devils. BD that year, for me, was the closest I've ever heard to a brass line playing a "perfect" execution of their book. It very much felt that, while they matched what the other top corps were doing that year, they could have taken it up a whole other level had they chosen to. While there are many lines (including many BD ones) that give off the whole laid-back vibe with their performing, either BD sold it to me that year better than anyone else I've heard, or they really did totally max out what they had.

Mike

(As an aside, I seem to remember seeing Phantom in midseason '96 and again at Finals and thinking a the brass book seemed slightly watered down, especially with some of the soprano parts in the closer. Am I imagining that in hindsight?)

Lots of great lines from which to choose....

But I have to go with the 1991 Blue Devils. Absolutely fantastic book and line.

Surprised there is not a lot of love for Star 92. The best Star hornline imo, and just slightly better than 91 BD for best line of the decade.

• Like 3

Just wondering everyones favorite brass line from the 90's. My personal choice is Star 93. :worthy: Followed by Star 91 and Madison 95

You left off Blue Devils 1993 who were tied with Star Of Indiana and Blue Devils were also the Brass Caption winner of 1995, not Madison (though I could have certainly seen 95 going either way).

Edited by bmjfelts1988

'93 Star got a perfect score in either semis or finals. they were smoking that year.

That is not true in either case. Blue Devils actually won in total in Semifinals and then it was a tie between Star and Blue Devils in finals with a 19.60.

If you checked closely in 1995 it was a 3 way tie for the top brass. Madison, BD and Cadets all tied!

That is incorrect. I'm looking at the recap as we speak and it has Blue Devils alone in first with a 9.7 and then Cadets and Scouts tied for 2nd with a 9.6. Close enough though, that's for sure. But BD actually won brass in 95.

That is incorrect. I'm looking at the recap as we speak and it has Blue Devils alone in first with a 9.7 and then Cadets and Scouts tied for 2nd with a 9.6. Close enough though, that's for sure. But BD actually won brass in 95.

I am not sure. im only a youngin.... but is it possible that BD won it finals night, but the "high brass" was an average between the three nights back then which was a 3 way from what i have heard?

Note: I am based all on hear-say, which is why i made it a question not a statement.

You left off Blue Devils 1993 who were tied with Star Of Indiana and Blue Devils were also the Brass Caption winner of 1995, not Madison (though I could have certainly seen 95 going either way).

In 1993 Star won Brass by themselves. In 1995 Cadets, Madison and Blue Devils tied for Brass.The brass award was decided then by a avarage of all three nights, and when all three nights were taken into effect those three corps tied for high brass.

• Like 3

My memory is old and I cannot remember the numbers off the top of my head but for some reason thought we did have a perfect brass score one of the nights finals week in 1992... but if that wasnt the case forgive me.

I know that the second half of the season we talked frequently about doing what we could to achieve that and felt earning that number was an attainable goal with our line. But it would also take the judging community not being afraid to stick that number out there.

Edited by SACMellos2010