Make your own DCI

The easiest way to start a drum corps is to marry a rich widow who is months away from death.

The easiest way to start a drum corps is to play the lottery with your entire paycheck for a year or more.

The most effective way to start a drum corps is to realize that rarely does "good" come from "easy"

Then you might read Bill Cook's diatribe "So, you want to start a drum corps?". It will bring you back to reality.

You can find it HERE

• Like 1

I was talking to my dad about how there in no DCI in northern VA or DC and he thought we could just make our own I just want to know if that is even remotely possible and if so how would I go about doing this?

DCI what? Corps? Show? Circuit?

I am not making fun of you, I promise, just hoping that you are young and not in the know. One used tuba will run ya around $4,000 (that is just one tuba) and you will need many; you will also need trumpets, mellophones, baritones, euphoniums, snares, tenors, bass drums, marimbas, vibes, chimes, timpani, guard equipment, a semi trailer with a tractor rig to pull the thing.... Oh, and one bus lease will run ya about $1100 per day (that's per day per bus) and you will need three or four of those; food for over 100 people three times a day everyday (and a mobile kitchen to fix the food); staff with salaries; insurance; ad infinitum... so if you and your dad can facilitate say a cool $1,000,000 up front investment and another $600,000 per year to run the corps, then yeah, I say go for it.

Edited by Stu

I am not making fun of you, I promise, just hoping that you are young and not in the know. One used tuba will run ya around $4,000 (that is just one tuba) and you will need many; you will also need trumpets, mellophones, baritones, euphoniums, snares, tenors, bass drums, marimbas, vibes, chimes, timpani, guard equipment, a semi trailer with a tractor rig to pull the thing.... Oh, and one bus lease will run ya about $1100 per day (that's per day per bus) and you will need three or four of those; food for over 100 people three times a day everyday (and a mobile kitchen to fix the food); staff with salaries; insurance; ad infinitum... so if you and your dad can facilitate say a cool $1,000,000 up front investment and another $600,000 per year to run the corps, then yeah, I say go for it.

This is exactly what I tried 2 tell him...

I find the potential of this post interesting, and I believe that the person suggesting that a corps be formed in Virginia may be young, and with youth there is often hope and enthusiasm, but this also has to be rooted in reality. Realistically I know that funding is a major issue, and one that has to be dealt with realistically. However, funding is not the only issue. I have has the pleasure to know some of the people who started drum corps, competitive bands, and drill teams in the Boston area. I did not know them back in the day, but I knew them years later when they told the stories. Most of them did not start corps to start a drum corps (or band or drill team), or so they claimed. They were looking for a way to keep a large number of kids involved, “off the streets” teach discipline, and inspire excellence. While these ideals sound lofty, they also wanted a competitive activity. Many corps were started in neighboring communities so pride was involved. Marching activities fit the bill. While this may sound old fashioned, as a person who has coordinated many youth activities, I often think first about what is a good way to keep kids involved and interested in something, and then come up the activity. Also specifically for drum corps, I have read a bit about some more recent corps The Academy and Carolina Crown, and both have mission statements that could fit a variety of activities for young people and stress many similar goals and values. Drum corps is a way they can instill these ideals.

So, what does my trip back in history have to do with this topic? To the young person who started this thread, as I’m sure you know, drum corps is not a “let’s put the show on right here” kind of activity. It requires many skilled people. You would need someone who knows what the activity is all about, actually a team of such people. You would also need development people who can raise funds, people who would be good at recruiting, organizational people, just to name a few. Some of these people with business or organizational skills may not even know what drum corps is, but they may still want to be involved and have expertise they can share. Getting this team would probably be more difficult than, as one person suggested, finding a wealthy person with only a few months to live and marrying her, but a good team of supportive and like-minded people would be a good place to begin.

I was talking to my dad about how there in no DCI in northern VA or DC and he thought we could just make our own I just want to know if that is even remotely possible and if so how would I go about doing this?

Just to clarify, do you want to start a corps, or just host a show in your area?