partial list of DCI Casualties

How disappointing. Guess I will have to go with "Not as intellegent as you seem.

I was of course speaking of the recording industry and how the systems in place back then and the placement of the microphones could really make corps sound bad. coupled with a show designed that constantly exposed weak players or weak sections. To generalize as you have without any REAL knowlege or experience of the past really shows a lack of thought in your statements, which gives your comments no real Legitimacy. Don't you think?

My comment was simply about playing in tune. Quality of recording or microphone placement has nothing to do with intonation.

If anything, digital recordings will exaggerate intonation issues, while analog can more easily mask them. This is why most producers choose to still record strings separately on analog tape.

My comment was simply about playing in tune. Quality of recording or microphone placement has nothing to do with intonation.

If anything, digital recordings will exaggerate intonation issues, while analog can more easily mask them. This is why most producers choose to still record strings separately on analog tape.

Wow ,,So you were actually in front of ALL of the other corps that you judged to be out of tune?? Because Microphone Placement and equipment used can have a great deal to do with the way a corps sounds on the recording along with the primitive show designs of the day and the instruments used. Tell me just how old are you to be able to experience them all first hand? I mean, Thats a long list of corps and you judge only ten or is it twelve to be in tune??????

Also alot can be done at the computer when producing recordings of today (this is something that I am familiar with) so that the engineers of today have a distinct advatage over the yesteryear folks.

Edited by BariBrian

Wow ,,So you were actually in front of ALL of the other corps that you judged to be out of tune?? Because Microphone Placement and equipment used can have a great deal to do with the way a corps sounds on the recording along with the primitive show designs of the day and the instruments used. Tell me just how old are you to be able to experience them all first hand? I mean, Thats a long list of corps and you judge only ten or is it twelve to be in tune??????

Microphone placement and equipment have no affect on capturing intonation. ###### gear or placement isn't going to make a solid group suddenly sound out of tune.

Granted, those horns corps used to play on... absolute miserable instruments... and definitely difficult to play a lot of notes in tune.

About my age, corps were still playing on 2 valve G horns back when I started.

Granted, those horns corps used to play on... absolute miserable instruments... and definitely difficult to play a lot of notes in tune.

Do not try to once again wiggle out with your art of using convenient philosophy; you knew full well when you posted your first comment that it was tremendously more difficult to play in tune with a Rotor-G than a modern Bb. Yet you still chose to slam those thousands of corps who did not have the luxury of using the modern Bb horns. Once again, the art of a snake oil salesman at work here.

Dan,

All I'm seeing is someone that just wanted to start trouble here by posting something that quite frankly made even LESS SENSE then the original Poster if you can imagine that. Posting something just for the sake of stiring others up, makes no sense other then you like to tick others off. I will admit that hornlines of today are much more advanced, but your comment is no better then someone from this historical site blindly making the statement that hornlines of today are boring! What purpose is served??

Edited by BariBrian

Dan,

All I'm seeing is someone that just wanted to start trouble here by posting something that quite frankly made even LESS SENSE then the original Poster if you can imagine that. Posting something just for the sake of stiring others up, makes no sense other then you like to tick others off. I will admit that hornlines of today are much more advanced, but your comment is no better then someone from this historical site blindly making the statement that hornlines of today are boring! What purpose is served??

Not wanting to start trouble, just putting things in perspective. There seems to be a constant argument on these forums about how the number of corps that have folded over the years is somehow a bad thing.

I would argue that scholastic marching bands have replaced these local drum corps and generally do a much better job of it.

About making sense, I am not sure how it would not make sense to state that only a handful of those corps could actually play in tune. This is not something subjective. If even the absolute best of the best in the late 60's and early 70's struggled to play in tune, it should be quite clear that those placing on a lower level would not be executing nearly as well.

Sorry, Michael, but trust me; the D-Ray meant it the exact way he posted it (his first line drips with his condescending sarcasm). He can attempt to spin it all he wants, but he truly deep down sees no real (DCI) value in any corps which cannot perform up to his standards; and that includes the thousands of corps listed by the OP. To him the Appleknockers, the Audubon Bon Bons, etc... are mere fodder for his condescending intellect, and they are not part of the rich heritage of DCI to him but corps to be scoffed at. And I did not pull this out of thin air either; his disrespect for most all DCI corps which are not to his standards is confirmed by reading many, many, many, of his postings within other threads.

I've read the latest comments and I must say this about my earlier defense of his possible motives.

I was a fool. Please forgive me.

• Like 1

Do not try to once again wiggle out with your art of using convenient philosophy; you knew full well when you posted your first comment that it was tremendously more difficult to play in tune with a Rotor-G than a modern Bb. Yet you still chose to slam those thousands of corps who did not have the luxury of using the modern Bb horns. Once again, the art of a snake oil salesman at work here.

I'm talking about in comparison to other corps of the same era who actually could play in tune.