Accent Marching Academy

This is where it gets a bit shady:

[...]By hitting submit, the applicant and parent/guardian agrees to pay the clinic amount of $400.00, warmup packet of $10.00, plus the transaction fee of of 3.5% ($14.35) of the total cost to Accent Marching LLC. Transactions should be expected to take place within 24 hours of your order. A receipt, as well as the appropriate warm-up packet will be emailed to your email provided. If you have any questions, please contact customer service at 512.222.3681.

[...]

*A quick search on this phone number reveals this website:

http://www.manta.com...ent-productions

(Manta.com, the website used to create the link below, is also 100% free to the user.)

*The website lists this address as its base of operations:

3645 West 6th Street

Los Angeles, CA 90048

*A quick google search places Accent Productions in Los Angeles, California between Beverly Hills and West Hollywood:

http://maps.google.c...ved=0CB4Q8gEwAA

And what's more, I don't think the address actually exists, since google maps says it is giving an "approximate address".

This is what I found when I searched for 3645 W. 6th Street, Los Angeles, CA. Looks legit.

Cool. When one enlarges that photo, it turns out they've got an acupressure and health sauna within crawling distance on the corner with Ardmore. And USA Tophead, Inc. is based there as well. One can get an acupressure treatment and relax in a sauna before taking care of all their tophead needs. Add a Taco Bell and I might even consider moving there.

Just for anyone who didn't follow that link and couldn't tell if Rifuarian and Michael were joking: clicking the Street View option on that Google Maps link indicates that 3645 W. 6th Street is merely the corner with S. Ardmore Avenue and not a real address. The building on that corner, with the nearest genuine address on W. 6th Street, is the "Ardmore" building with an address of 3625 W. 6th Street. There are a variety of businesses in that building, as per a corner signboard listing shops in the "Ardmore Plaza", and I suppose it's possible that mail addressed to 3645 W. 6th Street is actually delivered to an office there. But Accent is not listed on that sign. Then again, they could have moved in since the photo was taken.

The next consecutive address is 3663 W. 6th Street, on the other side of Ardmore.

I see that the Accent customer service phone number that NRO mentions is the same number that appears in the youngentrepeneur.com notice (from 2011, apparently) that friceox quoted in post #108 of this discussion thread: "Feel free to contact me via phone and ask for Chris."

Has anyone tried calling?

Alternately, the phone numbers for several businesses based in the Ardmore Plaza, including Hyun Dae Capital Management, Hyundae Health Sauna, and Hyunn Dae J's Yoga Studio, are clearly visible in the Google view: one could call them to ask if Accent is indeed based in that building.

Michael: the nearest Taco Bell is at 3029 West 8th Street. Google says it's an 18-minute walk. But there is a Donut King right next to the Ardmore building, and a Star BBQ catty-corner from there.

To all the folks playing Clue Club, trying to street view addresses and calling neighbors, etc. .. seriously?

In this day and age, and particularly for a business like what these guys are doing, having a physical office would be highly unnecessary and a complete waste of money.

Businesses do need to have registration and correspondence addresses. For a startup like this, it is a good idea to use one that isn't the home of any founders, as it adds a layer of privacy (who wants their house listed on everything???).

Anyway, who cares if their address is Trump Tower or a Circle K in Des Moines?

What really matters... will they provide solid educational experiences for kids and will it be priced right to be a good value proposition?

• Like 2

Nice to see they're deleting public comments on their Facebook page now.

:rock:

i noticed. they also turned off commenting if you haven't liked their page. this was after i was told "no, next week, LOL" when questioning the release date of the new partnership.

i called them out on the classy (minus CL-) behavior of lol'ing at me and pointed out their information was confusing and had CHANGED since i posted originally, and then asked why the new camp dates weren't released as promised by the "end of this week." I asked at 8:30 pm EST. about 5 comments have since been deleted.

sketchy mcsketch.

• Like 3

actually, you can no longer comment on their facebook page - period. i "liked" the page for a few seconds to ask why they were deleting comments and found i couldn't post anywhere.

seriously, WHAT THE ####? you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen. "oh, wahhhh, i don't like being held accountable for what i say, so i'm not going to let people SPEAK to me." really mature. that and the "LOL" at me show me the level of immaturity and petty behavior linked with this organization. incredibly unprofessional.

Edited by BariEuph
  • Like 2

Michael: the nearest Taco Bell is at 3029 West 8th Street. Google says it's an 18-minute walk. But there is a Donut King right next to the Ardmore building, and a Star BBQ catty-corner from there.

Bah...I'm not going to walk 18 blocks. Perhaps a Del Taco? I've had to give up donuts due to being on a low-carb diet (lost 17 pounds since the New Year and five inches around my waist...yay) and I'm a vegetarian, so the Star BBQ wouldn't have much appeal to me.

But come to think of it, the diet doctor did tell me I needed to walk more, so that might not be a bad thing.

To all the folks playing Clue Club, trying to street view addresses and calling neighbors, etc. .. seriously?

What really matters... will they provide solid educational experiences for kids and will it be priced right to be a good value proposition?

To the top statement: Is it February over there in Europe? It sure is here. (Translation: Off-season...Hurry, June.)

To the bottom statement: I couldn't agree with you more. Time will tell if the camps will be priced in accordance with perceived value. I'm hoping suggestions here will be helpful to that end.

Has anyone tried calling?

Alternately, the phone numbers for several businesses based in the Ardmore Plaza, including Hyun Dae Capital Management, Hyundae Health Sauna, and Hyunn Dae J's Yoga Studio, are clearly visible in the Google view: one could call them to ask if Accent is indeed based in that building.

Sounds to like the Accent that would answer would be Korean.

In this day and age, and particularly for a business like what these guys are doing, having a physical office would be highly unnecessary and a complete waste of money.

Businesses do need to have registration and correspondence addresses. For a startup like this, it is a good idea to use one that isn't the home of any founders, as it adds a layer of privacy (who wants their house listed on everything???).

Anyway, who cares if their address is Trump Tower or a Circle K in Des Moines?

As a general rule, you'd be right . . . but not in this case. You're backing the wrong horse here. Kid's a goofball. Wouldn't matter if he had Warren Buffett giving him advice. He's gotten plenty of good advice from very smart people (no I don't mean DCP), all for naught. The only thing to do is to sit back and watch the train derail.

• Like 3

As a general rule, you'd be right . . . but not in this case. You're backing the wrong horse here. Kid's a goofball. Wouldn't matter if he had Warren Buffett giving him advice. He's gotten plenty of good advice from very smart people (no I don't mean DCP), all for naught. The only thing to do is to sit back and watch the train derail.

Exhibit A - Facebook and Zuckerman... he had a couple of false starts and the things he promised were proven frauds (as in proven in court). Seems things worked out for him.

Exhibit B - I had more than one false start, biting off more than I can chew, but had a company worth more than $30M by the time I was 25. If I or anyone else paid attention to all the criticism before that age.. from those twice my age, but without the courage to step in themselves... well... I'd probably be at Chuck-E-Cheese these days. Thankfully the kids working on this are ignoring DCP.

Bottom line... unless you're in the game, taking a risk yourself... back off... or step up. Kids stepping up and taking a risk, regardless of if they succeed or fail, are light years ahead of those that don't have the balls to get in the game in the first place.

Enough of this nonsensical DCP criticism... if you have created something yourself... step up and offer suggestions. If you have never created something yourself, keep quiet and get back to the sidelines... where you have decided is your place.

(For those about to assign a negative to this... not one single individual that has ever had balls enough to take the risk to put themselves out there, that knows what it feels like, would assign a negative... fact. Knock yourself out Lazyboy Quarterbacks!!!)

• Like 1