Jupiter Quantum Series Tuba

NewTuba2011

Not really. The Kanstul Grande model runs in the $6000 range, actually very reasonable for a horn like that. Kanstul doesn't give away any product or do package deals, that's the reason they haven't established a bigger footprint in the drum corps world, and they aren't associated with a line of percussion equipment, so you can't be cool and have the same stamp on all your equipment. The Dynasty 4v contra lists at over $11,000, though no one really pays list price.

• Like 1

1330227647[/url]' post='3122642']

Not really. The Kanstul Grande model runs in the $6000 range, actually very reasonable for a horn like that. Kanstul doesn't give away any product or do package deals, that's the reason they haven't established a bigger footprint in the drum corps world, and they aren't associated with a line of percussion equipment, so you can't be cool and have the same stamp on all your equipment. The Dynasty 4v contra lists at over $11,000, though no one really pays list price.

I have to agree, Kanstul is fairly priced for the other stuff out on the market.

... The Dynasty 4v contra lists at over $11,000, though no one really pays list price.

When I contacted Dynasty a year or so ago, they gave me the updated MSRP on the 4V G 5/4 Contra....$17,500! Glad I picked mine up slightly used...

• Like 1

When I contacted Dynasty a year or so ago, they gave me the updated MSRP on the 4V G 5/4 Contra....$17,500! Glad I picked mine up slightly used...

GOD ####.

I think the 4V G 5/4 Contra from Kanstul is somewhere in the $10,000-$12,000 range.

What about the playability of the Jupiter? Is it up to par with Yamaha's? or does it sound cheap and tinny like the rest of the Quantum line?

The Jupiter sound is fantastic. It plays well. It plays differently from the Yamaha (also an excellent sounding horn), but the sound is excellent.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

The Jupiter sound is fantastic. It plays well. It plays differently from the Yamaha (also an excellent sounding horn), but the sound is excellent.

I agree, for the 15min I played on one, I was pretty impressed with the play ability. I (personally) just didn't like the balance (weight) of the horn. And they are about 1/2 the price of a Yamaha or King marching tuba. So for High Schools on a low budget, I would go for the Jupiter tuba.

GOD ####.

I think the 4V G 5/4 Contra from Kanstul is somewhere in the $10,000-$12,000 range.

List price, yes. Actual sale price is more like $6,000.

What about the playability of the Jupiter? Is it up to par with Yamaha's? or does it sound cheap and tinny like the rest of the Quantum line?

They're not really comparable. The Yamaha is a lighter-weight horn, but the Jupiter (and the Kanstul) are heavy-duty contras. The Jupiter plays all right, intonation is fine and the tone is all fine. The downside is that Jupiter isn't using as high a quality of brass as Kanstul, and they try to make up for it with extra bracing and soldering. The result is the same problem the early King Ultimate contras had: bad balance and more broken braces. You can solder all day long but if what's being braced isn't up to par, it's going to break.

So I guess my point is, if money is your bottom line, you'll be okay with it, but just as important to think about is quality and the related issue of repair costs. Is it worth the money you'll be putting into it in the long run? That's the real question.