Jupiter Quantum Series Tuba

NewTuba2011

So I guess my point is, if money is your bottom line, you'll be okay with it, but just as important to think about is quality and the related issue of repair costs. Is it worth the money you'll be putting into it in the long run? That's the real question.

That's a really good point, but in the end Kanstul loses there to, because of the opposite end of the spectrum. I'd go King (System Blue) or Yamaha before i'd spend one dime on Kanstul, mostly because you can get much better value in those brands (good sound, quality construction, great pricing, great customer service).

That's a really good point, but in the end Kanstul loses there to, because of the opposite end of the spectrum. I'd go King (System Blue) or Yamaha before i'd spend one dime on Kanstul, mostly because you can get much better value in those brands (good sound, quality construction, great pricing, great customer service).

so you say King (system blue), not just King. What makes you add the System Blue? how are they different from the normal Kings?

The System Blue is a completely new horn design, while the Ultimate contra started out as a repurposing of the King 2341 body. The SB contra has its design roots in horns like the Kanstul and the big Dynasty, in that it's got the length necessary for good balance and good weight distribution, it's solid without being just absurdly heavy, and it's good the sort of throat to bell flare ratio that makes for a good dark sound and good projection. As for price, I'd have to check that but it's not as set in stone on these because of the way C/S is doing the pricing. The SB line is also only available through a specific dealer in each region--my work, for example, is the dealer down here--rather than it being available through anyone who deals in C/S products.

The System Blue is a completely new horn design, while the Ultimate contra started out as a repurposing of the King 2341 body. The SB contra has its design roots in horns like the Kanstul and the big Dynasty, in that it's got the length necessary for good balance and good weight distribution, it's solid without being just absurdly heavy, and it's good the sort of throat to bell flare ratio that makes for a good dark sound and good projection. As for price, I'd have to check that but it's not as set in stone on these because of the way C/S is doing the pricing. The SB line is also only available through a specific dealer in each region--my work, for example, is the dealer down here--rather than it being available through anyone who deals in C/S products.

At the DCI-West show, a dealer said they start in the $6,500 range. That was half a year ago, not sure if they knocked the prices up or down.

so what about the sound of the System Blue? does the design make it sound splatty? or is it just the BD? because in all of the videos I've seen the blue devils showcasing it, it sounds really splatty. Is it the horn or the players?

I think it's your broken ear :)

• Like 2