NewTuba2011

I'll be "That guy"...

So....

Cornets

Trumpets

Trombones

bell forward euphoniums

Flugel horns

are undesirable horns in a concert setting due to the fact they are all 'directional' in nature???

I believe he is speaking specifically of tubas.

I would also not want a bell forward euphonium in my concert band if I could help it.

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

I'll be "That guy"...

So....

Cornets

Trumpets

Trombones

bell forward euphoniums

Flugel horns

are undesirable horns in a concert setting due to the fact they are all 'directional' in nature???

The modern tuba was developed specifically because of the undesirability of a directional horn on that voice. The popular horn in bands around the turn of the century was the helicon, which looks like this:

220px-Joueur.jpg

Because of the wrap, bore and bell, it is a very directional instrument. John Philip Sousa didn't like them, he found them too brash and so developed the sousaphone in conjunction with either J.W. Pepper or Conn depending on who you ask. The original sousaphone had an upright bell, which lead to its modern nickname, the "raincatcher." It was also a larger-bore instrument, with a wider bell and bigger throat. The idea was to have it more like an upright tuba, but it had design changes that carried back over into the concert horn world: European horns still tend towards longer, narrower bodies and bells (relatively speaking in the case of some horns like the 6/4 Rudy Meinl beasts) but the most popular American tubas are short and fat with wide bells, like the classic York played by Arnold Jacobs and the many horns that descend from it in design (like the King 2341 or my own horn, the Getzen CB50). We like our tuba sounds big, broad, and dark, and an in-your-face contra wouldn't provide that in a concert setting.

• Like 3

1335307927[/url]' post='3134702']

The modern tuba was developed specifically because of the undesirability of a directional horn on that voice. The popular horn in bands around the turn of the century was the helicon, which looks like this:

220px-Joueur.jpg

Because of the wrap, bore and bell, it is a very directional instrument. John Philip Sousa didn't like them, he found them too brash and so developed the sousaphone in conjunction with either J.W. Pepper or Conn depending on who you ask. The original sousaphone had an upright bell, which lead to its modern nickname, the "raincatcher." It was also a larger-bore instrument, with a wider bell and bigger throat. The idea was to have it more like an upright tuba, but it had design changes that carried back over into the concert horn world: European horns still tend towards longer, narrower bodies and bells (relatively speaking in the case of some horns like the 6/4 Rudy Meinl beasts) but the most popular American tubas are short and fat with wide bells, like the classic York played by Arnold Jacobs and the many horns that descend from it in design (like the King 2341 or my own horn, the Getzen CB50). We like our tuba sounds big, broad, and dark, and an in-your-face contra wouldn't provide that in a concert setting.

While I love my King Marching Tuba, I would always choose my 191 or Kanstul in a concert setting.

Edited by Contra94

I love the bass horns in any configuration and in my my college concert band we had a Bb an F and a monster BB Recording Tuba. What is the origin and background of this instrument. I suppose I could Wiki it to start with, but I prefer first to hear from players with experience playing the horn. Upright, Bell-front. and more plumbing than you have in your home. A magnificent instrument.

Kevin

1335405933[/url]' post='3134999']

I love the bass horns in any configuration and in my my college concert band we had a Bb an F and a monster BB Recording Tuba. What is the origin and background of this instrument. I suppose I could Wiki it to start with, but I prefer first to hear from players with experience playing the horn. Upright, Bell-front. and more plumbing than you have in your home. A magnificent instrument.

Kevin

I loved playing on my middle school's recording tuba, I believe it was a King, it had a ton of air leaks due to having no case, and it being at a middle school, it was never maintenced or having any student that knew how to play tuba.

C

You were lucky in middle school to even have any Tuba, let alone a monster recording Tuba. Sorry about the leaks, but that's what they make duct tape for. I guess leaky valves are a different story. It also may have been fortunate there was no case. The moths would have eaten all the felt and the poor horn would have been rolling around getting dented. It probably got dented with or without.

You must have been a pretty big kid. Our college concert band player was about 6'4", 235 and treated his marching band sousaphone as if it weighed 10 pounds, and we were using those old super heavy weight, silver, filagreed sousas In those days. Carl would have been big enough to play defensive end. He was about the same size as Alan Page. We were glad he chose bass horn - and this guy could play. As could the guys on the Bb and F. It was very good band, not a Michigan or Michigan State, we had no music majors, but they eventually made it to Carnegie Hall.

Just some anecdotes

Kevin

C

You were lucky in middle school to even have any Tuba, let alone a monster recording Tuba. Sorry about the leaks, but that's what they make duct tape for. I guess leaky valves are a different story. It also may have been fortunate there was no case. The moths would have eaten all the felt and the poor horn would have been rolling around getting dented. It probably got dented with or without.

You must have been a pretty big kid. Our college concert band player was about 6'4", 235 and treated his marching band sousaphone as if it weighed 10 pounds, and we were using those old super heavy weight, silver, filagreed sousas In those days. Carl would have been big enough to play defensive end. He was about the same size as Alan Page. We were glad he chose bass horn - and this guy could play. As could the guys on the Bb and F. It was very good band, not a Michigan or Michigan State, we had no music majors, but they eventually made it to Carnegie Hall.

Just some anecdotes

Kevin

You play euph now! devil.gif

Seems like the King line in general all have larger bell and Bore sizes than the Jupiter line and the system blue stuff even larger

I'm playing a Jupiter Quantum tuba right now and it sounds great! It has a really nice dark tone compared to some other brands. It does weigh a lot more than others, but it's not a significant problem if you work out and practice with it. My only real complaint is the screw-on bell that falls off sometimes if you jerk the horn around too hard, but the Quantums are not the only horn with that feature.