Broken Arrow - where would they place at DCI?

49 members have voted

1. 1. Where would BA Place at the 2011 DCI Championships

• 10th
    • 11th
    • 12th
    • 13th
    • 14th
    • 15th
    • 16th
    • 17th
    • 18th
    • 19th
    • 20th
    • 21st
    • 22nd
    • 23nd
    • 24th
    • 25th

No, not at all. You misunderstood me then because I don't necessarily think they would. I voted 18th. Despite the fact that (as you accurately stated) they have a different "life dynamic" than that of drum corps, they accomplish in what little time they have just as much as some drum corps do. That's what makes it so grand and worth a comparison.

Ehhhhh, there really is not that much total time difference. Broken Arrow has multiple summer camps; the marching band meets for long periods of time after school hours in the fall; the instruments are in the kids hands pretty much every day during band class for nine months out of the year; and many of them are engaged in small ensembles, solos, and private lessons. Compared to many OC corps who only start once-a-month weekend camps in January, do not have move-ins until mid-late June, and only do a hand full of shows leading up to Finals, the total time commitment is somewhat similar. (and so is the total cost I might add)

Edited by Stu

Ehhhhh, there really is not that much total time difference. Broken Arrow has multiple summer camps; the marching band meets for long periods of time after school hours in the fall; the instruments are in the kids hands pretty much every day during band class for nine months out of the year; and many of them are engaged in small ensembles, solos, and private lessons. Compared to many OC corps who only start once-a-month weekend camps in January, do not have move-ins until mid-late June, and only do a hand full of shows leading up to Finals, the total time commitment is somewhat similar. (and so is the total cost I might add)

Yes! I had the wonderful opportunity to work with a talented young flutist in a very small school district. She transferred to Broken Arrow and we have spoken off and on briefly about her experiences. I would agree, that they probably spend more time working on their show than many of the lower tiered corps. The scheduling and time devotion in these groups is pretty intense.

Very good point.

Yes! I had the wonderful opportunity to work with a talented young flutist in a very small school district. She transferred to Broken Arrow and we have spoken off and on briefly about her experiences. I would agree, that they probably spend more time working on their show than many of the lower tiered corps. The scheduling and time devotion in these groups is pretty intense.

Have you ever been to their campus? :smile: I was there once. They have everything any band OR corps would want in the way of resources. Looks like the administration just spills money on them. :smile: Which is GOOD! They should! That program deserves whatever it wants after all they have accomplished.

Have you ever been to their campus? :smile: I was there once. They have everything any band OR corps would want in the way of resources. Looks like the administration just spills money on them. :smile: Which is GOOD! They should! That program deserves whatever it wants after all they have accomplished.

Are you aware that the competitive marching band is extra curricular (voluntary) and costs each performer around $2k in dues each year (just like a corps)?

Surely nobody here thinks Pioneer is better???

There is something to be said for difficulty, simultaneous responsibilities, and the differences in percussion sections (specifically battery).

Much like the top drum corps, the top BOA units "play the game" very hard. Their shows are designed to hide their weaknesses and make their strengths shine. Their show designs are also extensively planned in advance, unlike lower DCI groups.

In lower tier DCI, you may not know who your members are, even when the season starts. You have no idea who the best sections are, who the worst are, sometimes you don't even know how many members you will have. The planning and "playing the game" that you can do there, is pretty limited. They just write a show, and hope that their guesses towards strengths and weaknesses are remotely close.

Surely nobody here thinks Pioneer is better???

Goals are vastly different. The goal of Broken Arrow Marching Band is to win BOA competitions within the framework of a scholastic music environment; the goal of Pioneer Drum & Bugle Corps is to develop important life skills, enhance the member's positive social development, and enhance the quality of life for all members within the context of DCI (ie Pioneer couldn't care less about winning a ring and a piece of plastic, and cares even less if Broken Arrow is considered more competitive).

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

Broken Arrow has had several terrific BOA shows. The 2010 "Wizard of Oz" program was especially memorable. And last year, I can not erase the visual in my mind of each guard woman jumping into the arms of a musician.

As an annual host of a summertime DCI show, the kids in Broken Arrow are exposed to DCI quality.

Honestly, after watching several VERY lackluster shows from the 2012 season:

Boston Crusaders, Glassmen, Blue Knights, Spirit, Troopers, Academy, Colts, Crossmen... etc etc etc.

I honestly think if everything was 'even' and such, Broken Arrow could have placed as high as 8th - 12th IMO.

This band executes at a level that is EASILY equivalent to most drum corps, and BETTER than several.

Flame me if you wish, but to ignore the obvious is just close-minded!

• Like 1