Homemade Drum Corps

En929

DCI is nice, but I think I'm starting to like seeing more home grown type drum corps like the ones that are in the videos below. It’s just something very entertaining about watching the drum corps that don’t have as big a budget as the top teer corps do and thus, they have to make it work some kind of way, and I like the music that some of them play. It’s kind of like homemade cookies, homemade pizza, homemade tacos. It’s the same idea.

Edited by En929
  • Like 1

DCI is nice, but I think I'm starting to like seeing more home grown type drum corps like the ones that are in the videos below. It's just something very entertaining about watching the drum corps that don't have as big a budget as the top teer corps do and thus, they have to make it work some kind of way, and I like the music that some of them play. It's kind of like homemade cookies, homemade pizza, homemade tacos. It's the same idea.

Both groups are from the Philippines. Drum corps is actually growing outside of North America and YouTube is a huge driver of this. Kids see guys doing stuff on YouTube and want to do that.

I think the future of the activity is really outside of the US.

• Like 2

Both groups are from the Philippines. Drum corps is actually growing outside of North America and YouTube is a huge driver of this. Kids see guys doing stuff on YouTube and want to do that.

I totally agree

Marching mallets.... those were the days!

Except when we got the marching vibe... not so easy!

• Like 1

I agree. The 27th Lancers used to be from Massachusetts with most of their marchers coming from that state. But they've been gone as a competitive Corps for over 25 years now. Today, the new 27th Lancers competing Drum Corps are from Manila...... not Massachusetts.( the current 27th Lancers have lots of videos on Youtube ) There are more Junior competitive Drum Corps now in the Far East than in Canada or the Northeast USA. Things change. Drum Corps International is truly more International now than ever before with marchers marching in Corps from all over the world with increasing frequency. I would expect the Drum Corps activity to continue to expand into more warmer climates of the world over more colder climates over the next 25 years. Show venue sites included. Its already happening, and right here in North America compared to previous show site venues for the vast majority of show site venues. It'l be the global warming movement era of the future Drum Corps growth, imo.... so long as it remains primarily an outdoor competitive activity with competition on soccer or football fields.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Philippines has had a lot of drum corps over the year. I remember when I cooked for BD in 87 one of the drivers showed me lots of photos of corps over there. I ended up staying there for a summer 5 years later and asked a few people and was surprised how many people there know of drum and bugle corps. I'm sure it's much bigger now! Yea Youtube is quite a tool for spreading things isn't it?

• Like 1

Philippines has had a lot of drum corps over the year. Yea Youtube is quite a tool for spreading things isn't it?

Yes. If one googles " 27th Lancers " on Youtube, one will see that there are a few more videos in number on display there of the current and newer 27th Lancers Drum Corps from Manila than the 27th Lancers from Massachusetts from an earlier era of DCI Drum Corps from bygone days...... while everyone's tastes in Drum Corps shows can be different, ( especially when we're talking globally now ), I personally liked the older 27th Lancers Drum Corps from Massachusetts shows better from the 70's and 80's more so than the shows of the newer and more current 27th Lancers Drum Corps from Manila.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I’m not sure there what, if any connections there are between the original 27th Lancers and the New 27th Lancers from the Philippines. They may have just borrowed the name, and perhaps were inspired by the original corps and if you had to choose a corps as a role model, 27th would be an excellent choice. While I know that 27th never performed “Vehicle” or “Copacabana” competitively as one YouTube clip of the newer corps shows, the original 27th did have an amazing “Rocky” in 1977 and you can see a 27th influence from yesteryear on this newer corps when they play the same piece. It’s also my understanding that drum corps is still in its infancy in the Philippines, it’s unrealistic for comparisons to be made at this point. Also, when drum corps takes root in a country with as many challenges as the Philippines, even if they can’t play a note, it’s a success story.

Yes. If one googles " 27th Lancers " on Youtube, one will see that there are a few more videos in number on display there of the current and newer 27th Lancers Drum Corps from Manila than the 27th Lancers from Massachusetts from an earlier era of DCI Drum Corps from bygone days...... while everyone's tastes in Drum Corps shows can be different, ( especially when we're talking globally now ), I personally liked the older 27th Lancers Drum Corps from Massachusetts shows better from the 70's and 80's more so than the shows of the newer and more current 27th Lancers Drum Corps from Manila.

• Like 1

That is one thing about the Philippines. Copyright infringement is rampant there. It's a shame they took 27's name but I am sure it was somewhat of a tribute I guess. I remember seeing people selling dubbed cassette tapes of artists like Bryan Adams with photocopied jewel case inserts etc. They would sell pants called Livie's instead of Levi's. All kinds of knock off products there and considering their economic situation though, it's not surprising.

Edited by Tim K