A request for the Blue Devils

even the 02 Cavies show, which I dislike despite near universal love, was new, and had melodic content for extended periods.

part of the problem IMO is visual, while 50% of the number is more important than music. BD's smart enough to capitalize on it. here's hoping the tweaks in the judging system level it out and make the activity 50/50 again

I'm not defending their choices -- just trying to posit an explanation of why we get what we get from them.

A couple of people commented on an earlier post of mine (suggesting that BD would head right back down obscure after last year's detour) implying I was wrong. Maybe people will get what they want from BD this season.

Not really...baseball attendance in general has declined with the economy, but the NY Yankees are still first in attendance. In fact, they have been ranked first in attendance every year starting in 2003. the last time they were below 3rd was 1997...actually the 90's was their worst attendance ranking decade since the 1900's.

Yankee's attendance

Thise must be ghosts then that are seating in those seats around home plate and the 1st and 3rd base lines. I didn't comment on the NY Yankees attendance overall. I commented on their attendance in their new ballpark " home plate " area. Those seats... even into their playoff games there are an embarrassing eyesore to the club as the nation that watches on TV can see many of these seats vacant ( or there are ghosts, spiders, and cobwebs in them )

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming re. a fan's public request on here to the Blue Devils Corps.......

Can I just say that Stan Kenton's City of Glass Album is not very accesible. I've listened to the whole album start to finish and I couldn't get through it. Sure it's very creative music, performed very well by the orchestra. But that stuff is not my cup of tea.

I also have to say that BD's arrangements were very very very true to the originals. Right down to the bass line and even the feel and groove the percussion laid down.

But to expect people to like and be able to listen to that show is just ridiculous. Yeah there will be people who enjoy that, because that music might be their cup of tea. But that is obviously the minority.

When the BD designers wrote that show they in no way had the fans in mind. How could they possibly? I mean the music they chose to play still isn't a very popular album. Well popular, but I guess you can say infamous. Atonality just isn't the majority of people's cup of tea. Especially in the jazz world.

I respect and have even studied and written atonal music. But it just isn't for me. It is extrememly creative and that has to be recognized.

But I don't want to hear it on a football field when I am there to be entertained. And with BD i was not entertained.

But this post doesn't speak for 2008, 2009, and 2011, other years I was not entertained. (08 and 11 I recognize are more accesible shows, but they just weren't to me)

• Like 1

And I was listening to the album as I typed that post. I remember a lot why I didn't like it.

• Like 1

you said they should not care about winning and do a show thats 4th or 5th place material, just for a year. I don't know if you realize what corps your talking about but just to remind you, this corps hasn't placed below 2nd place since 2006 and haven't placed below 5th in over 30 years. I don't think they would be "ok" with not caring about winning. if your gonna send pm's to me with the caps lock on, internet screaming about how I need to grow up, then you need to come back down to earth if you think a corps will just "not care about winning." Get real before you try to get me.

You completely misunderstood my post to begin with but that's ok. I really don't care because all one has to do is click the link to view your profile and look at your very cruel and distasteful profile pic to realize that you are obviously a troll with no class and ZERO respect for the kids who participate in this activity. Have a nice day.

Edited by stevedb1975
  • Like 3

You completely misunderstood my post to begin with but that's ok. I really don't care because all one has to do is click the link to view your profile and look at your very cruel and distasteful profile pic to realize that you are obviously a troll with no class and ZERO respect for the kids who participate in this activity. Have a nice day.

Just looked at his profile pic.

:thumbdown:

• Like 2

Atonality just isn't the majority of people's cup of tea. Especially in the jazz world.

This is a false statement and almost laughable (no disrespect intended).

Jazz in and of itself is probably one of the most...if not the most "atonal" genres in music. Study the front runners..."Miles Davis, Wayne Shorter, Max Roach...and the list goes on and on. Even in it's form...you have a 12-16 bar melody "head" and the remaining 8 minutes of the piece is imrovisational solos and featuretts with arpeggiotic patterns and little to no melody....and when the true jazz greats really do it right...it gets pretty "out there". To say nothing of the very THICK chord structures of jazz music in general.

Don't even get me started on all of the modal jazz that even in the melodic head of the piece does not even have much form to the "melody" (if in some cases you can even call it a melody at all").

No offense, but to make your statement above is to not know the true history and theoretic form of jazz music...unless you simply didn't word what you wrote above the way you had intended to...and that's possible (I do it all the time myself).

Edited by bmjfelts1988
  • Like 2

This is a false statement and almost laughable (no disrespect intended).

Jazz in and of itself is probably one of the most...if not the most "atonal" genres in music. Study the front runners..."Miles Davis, Wayne Shorter, Max Roach...and the list goes on and on. Even in it's form...you have a 12-16 bar melody "head" and the remaining 8 minutes of the piece is imrovisational solos and featuretts with arpeggiotic patterns and little to no melody....and when the true jazz greats really do it right...it gets pretty "out there". To say nothing of the very THICK chord structures of jazz music in general.

Don't even get me started on all of the modal jazz that even in the melodic head of the piece does not even have much form to the "melody" (if in some cases you can even call it a melody at all").

No offense, but to make your statement above is to not know the true history and theoretic form of jazz music...unless you simply didn't word what you wrote above the way you had intended to...and that's possible (I do it all the time myself).

I meant every word. Just because it's improv, patterns, thick chords doesn't mean it's atonal. Something doesn't have to have a melody to be tonal. Actually a good portion of BD's 2010 show was still tonal.

Yes jazz artists probably more than anyone else explore that line between tonality and atonality. I will give you that. But it is still very tonal music.

I didn't realize this was Facebook, thanks for going through every post i've ever made and putting a dislike

on it hahaha, and I find my meme very hilarious thank you very much, quite puntastic. now if you have no real argument to back up your flawed request, or unable to have a right minded discussion with me, please, refrain from acting like a 13 year old you tuber that dislikes everything :thumb up:

once again, I did not completely misunderstand your post, you said that it would be ok for BD to have a 4th or 5th place show, as long as it was entertaining. with the word "entertaining" being a very generalized word, there are many different forms of entertainment. personally 2010 BD is a favorite of mine just because how emotional people get over it, now i call that GE! to ask that BD go back and do a older style show would be non productive and would be a step backwards in progression terms. "complacency kills" is a quote that i believe describes BD attitude, do something new and exciting every year, something fresh!

I would like to have a civil discussion about this but when you say i have a lack of respect for the kids, kinda ruins the whole, civil, part of it. I respect the kids of the activity because how much faith they put into their staff's and organizations, which you should try doing. I believe the staff at BD knows what is best for their organization and not some DCP forum wanderer.

• Like 4