1982 27th Lancers is DCI.org Download of the Week

TWO SEVEN!!!

Edited by gak27

There are so many reasons why I love the videos/recordings from 1982.

- They were in Montreal. I was there. So were tens of thousands of others - what an energetic crowd!

- DCI improved the absolutely horrible recording issues from 1981.

- Aside from yard lines, there isn't any other marking on the field - which made it so much easier to read the drill.

- Crossmen were selling old capes at their souvenir stand. I bought one.

- Vanguard's bottle dance and the crowd's subsequent reaction!

- Cadets and their first year with their new style. I know there are complaints about echoing in the stadium, but the echo produced by the push at the end of their show can still be heard in the overhead beams of Olympic Stadium if you listen closely (perhaps that is why they sometimes come crashing down....).

- Crossmen showing their displeasure at coming in 7th that year and using their shoes to outline a giant "7?" on the field at the end of retreat.

- That one member of the rifle line from 27th with her arm in a sling who still went out on the field and did as much as she could!

- Freelancers - what a great show!

There are so many other reason why 1982 was a great year!

Edited by LincolnV

There are so many reasons why I love the videos/recordings from 1982.

- They were in Montreal. I was there. So were tens of thousands of others - what an energetic crowd!

- DCI improved the absolutely horrible recording issues from 1981.

Primarily, that was accomplished by moving the field back 15 feet, which allowed less sound to be caught under the extensive overhang of the roof that caused so many issues in 1981. That prior year, I was in the stadium for the acoustic check each corps had made available if they so desired. Madison Scouts' staff had a bass drummer hit his drum hard so they could measure the echo and the drum reverberated like a muffled explosion. Also, while I was there, someone in the back stands turned on a vacuum cleaner and it practically wiped out the corps on the field during the sound check. It was quite amazing how much better things were in 1982 with the field further back.

There are so many reasons why I love the videos/recordings from 1982.-

- the confusion during retreat that allowed us to play ourselves off.

Some of the details might not be exact but...I seem to remember there being a time deadline/noise ordinance that the show was under. As a result, we were supposed to just leave the field under a cadence after the scores were announced. Several corps did so, to the understandable dismay of fans and corps members alike. Also, we somehow managed to wind up next to SCV on the field for retreat - I think it had to do with the order they had us in the Olympic-style retreat and how the filled the spots on the field - so we were kind of 'trapped' as some of the other corps 'just left' under cadence. At some point during all of this, the playing restriction must have been lifted b/c our drum majors came back to us saying "We're playing! We're playing!" I believe we were the first corps allowed to do so; as the first notes of "Danny Boy" started the crowd went bonkers!

Also, while I was there, someone in the back stands turned on a vacuum cleaner and it practically wiped out the corps on the field during the sound check. It was quite amazing how much better things were in 1982 with the field further back.

A noise that loud is similar to that made by an automatic Poutine machine. Whole unpeeled potatoes go in one side, french fries/cheese curds/gravy come out the other side.

In the sample clip provided, behind the soloist in 27th you can see a Carlsberg Beer RV on the back track. Nothing revives a corps member who might have fainted from exhaustion more than a tall glass of beer.......

Edited by LincolnV

Was that bird chirping around 8:22?

Was that outside my window?

I'm at work and so the show won't play again, and I'd love to know that if that was the corps, I have to know HOW they did that! :)

Of course, if the bird sound was coming from outside, I'm going to be very embarrassed...

Edit: Okay, it really was the corps!!! How'd they do that?!?!?!?

Edited by ranintothedoor

I'm at work and so the show won't play again, and I'd love to know that if that was the corps, I have to know HOW they did that! :)

Of course, if the bird sound was coming from outside, I'm going to be very embarrassed...

It is some sort of a water-filled whistle.

It is some sort of a water-filled whistle.

Sweet thank you!

This was the standard in bird whistles for quite some time. (I own one.) It is filled partway with water through the spout and the turn screw is opened to get the best combination of gurgling/chirping. They're very easy to overfill. Edited by Michael Boo