1982 27th Lancers is DCI.org Download of the Week

1982 was a year with its challenges for 27th, but you'd never know it in the finals performance. It took place on the coattails of 1980 and 81, two of the corps'best years, and there were staff changes and recruiting challenges, but 27thpulled it off. The 27th of late June early July 1982 improved steadily and even at finals surprised everyone with a great show.

What I enjoy about this clip, and the Legacy DVD is microphone placement. You can hear someone, either a fan or an instructor yell "Bring it home to Boston, bring it home" as the wheel begins. Love it! Great selection from a great show.

Edited by Tim K

There appears to be an error on the Fan Network page for 1982: the Crossmen there are shown in 6th with a score of 88.850 (compared to 88.650 for 27th Lancers), but checking CorpsReps, I see a score for Crossmen of 88.050.

There appears to be an error on the Fan Network page for 1982: the Crossmen there are shown in 6th with a score of 88.850 (compared to 88.650 for 27th Lancers), but checking CorpsReps, I see a score for Crossmen of 88.050.

Great catch. My historical notes match what you've seen on CorpsReps, plus I confirmed you are correct in both Drum Corps World's "A History of Drum Corps" and the DCI 1983 program book. I'll pass this on so it will be corrected very soon.

Thank you and to anyone else who finds such a mistake on the DCI website, please let someone know who can fix it.

1982 was a year with its challenges for 27th, but you'd never know it in the finals performance. It took place on the coattails of 1980 and 81, two of the corps'best years, and there were staff changes and recruiting challenges, but 27thpulled it off. The 27th of late June early July 1982 improved steadily and even at finals surprised everyone with a great show.

I joined midseason, along with several former Royal Crusaders, to help with the "recruiting challenges". There was also a significant rewrite (drill-wise, mostly, I believe) of the 2nd half of the show, so when we arrived in Revere almost all of our practice time was spent on this part of the show. I also bounced between a couple of spots before settling into the mellophone line so I didn't actually practice the OTL until runthroughs the night before my first show. I remember a parking lot, sunburn and hoping we'd do enough runs to give me at least a chance of learning the drill.

You could easily post your travails of practicing at aparking lot in Revere in the summer in the "Things we put up with" thread. Unlike most cities and towns located along the Massachusetts coast, Revere did not have the benefits of sea breezes and crisp, salty ocean air once you walked away from the beach, it was just hot! Hopefully you did get the chance to sneak off to Kelly's during breaks.

[quote name='gak27' timestamp='1332251822' post='3127488']

I joined midseason, along with several former Royal Crusaders, to help with the "recruiting challenges". There was also a significant rewrite (drill-wise, mostly, I believe) of the 2nd half of the show, so when we arrived in Revere almost all of our practice time was spent on this part of the show. I also bounced between a couple of spots before settling into the mellophone line so I didn't actually practice the OTL until runthroughs the night before my first show. I remember a parking lot, sunburn and hoping we'd do enough runs to give me at least a chance of learning the drill.

Edited by Tim K

Note: prior to the 1980 season, Two-Seven ended their show (OTF) with "Danny Boy" for seven (not ten) previous seasons: 1970, 71, 72, 75, 76, 77, 78, and 79.

Note: prior to the 1980 season, Two-Seven ended their show (OTF) with "Danny Boy" for seven (not ten) previous seasons: 1970, 71, 72, 75, 76, 77, 78, and 79.

I don't know what you mean by this. I had written, "The corps performed the piece 10 times over its history, during a time period that spanned from one year prior to the founding of DCI to one year after this particular season." That means from 1971 through 1983. Is CorpsReps.com wrong in not listing 1970, for which it lists "Scarborough Fair"? They always like hearing from people who have corrections, in case you know something they don't.

My mention of the number of times the corps played "Danny Boy" included 1983. The years CorpsReps lists are 1971, 1972, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982 and 1983.

I'm further confused because the years you list add up to eight, not seven. Thank you for the clarification.

• Like 1